PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation Reel

MVDB
09-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi all,

class 4 has come to an end.. Next will be 5 and 6, Short Film ..

So here's my progress, without any Motion Blur (yet). Also didn't want my animation to be carried by any background music..

Hope you like it..

Click on image:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l184/_MVDB_/TillClass4.jpg (http://koelekoe.nl)

mttjss
09-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Nice Michael!
Really like the facial animation and the cartoony animation in the jump and walk cycle.
I think a simple musical score would still fit nicely to keep the reel upbeat and lively.
I would also say to put your best piece at the end of the reel and you 2nd best at the front.
So I think you should do the 2 person at the end so thats the last thing a person seeing this will remember.

Good luck with class 5 & 6.

Matt -

ajfrank
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Very good animation man. I really like all your animation. You really hit the 12 principles pretty good.

Mudokon83
09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
looking great michael! always keepin' an eye on your stuff on my AM friend list :)

good luck w/ short film too!

aes
09-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Solid work man, I'm surprised there's not more comments. You have a nice sense of timing and flow, I think your polish could be a little tighter, I felt like I saw some pops. I think you should do some more acting pieces, and different, more serious ones to round things out. When you turn this into an actual reel, instead of just a progress, I'd recommend dropping the weight test, that one felt off to me, kind of poppy, and not consistently weighty. The problem I have with putting your 2nd best last is what if the viewer's never get there. Anyway, great work, keep it up.

-Alonso

MVDB
09-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Hi Matt, thanks so much.. The thing about putting my best work first is realy because people nowadays don't have the time and view the reel in it's whole.. Especialy when sending it in If I apply, those firms see such an amount of reels come by, you would be lucky if you get a few seconds of their time..

Hey thanks a lot, Adrian! Yeah, lotta work to hit them all 12 ;)

Hey Colin, thanks man! Yeah, brainstorming a lot lately, this upcoming classes will be a blast, but also pretty busy. Considering the job on the side and all.. ahwell, this is what we came for, right?

Hey Alonso, appreciate the comment! Yes, I hear ya.. More acting shots, heh? Well, I'm going to, but this is my progress reel to where I'm now (class 1 to 4), Cheers!

Thanks again guys, appreciate the comments.

monkey-sage
09-22-2008, 06:29 AM
I think that you should loose the walk cycle that you have, it doesn't add anything new to your real that you haven't already demonstrated your capabilities of. You've got some nice stuff.

Aben-Athar
09-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Great work Michael! Good luck on next classes! :thumbsup:

luiso
09-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Great Job!

I like specially the characters' attitude in the first shot. The second one is a good acting too. I like the whole stuff, but I think I'll remove the last 4 or 5 shots, they don't show nothing that you didn't show before and break the balence of the reel (it's only my opinion...)

Congratulations, very nice job!images/icons/icon13.gif

luiso.

SJM
09-22-2008, 12:19 PM
reel looks great... your timing flows well, though i agree with luiso on the crits

goodluck :)

JCork
09-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Really nice animation. I would also agree that you should put one of the first clips you showed at the end of your piece rather than it all being at the beginning. It will jsut make a stronger impact on the audience and help them remember your demo reel. Again, nice work!

Mudokon83
09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
yeah i was lucky enough to take class 2 while work was in a "lull" so i hope i can stretch that lull through to class 3 and 4 but we'll see :)

JCork
09-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I see. Well, I look forward to seeing you completed reel!

phantomworkshop
09-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Ya know, I remember seeing your modeling work way back when over @ SDM Forums and being so impressed and now that you're tackling Animation as well, that's just awesome! Good luck and great job on the progress reel so far. I'll see you around AM ;) I'm starting next week.

MVDB
09-24-2008, 05:40 AM
monkey-sage, thanks! Been thinking about that, but it's a walkcycle from the WIZ, with the soundtrack 'ease on down the road', which I think a lot of people can relate to.

Aben-Athar, Cheers!

luiso, Thanks a lot. You have a point, and yes my reel will be cut at the end. For now, I just wanted to show the whole progress I've been thru.. ;)

MarlonJohn, Thanks you, appreciate the comment.

JCork, Cheers! True, but people (studio's) don't have the time to look at a whole reel.. This is why it's wise to put your best stuff first, because each second of the time you get from them, is very valuable..

Mudokon83, If you can't stretch it, just squash it a little.. ;) Good luck!

phantomworkshop, Thanks a bunch! Means a lot! Good luck to you and have a blast. You're in for an amazing ride!

Versiden
09-25-2008, 11:03 AM
dude!.. so you're MVDB.. hehehe
so many AMers here and I dunno who they are ;)
(it's me Martin btw)

your reel is awesome man!

CGTalk Moderation
09-25-2008, 11:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.