PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Releases RenderMan Pro Server 14.0

saycon2000
09-18-2008, 12:31 AM
https://renderman.pixar.com/products/news/rps14.0.html

Pixar Releases RenderMan Pro Server 14.0
Includes New Interactive Rendering Technology

EMERYVILLE, CA - (September 17th, 2008) Pixar Animation Studios today released version 14.0 of its Academy AwardŽ winning RenderMan Pro Server software. Significant performance enhancements include accelerated ray-tracing, faster processing of large polygon datasets, optimized hair performance, faster AOV's, and enhanced threading scalability. New core features facilitating the development of custom tools include a re-rendering mode for accelerated interactive shading and lighting, a new SDK for easy linking, a Python binding for simplified integration, user-defined structures in the RenderMan shading language, (RSL 2.0) an API for reading brick maps, and a new format for point clouds. RenderMan Pro Server 14.0 also offers full compatibility with 64-bit Windows Vista desktop and 64-bit Windows HPC Server 2008, increasing the choice of available render-farm pipeline configurations.
"RenderMan's image quality is fantastic, and its flexibility allows us to create any creature or visual effect required, be it a furry mouse bathing in milk or a 30 story monster destroying Manhattan," said Phil Tippett, Creative Founder of Tippett Studio.

"RenderMan has helped visual effects artists bring some of the most memorable images of the last twenty years to movie audiences around the globe," said Jeff Barnes, Chair of the Visual Effects Society. "This has contributed to the amazing success and exponential growth of the worldwide visual effects industry and raised the standards of our craft's technological aspects in every area."

Availability
RenderMan Pro Server 14.0 is compatible with Mac OS X, Linux 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows XP, Windows Vista 64-bit, and Windows 64-bit HPC Server 2008. Upgrade pricing from RenderMan Pro Server 13.5 is available on request. Pixar's maintenance program benefits customers with access to ongoing support and upgrades for an annual fee. For more information please visit www.pixar.com (http://www.pixar.com) or contact rendermansales@pixar.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/rendermansales@pixar.com).

It's Interactive time for the artiste :cool:

joie
09-18-2008, 09:06 AM
I can't see it the new release will be working on XP 64 bits (only XP 64 bit HPC Server 2008)..., too bad. :(

jude3d
09-18-2008, 09:53 PM
it should work on xp 64 with the vista setup of course use it at your own risk, and I can just tell you to try the linux 64 release, it's a killer one.

now we are waiting for update and of course rms 2 beta ;p

Venkman
09-18-2008, 11:04 PM
I can't wait to see this technology trickle down into Renderman for Maya! Any time they want to make something faster is fine by me. :beer:

joie
09-19-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't want to use Vista, I use XP 64 ;)

The key is to be able to use Renderman for maya with MAYA 64 bit in a WinXP 64 bit system..., I hope it will be possible with this release.

cheebamonkey
09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't want to use Vista, I use XP 64 ;)

The key is to be able to use Renderman for maya with MAYA 64 bit in a WinXP 64 bit system..., I hope it will be possible with this release.

it is. granted, vista64 is better.. but we all chose what we want.

joie
09-22-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't choose what to use, the system administrator does it for me ;)

jude3d
09-28-2008, 08:22 PM
vista 64 better ? is it a joke?

If you want to try a real OS for 64 bit just simply going on linux fedora core 7 or mac OSX, renderman is going to be more and more into python so python is better supported under linux and osx. how can you really work under windows OS?

My wife's computer was a PC with windows, and oh my god it was a torture to use, simply switch to a linux and everything is ok now. Now she loves the command line ;)

Mauritius
09-29-2008, 03:42 AM
vista 64 better ? is it a joke?

If you want to try a real OS for 64 bit just simply going on linux fedora core 7

Fedora core is the "Windows of Linuxes". Go with a Debian-based distribution like Debian itself, (K)ubuntu or learn GNU/Linux properly and try Gentoo.

If you want an even better alternative, go with FreeBSD (Max OS is btw also BSD-based).
The maturity of a BSD-based system plus a good package manager -- ports (which is like apt-get/portage).

Seriously, if someone tells you to switch from Windows to a Fedora-based GNU/Linux distribution, I'd dare call them clueless on matters GNU/Linux. ;)

.mm

Titus
09-29-2008, 05:29 AM
Seriously, if someone tells you to switch from Windows to a Fedora-based GNU/Linux distribution, I'd dare call them clueless on matters GNU/Linux. ;)

.mm

Fedora (and Gentoo) is a distribution used by many Hollywood studios. A couple of years ago several studios (Pixar, Blue Sky, etc.) had a BOF at SIGGRAPH to discuss this topic.

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2008, 05:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.