PDA

View Full Version : Rig performance(preference) question.

jdexforwords
06-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Hi. I've got something annoying me.

I know I can do same things with Maya's calculation node(like clamp, devide, plusminusAverage...) or with simply expression.

For instance, I have a joint must be rotated with the value of ControlJoint.rotate devided by two. I create Multiply/Devide node and connect ControlJoint.rotate and I can get devided value. But I can get same value with the simple expressionn like "ControlJoint.rx / 2".

Here is a question. I'm not Maya master, I mean, I can not recognize which way is the good way to take me the faster operation in Maya.
And which the way do you guys prefer? and why?

thanks.

galactor
06-06-2003, 01:05 AM
Working with Calculation Nodes is faster then using Expressions. This is because Expressions are always evaluated, and that slows down your Rig. It would only be notticable if you have a lot of calculation to do.

:: Galactor ::

jdexforwords
06-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks.:buttrock:

Octagon
06-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by galactor
Working with Calculation Nodes is faster then using Expressions. This is because Expressions are always evaluated, and that slows down your Rig. It would only be notticable if you have a lot of calculation to do.

:: Galactor ::

Just as a follow up: this is only true for scenes, that do _not_ large numbers of characters.

In a crowd shot a single expression holding all relationships for _all_ characters would evaluate a lot fast than the evaluation that comes with each characters set of math nodes.

It's because of the way Maya evaluates things. You can find more info on this on Jason Schleifers "Fast Animation Rigs" DVD.

Matthias

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.