PDA

View Full Version : EDITORIAL:Nintendo`s new console for 2005?

RobertoOrtiz
06-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Quote:
"That's the rumor du jour over at the Computer and Video Games website. Nintendo's latest console, the GameCube, has fallen to third place in terms of sales, with Sony's PlayStation 2 the dominant leader and Microsoft's Xbox in second place. Nintendo might feel that by releasing the Gamecube 18 months after the debut of the PS2, and in the same quarter as the Xbox, they lost a good chunk of the marketspace."
Link:
>>LINK<< (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Games&action=page&obj_id=38830)
-R

Asgorath
06-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Wierd, I heard that Nintendo has sold more Gamecube than Xbox since its released... :surprised

modestmouse
06-06-2003, 02:17 PM
that that would be the quickest release for a new console upgrade ever!

gametech
06-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Releasing a console before sony is not always better.
take a look at what happened to the sega dreamcast.
The hardware was good, the games where good. But everybody was made to think that sony's machine would be so much better. So most people waited to see wat sony had to offer.

I think the same might happen if nintendo releases the gamecube2 to soon. Most people will wait to see what sony does with ps3. And yes in the end it's all down to good games.

Neil
06-06-2003, 03:06 PM
yeah, i agree with you too.
I don't think ps3 is coming for another 2 years or more though.

The single reason why GC failed...
The stupid media that games came on!

When the xbox and ps2 came out, it was pretty much the same time as the start of the DVD craze. I bought my xbox just b/c i could play my DVD movies on it also.

And another less legit reason (but a reason why some people still did go xbox or ps2) is b/c the hardware has the ability to be mod'ed.
I have never heard of any nintendo mods available, yet ps1 was probably the king of it and ps2 was no problem either

mattregnier
06-06-2003, 05:17 PM
This is very true, but I think nintendo always banks on the fact that kids will buy their system. i mean i wonder why bandai entertainment is ranked number three in top sales of games worldwide. it's because of all that pokemon, digimon, crap that these little kids abuse like crack, and nintendo has most of the licenses to that stuff. i mean back in the days of the N64 there was even a special edition pokemon case. also their choice to go with a smaller disk format for the sake of making the games non-copiable was really dumb. if the GC would have been able to play regular dvd's it would have made it an instant buy, but now i'm along with everyone else waiting for them to drop it to 99 and come with three games and 2 controllers before i get one.

Neil
06-06-2003, 08:07 PM
nintendo has Resident Evil.

heavyness
06-07-2003, 02:22 AM
didn't XBOX say that they will launch XBOX 2 same time as PS2? something along the lines that MS didn't want to be 2nd or 3rd out. so that would put all three systems at 2005!?

Larry_g1s
06-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Asgorath
Wierd, I heard that Nintendo has sold more Gamecube than Xbox since its released... :surprised

I've heard that too. I think it's because the xbox is leading the GC in the U.S. that people get these numbers mixed up. I think the GC is still 2nd World wide. Just what I've read. :shrug:

iBlue
06-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by kole
didn't XBOX say that they will launch XBOX 2 same time as PS2? something along the lines that MS didn't want to be 2nd or 3rd out. so that would put all three systems at 2005!?

Just more vaporware from microsoft :annoyed:

victor throe
06-09-2003, 09:11 AM
i dont understand why the ps2 is still #1

i cant stand it

nice controllers though

klingspor
06-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Yeah, these rumours come up every other month, but I don't really see this happening, as it's the equivalent to commercial suicide... nobody in their right mind would buy another Nintendo console when it can be expected that it will be obsolete within 4 years! :eek:

There's simply is no outstanding reason for a new machine at the moment, the improvements will likely be negligible.
For me, even the difference between the N64 and the GameCube where too small - I mean, from 8bit to 16bit, and from 16bit to 32/64bit the leap was HUGE, and you got new games that were simply impossible on the former system. But quite frankly, I haven't seen any game lately that a Nintento 64 wouldn't have been adequately capable of. Sure the graphics wouldn't be as pretty, but other than that there's been too little progress.

And as such, I don't really see any problems with the GameCube performance-wise, but the games are a problem.
IMHO, the few rare games that are actually any good are, well, VERY good (Metroid, Zelda)! And Nintendo's focus shouldn't be on the power of the console, but on the quality of the games, which is severely lacking lately... let my say that Mario Sunshine was not the only disappointment for me on the Cube. They better make it up to me with Mario Kart DD... :annoyed:

Anyway, I (and probably many others) are not going to shell out another 22000Y for a pretty graphics update, if the games don't improve vastly as well...

Just my little rant there, excuse me...

Neil
06-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Nintendos focus has never been on the power, and always has been on the games.
Hence their stubbornness to make games that are just fun and cartooney and not get sucked into the M rated games craze. (with very few exceptions)

heavyness
06-09-2003, 04:50 PM
http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?story=3409

looks like nintendo is heading into a new direction. back when the GC was released, they said they would support the system till 2008 [although, they just stopped supporting the 16 bit nintendo in Japan]. maybe the GC2 will be backward compatible and allow the GC to be forward compatible.

think about, when you make a game for a PC, you make it for the slowest PC and the fastest PC. if nintendo could make the GC1 down shift the graphics on new games, and the GC2 take the game to the fullest, every game would work on both. keep both systems in the market and stay ahead with PS2 and Xbox and not lose any of the casual/kidddie gamers. then again, i'm weird, so i'am just ramblin' on...

victor throe look how many PS2 have been sold. PS2 released at the right time, and it launched first. soooo many people bought to use as a DVD player. just good timing.

Neil
06-09-2003, 04:55 PM
ps2 also played ps1 games. a BIG bonus for many gamers.
xbox had no games, GC couldn't...

Larry_g1s
06-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Nintendos focus has never been on the power, and always has been on the games.
Hence their stubbornness to make games that are just fun and cartooney and not get sucked into the M rated games craze. (with very few exceptions)

I would definitely agree with you on that, however, that is why I have a little more faith in the Big N now, with the new president Iwato. He is younger and more agressive then the previous President, Yamaguchi (sp?). And I think that is why we are seeing a move to more M rated games, and a better 3rd party relationship, i.e. Final Fantasy back on the GameCube, new Metal Gear Solid:TS game, etc.

bentllama
06-09-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by iBlue
Just more vaporware from microsoft :annoyed:

a little teste, aren't you?

NanoGator
06-10-2003, 09:13 PM
I'm skeptical about Nintendo being behind MS here, especially in light of Zelda's success.

Neil
06-11-2003, 01:12 AM
depends on what country your numbers are from.

Larry_g1s
06-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by NanoGator
I'm skeptical about Nintendo being behind MS here, especially in light of Zelda's success.

From what I've read, Nintendo is behind MS in the US, but ahead of them in World Wide sales (i.e. overall). :shrug:

heavyness
06-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Juggernaut, i think your right. if nintendo or sega make anything, Japan will buy it. Xbox had a shacky start in Japan and both are having problems in other territories. but it seems to be leveling out now. personally, i don't thing we will see a clear winner until he next systems come out. PS3, GC2, and Xbox2 will give us more of a clear picture of who has the sh!t together.

Neil
06-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Seamus Blackley made a good point when he asked why we can't just be content with 3 or more systems?
Everyone always wants to bash and hype which system should be the only system. Ok... so we got 3 systems now, what's the problem?
They all have their goods/bads.

noisewar
06-11-2003, 07:29 PM
Seamus Blackley made a good point when he asked why we can't just be content with 3 or more systems?
Everyone always wants to bash and hype which system should be the only system. Ok... so we got 3 systems now, what's the problem?
They all have their goods/bads.

Because of exclusive content. While it's good for 3 competing consoles to drive each other's progress, it still sucks for the gamer who has limited cash to spend and can't make the committment to a new piece of hardware every time one get a good game.

I'm not being critical of aything, I'm just making an observation. Personally I believe this much competition is good, each company tries harder to put out better games and hardware, but any more competition and things will fall apart. This is a good balance right now.

doodie
06-12-2003, 04:43 AM
yeah, i agree with you too.
I don't think ps3 is coming for another 2 years or more though.

The single reason why GC failed...
The stupid media that games came on!

When the xbox and ps2 came out, it was pretty much the same time as the start of the DVD craze. I bought my xbox just b/c i could play my DVD movies on it also.

And another less legit reason (but a reason why some people still did go xbox or ps2) is b/c the hardware has the ability to be mod'ed.
I have never heard of any nintendo mods available, yet ps1 was probably the king of it and ps2 was no problem either

A very silly post. In fact, the media has nothing to do with it... its blind idiots who seem to think that the Playstation will have .. ahem... I'm embarrassed to say this... better games. When blatantly, the nintendo gamecube has the best games in the world on it...

Oh, and the 'stupid media' is the single reason why Nintendo's Gamecube is the ONLY system not suffering from piracy. I think it was a very smart move to make the system nonDVD. **** it anyway... buy a DVD player... the PS2 was as much as a gamecube and DVD player together anyway!

heavyness
06-12-2003, 04:56 AM
i'm not xbox bashing! i'm not xbox bashing! i'm not xbox bashing! i'm not xbox bashing! i'm not xbox bashing!

but if any system "failed", it would have to be the Xbox [not becasue of the games or internet] but the money it has lost for MS. BUT [BUT!] they are putting in millions of money for the future or the machine, they wont see money till xbox 2 or even 3. but because it is MS, they have the fundung to do so. this is why Dreamcast failed, Sega didn't have the money to take a hit like the Xbox can. once MS gets the Xbox 2 or Xbox 3 out there, have everyone online, buying MS games, that is when they will make there money. right now, they are investing [a crap load of money, but investing]

but, no system has failed, i repeat, no system has failed [not by a long shot]

and as for games, thats just personal opinion. and the media that it is delivered on IS important. the only down fall for the N64 was the price of the RAMS in the cartridges and it's licence fee. i really like the smaller DVDs for the GC, but that DOES hurt itself to [because you can't mod it, you will lose $$$]

klingspor
06-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by doodie
[B]A very silly post. In fact, the media has nothing to do with it... its blind idiots who seem to think that the Playstation will have .. ahem... I'm embarrassed to say this... better games. When blatantly, the nintendo gamecube has the best games in the world on it...

Sorry, I really can't agree with you on this! The GameCube does have many good games. but the PS2 has good games in genres where the GC quite frankly has nothing viable to offer - or can anyone recommend me a good racing game? Fighting game? RPG perhaps...?
I only own a GameCube (and all the older Nintendos...) myself, but I've been looking at the PS2 (GT3, GTA3, FFX, FFXI, Onimusha etc) in envy lately. So much that I actually might switch systems when hardware-buying time comes in 2 years or so!

See, while I enjoy all the remakes of older games, it's quite annoying when those are the only ones worthwhile on a system.
And those games are far from perfect as well: I've played through Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime and Resident Evil in less than 14 hours on my first try, which is simply too little time. Other than that I enjoyed them but damn was I disappointed when I saw that final screen! Yet racers, fighting games or (real) RPGs on the other hand tend to be playable a lot longer - but no, they're not available!

Oh, and the 'stupid media' is the single reason why Nintendo's Gamecube is the ONLY system not suffering from piracy. I think it was a very smart move to make the system nonDVD. **** it anyway... buy a DVD player... the PS2 was as much as a gamecube and DVD player together anyway!

Here I agree with you, I believe it was the right decision to bypass piracy by using custom media. Still I believe they're losing a lot of sales due to the fact that they're missing a main feature that the competitors have to offer - surely it wouldn't have been that hard to include?

The biggest problem with the harsh competition nowadays is that, for most people, it isn't feasible to own more than one system: Back then, when it was Sega vs. Nintendo, one could afford both systems, because they together cost as much as one system does today. But for some reason, with the competition came the outrageous prices... :shrug:

Larry_g1s
06-12-2003, 10:30 AM
If I could give you some suggestions stefanminning, games coming out this year soon that might satisfy those genre hungers: Final Fantasy: Cyrstal Chronicles (RPG), and Tales of Symphonia (RPG), Street Racing Syndicates (racing), and Soul Calibur 2 f/ Link (Fighting). Just to name a few. :shrug: ... :wavey: And don't forget Viewtiful Joe :thumbsup:

klingspor
06-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Juggernaut
If I could give you some suggestions stefanminning, games coming out this year soon that might satisfy those genre hungers: Final Fantasy: Cyrstal Chronicles (RPG), and Tales of Symphonia (RPG), Street Racing Syndicates (racing), and Soul Calibur 2 f/ Link (Fighting). Just to name a few. :shrug: ... :wavey: And don't forget Viewtiful Joe :thumbsup:

I thank you for those suggestions, Juggernaut! Unfortunately, AFAIK those games are unreleased as of yet (except for Soul Calibur II) and then it'll take even longer for them to be released here in Europe. And how do we know those games will be as good as the publishers want us to believe...?
Sure, there's lots of great games to be released on the GameCube, those that you mentioned and also Mario Kart, Mario Tennis etc., but the problem remains: I NEED SOMETHING TO PLAY NOW, something that takes longer than a day to beat :eek:

Franky
06-12-2003, 11:54 AM
I like the idea of playing Mario on one system,Gran Turismo on another,and Halo on another.Choices is where it's at.But XBOX 2 :drool:
If you can afford them it's all good.But if only one XBOX.:bounce:

heavyness
06-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Soul Calibur II is good [if you liked the first one]. i played the demo, and the graphics on the GC version are great.

heavyness
06-13-2003, 03:23 AM
http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?story=3547

this is funny. but then again...?

bentllama
06-13-2003, 03:51 AM

:twisted:

NanoGator
06-13-2003, 03:57 AM
There's rumorss liike that every year. I remember when Nintendo was supposed to buy Atari and scrap the 'Project Reality' endeavour in favor of the Jaguar.

Larry_g1s
06-13-2003, 06:10 AM

That is funny! :applause:

I'll tell you though, as much as I love the GameCube system, Sony's PS2 has done something I've never seen. I've seen the numbers it generates, and this gen, it would take Nintendo and MS teaming up to take down that Goliath. :eek:

I don't see this happening though. lol I do think MS and Nintendo have made a pretty good case for their consoles to date (granted, just to late for this gen) but it might just carry over into the next gen. where Sony might not be so dominate. I dunno though. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.