PDA

View Full Version : Erasing Weights

Solve
06-06-2003, 02:55 AM
my character's left leg has a bit of influence from the right leg. I have no idea how to erase the weight influence. Can someone please tell me?

I greatly appreciate any help.

SheepFactory
06-06-2003, 05:07 AM
You know how to use the paint skin weights tool right?

Or if you want more control , you can choose the problem vertex's and open up the component editor and see which joint is influencing which vertex and change the values there.

Hope this helps ,
Ali

Solve
06-06-2003, 05:17 AM
i have no idea how to use the weight paint tool.

so there is no way for me to just erase the white part and make it black?:surprised

Levitateme
06-06-2003, 08:51 AM
solve, you MUST use that tool! select your skin, then the skin weights tool under smooth skin. if you right clickon your joint you can start painting weights for it. you have some influence from one leg yes? you need that tool. if you want to get exact, turn off normalize weight, and go to component editor, select the verts and set them all to the leg you want . but if your going to skin a character, your going to need to learn how to paint weights. ciao!

loked
06-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Hey Solves,

I honestly recommend you go read up on smooth skinning in the maya documentation and just run through the basic lessons. Skinning can become very boring and tedious when you know what you doing, so I can just imagine if you dont know what you doing :argh:

There's basically 2 methods of adjusting your weights in Maya. Through painting then which is the most user friendly and effecient method. Then theres manually through the component editor. This way is really used after you've painted most of your weights and gotten good results.

Finally, you will need to use influence objects or blendshapes to get really good deformation, but this is a whole other topic. So first get the skinning part right and then worry about that. :thumbsup:

later:wavey:

Loked

Levitateme
06-06-2003, 05:59 PM
hey , hey solvent, if i was you i would start painting, then when you have questions post on here. waht i do , is i work from the extremities in. like the toe joint , to the ankle, to the knee. after i do a joint i hold the weights on it. thats also something you need to learn when to hold weights. you only have to do one side as well. you can mirror weights. if you wanna wait about 3 months...ill make a tutorial on this using flash or soemthing ciao!

Solve
06-06-2003, 10:54 PM
omg :eek:

thanks a million for the help guys!! i've been trying to figure out how to control the way the mesh deforms using smooth bind for months!!

now i don't think i'll ever go back to rigid bind.
I really appreciate the help.

Solve
06-07-2003, 12:51 AM
btw-you guys weren't lying, this is tedious as hell.

Levitateme
06-07-2003, 02:19 AM
I modeled clayface last night, just a game type model not alot of detail at all. it took me about 1 hr to weight him once you do it like 2-3 times it becomes easy cause its so repetive, you pick up tircks to by trial and error, but i would reccomend painting one side for starters. ciao

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.