PDA

View Full Version : making an animated short need software advice.

Nikodemus
06-06-2003, 04:17 AM
Hello, so my first 3d animated short is under way, and now i need to knwo what program i need to buy so i can cut and splice and composit elements and text scroll iver images and adding in music/sound tracks.. i really have no idea since i have never done anyhting like this before.. i am really needing some advice..

i am making elemnts in 3dsmax5 and photoshop5.5 and i am getting to the point to bring things together..

is this something i should do with premiere? after effects? some other video program?

thanks for the help, i really need it :)

Chris
06-06-2003, 07:52 AM
Personally - if you were on a budget, I'd go for Vegas Video, its a good editor with all sorts of compositing effects built in, & it handles audio well. If you had more of a budget - get combustion & cleaner as well(if the package is still going) that'll give you better post processing & effects... :)

Nikodemus
06-06-2003, 08:54 AM
thanks chris :) i remember you answering a question i had back with my beast of burden.. and now this one

you are really cool :cool:

thanks i will look into those :wip:

Nikodemus
06-08-2003, 01:10 AM
hi again

well ihave been reading up and looking into things and about what to buy... has brought me to a few more questions , hope i can get a few more answers .

ok
if i were to use combustion, would i also need to get cleaner? to encode and export the video files? cause i was reading on the discreet site about both of these and saw that combustion can composit things and put your video together.. but can this program also export the file video and encode it? or is that what cleaner is for, sorry im new to this and i want to get it right before i buy anything :)

also . i would like to know, i tried to find this info but was unsuccessful.. or else iw as looking int he wrong spot.
at some points in my animated short i need for a transition to go from color to a camera pan and then it will be greyscale. ( this is 3d max) so .. i need to know if this is something a compositing program can do ? and i just render all out in color and deal with it later,
if not.. i was thinking of 2 strategies. first is it possible to have a material in max transition to another by keyframing? i tried but nothing happened it just gotstuck on the second material.. and my second strategy... was to have my sky sphere make a material for it that when from color to greyscale.. and then as i pan the camera.. have the skysphere rotate and hopefully you woldnt realize it was rotating and it would transistion to greyscale naturally.. i have already made my lights and clouds change to greyscale so that is no prob just the back groud... thanks :cool:

hopefully chris might come back to answer.. but anyone feel free too :wavey:

igoraki
06-09-2003, 06:21 AM
if you are using max,then combustion is good choice for you...best for the money atm,real great cc and keyer.dont think cleaner is a must,but not bad to have it.As for your question,you can change color of your images(make them greyscale)and then make transition between original and grey one.
hope this helps

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.