PDA

View Full Version : What Monitor do you use/recommend?

IMarshal
04-26-2002, 09:51 PM
I'm looking at replacing my current 21" monitor with a newer 21" model.

I would like to hear from everyone what monitor brand/model they own as well as what they might recommend.

I typically run at 1600x1200 but would like to run it at a higher resolution at times.

Currently I own a Viewsonic P815 and PT813 - the P815 was dissapointing with washed out colors and not a very crisp image. The PT813 was better with richer colors but neither of these two have been near as good as my Sony 19" 400PS - now that monitor is awesome (but it's 19").

I was considering either the Eizo Flexscan F980 (not a trinitron) or the Sony 21" Trinitron. Any thoughts?

Lastly, what about dual monitor setup? If I currently own an AGP G3 video card do you simply add a PCI card for the 2nd? If so...what about running the desktop as one large space between the two monitors - does this work with 2 separate video cards?

Thanks

jjburton
04-27-2002, 01:45 AM
I use a Samsung SyncMaster 900IFT. It's about 3 years old and it's awesome. I recently read an article about Monitors and it rated Samsung's at the top. Sorry, don't remember which mag. I haven't ever had any problems with it and the colors are always crisp and vibrant. Unless Samsung really goes down the tubes, that's all I'm gonna buy.

On the video card. Most of the new upper end cards support dual monitors on the one card. You can go with two different cards but if you're gonna buy another anyway, you might as well buy one that supports it. Some examples are ATI Raedon 8500, ATI FireGL 8800, The Quadro 4 cards and all the Geforce 4 cards are supposed to support dual displays. Make sure on the GeForce 4 cards, I've heard that some of the third part makers aren't enabling that feature. You'll have to check on the resolutions.

Hope this helps. Adios.

IMarshal
04-27-2002, 02:54 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I just did a little research and found the following:

* The GeForce 4 cards, as you mentioned, support dual monitors via the nView software (pretty damn slick)
* 3D Labs Oxygen GVX210 support dual monitors but supposedly (this is from a tech engineer) it is *only* about 10% faster than the Geforce 4. He recommended a Wildcat II for me but it doesn't support Duals. :(

Does anyone here own a Wildcat II and vouch that these are significantly faster?

I'm leaning towards a Sony GDM-F520 21" monitor over the Eizo. Any other recommendations.

phatgroovn
04-27-2002, 05:05 AM
I've got a 22" NEC FP1375X. It's got digital inputs - i switch it between my Wintel and my Mac. The thing is friggin awesome! :buttrock: :buttrock:

phatgroovn
04-27-2002, 05:07 AM
The WIldcat most certainly does support dual monitor. The 5000 (i think thats the #) doesnt, but they do make a dual-pipe model. It's either the 5110 or the 5210.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.