PDA

View Full Version : ccRig - free XSI rig

ChristopherC
09-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Hello,

I've just uploaded the rig you can see in the first part of my showreel.
You can download it there : http://www.christophercrouzet.com/resources_ccRig.php
Hope you'll have fun with it, do not hesitate to send me your feedbacks.

/// DESCRIPTION

This rig was originally a prototype developed as an answer to specific
production needs. The arms and legs had to be stretchable, bendable
and reliable. The rigging structure is organized as a list of models,
each model defining a type of member (arm, leg, ...), so it could be
easily generated by script.

Its marked as beta since this release aims to share with other technical
artists the idea behind the bendable rigging structure. However the rig is
fully functionable and can be used by animators, but at the moment there
is no interface (other than the controls box), no utility scripts and no facial.

Created with Softimage|XSI 6.5.

/// FEATURES

___ arms and legs
- IK/FK blending
- stretching with control of the elbows/knees positions
- bending
- elbows/knees lockable
- torsion

___ torso
- FK/spine blending
- stretch blending for the spine

Cheers,
Christopher.

Mudokon83
09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
thanks a bunch Chris, i'll definitely mess around with this :)

looks like a great/fun rig to do some fun animations with

Strang
09-23-2008, 09:27 PM
hey christopher... over here you show interest in some feedback on the rig...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5392656&postcount=80

Strang:
I do care of optimizations when doing some rigging or development. Since I created this rig during my spare time, I had time to optimize it as much as I could. But I haven't done any timing test, nor tried with multiple rigs in the scene.
If it's possible, I would be really interested in hearing your feedbacks about the rig and it's performances once it's released.

i think you got some excellent performance with the feature set you have! on average i was getting 42 fps. our current production rigs at that same quality level ( no final deformations ) run around 25 fps - 30 fps. we have other various operators that are slowing things down, along with proxy versions of the character's mesh which can get kinda dense.

stability of your rig on the other hand i found to be lacking. this is the trade off... we have about 2 times the amount of objects in our production rigs, most of those objects are upvectors for every type of constraint and for our custom ops. this helps create more stability for us.

great rig though, i am showing our animators at work here the rig. that way they can do animation of their own at home.

ChristopherC
09-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Hello Steven,

thank you for your reply and for redistributing the rig to your animators, it's really appreciated !

When you say that stability is lacking, do you mean that you get into troubles with some up-vectors flipping or something like that ? If yes, do you have a step-by-step to reproduce the problem ?
Such things are my fear, I've spent a lot of time to make this rig stable, and animators did some successful tests, but we never know until more people give a try to it.

I'm not sure why you notice me that you puts some up-vectors on every constrained object ? On this rig, there is also an up-vector on every object that needs it. I would be interested if you could tell me more about the difference with your rigs.

Cheers !

edit: woops, a guy on XSIBase noticed me a problem because of a newly implemented torsion system that I didn't really tested... shame on me ! I'm correcting it right now.

edit2: hopefully fixed !

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2008, 08:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.