PDA

View Full Version : LightWavers New to Motion Builder

policarpo
06-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Some good movies to start with from the 3DBuzz library of video tutorials. These helped to ground me a bit...
http://kb.kaydara.com/display/1n/index.asp?aid=&r=0.1349909

watch these to gain some perspective:
VTM2_-_MB_Pose_Controls.avi
VTM2_-_MB_Animating_Poses.avi
VTM1_-_MB_Characterizing.avi
VTM3_02_MB_Simple_Constraints.avi
VTM1_-_MB_Character_Controls.avi
VTM1_-_MB_Basic_Animation.avi
VTM1_-_MB_Animating_Character.avi

and for your peeps who want to get directly out of LightWave and into MB with those LWO models, here's a brief instruction set:
The way the workflow goes now is:

1. Model in LightWave
2. Setup properly named rig in Modeler using Skelegons 3DDave Rocks! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65961)
3. Convert Skelegons to Bones
4. Save .LWS file
5. Export as .FBX
6. Open, Characterize and animate in Motion Builder
7. Plot your character and animation
8. Merge .FBX into original LightWave scene file.
9. Light and Render

also: for those of you who don't like creating weightmaps, you can just use supporting Bones. Just make sure they are anchored to other bones so they don't float around in your characters skin. :)

Oh and...freeze those SubD models before exporting...and just replace the frozen model with your SUBD when you bring your animation back into LW. :)

That's what I know so far do0dZ!!!

Happy animating.

JacquesD
06-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Right Policarpo!

I'm not really an animator myself but after watching all the 3DBuzz VTM videos... I gave it a try and I must say that Motion Builder is the best 3D animation package I've seen/used so far!

Cheers ;)

policarpo
06-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Cool.

I'm posting a scene file that's ready to be exported and animated and brought back into LightWave for those of you who want to get up and running with a quality character.

Thanks go to the following people:

> Proton for making this cool little Zombie model available to all of us
> 3DDave for creating the Skelegon Rig for us to use
> Kurt30 for adjusting the Skelegon Rig to fit the Zombie Mesh

here it is: http://www.policarpo.us/tutorials/LightWaveMBSample.zip

just watch the video on Characterizing to get up to speed, and remember to plot your characters before merging them back into LightWave. :)

Cman
06-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks all!
And thanks Policarpo, for bringing this program back to my attention. :)

E_Moelzer
06-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Motiobuilder is great! Its capabilites are fantastic!
I have to admit though that the interface is a tad confusing and not very clean. At first I was really intimitated by it.
I would prefer it to have a more LW- like interface.
Other than that I have only been playing with it for a few hours and I am already quite into loving it. Big thanks to Policarpo for helping me getting started, without him I would have been lost.
CU
Elmar

policarpo
06-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Here's a movie from Kurt30 using some MoCap!

nice render dude!

BOO! (http://www.policarpo.us/tutorials/ghost.avi)

kurt30
06-05-2003, 08:39 PM
This tool is really cool! I must warn anyone out there who hasn't used it yet...it's very addicting. Policarpo is da man!

kurt30
06-05-2003, 08:42 PM
That model of the Ghost Zombie was from Proton. Works awesome with Motion Builder

Mechis
06-05-2003, 09:01 PM
I like the skeleton movie! What kind of rendering is that? Is it a type of filter, or lighting? Does anyone know of any tutorials to get that kind of look? I especially like the white floor with shadows! Cool!!!
Thanks!
ps. My copy of Motionbuilder arrives on the 13th! yay!

ub52
06-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by policarpo
Here's a movie from Kurt30 using some MoCap!

That is one nice little anim.

I gots a Q. I've been up and running a few days with MB and have been able to take one of my models with the rig graciously suppied by 3DDave into MB, keyframe up a simple walk cycle, and then export back to LW. The problem is when in MB the char takes a few steps, actually moving, when exported back to LW it's like he is walking in place. Has anybody else experienced this?

- ub52

E_Moelzer
06-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Ok, here is something, that I have just found out:
MB seems to do some sort of joint- compensation even if it has not been set in LW before export. So dont forget to set that in LW...
Bad news is that MBs joint- comp seems to be a tad better than LWs own. What shall I say? MB just rocks!
CU
Elmar

vorlon
06-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Some good movies to start with from the 3DBuzz library of video tutorials. These helped to ground me a bit...
http://www.kaydara.com/support/documentation/kb/index.php?filename=video

Happy animating.

What is the difference between the videos on Kaydara's site and the 3DBuzz.com ones? Does 3DBuzz.com have more videos because it's on CD?

policarpo
06-05-2003, 10:20 PM
:shrug:

order them. it's free. :thumbsup:

policarpo
06-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ub52
That is one nice little anim.

I gots a Q. I've been up and running a few days with MB and have been able to take one of my models with the rig graciously suppied by 3DDave into MB, keyframe up a simple walk cycle, and then export back to LW. The problem is when in MB the char takes a few steps, actually moving, when exported back to LW it's like he is walking in place. Has anybody else experienced this?

- ub52

hrmm...not sure. i just did a quick test with Proton's Zombie character, and after plotting the Skeleton, it imported fine and walked moving along the Z axis in LW. Were you doing the Walk Cycle based off of a single Pose video tutorial?

ub52
06-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Were you doing the Walk Cycle based off of a single Pose video tutorial?

Yeah I was working from one of the BUZZ VTM's. The one where you create a single pose and then copy and paste in the pose control window with match selected effector to rough out a few steps.

-ub52

policarpo
06-05-2003, 11:16 PM
That's weird. Try it again and save it as another file. I just did the same setup with Proton's Zombie model, and it's walking fine in LW.

Hrmm...maybe also post the question on the Kaydara forum...someone may have more answers.:thumbsup:

policarpo
06-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Another nice looking render with some MoCap from Kurt30!
"Ehehe....ehehhe....eheheh....hehhe....WEEEEEE" (http://www.policarpo.us/tutorials/ghost2.avi)

roguenroll
06-06-2003, 12:10 AM
:)

SheepFactory
06-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Why is the models feet shaking like crazy when he starts the jump?

I love slapping those mocep files in my models too :) , though I would very much prefer to see the keyframe animation you guys did with motionbuilder.

policarpo
06-06-2003, 12:31 AM
heheheh....in time in time....there is so much to learn...and so little time to learn....

but thank goodness MB is so friggin' fast.....

i'll post my personal keyframe stuff when i think it's good enough to show...but not until then.

i love using MB to pose my figures though....:)

DigiLusionist
06-06-2003, 02:10 AM
OK, Poli, found a copy of Digit at a local Border's and I'm about to dive in... Best $15 I've spent this year.

Let the good times roll!

Infinity3d4life
06-06-2003, 04:02 AM
I'm gonna have to watch all the VTMs before i try it again.. I must be doing something wrong here..

Shade01
06-06-2003, 04:22 AM
Do the holder bones have to be named something in particular to bring them into motion builder?

roguenroll
06-06-2003, 10:38 AM
not to hip to the riggin lingo, but if you mean the main bones then yes, theres a naming convention, some variables, and extras.

the book has them, it would nice to have a graphic bone layout online.

hope that helps a little.

I'll try to see if theres anything to post.

R

found this looks right to me, but if your character doesn't characterize you can open the schem view and example if your spine1 is named myspine1, you can (i think the key is) alt drag on that name in the appropriate window, and MB will say OK, that will be the name now. so the MB convention isn't hard, there flexibility.

Hips
LeftUpLeg
LeftLeg
LeftFoot
RightUpLeg
RightLeg
RightFoot
Spine
LeftArm
LeftForeArm
LeftHand
RightArm
RightForeArm
RightHand
Head

Shade01
06-06-2003, 11:00 AM
By holder bones I meant the extra bones used instead of weightmapping to hold the deformation of the character together. But thanks Roguenroll I did not know that either :thumbsup:

private
06-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Policarpo, productive, insightful and helpful. Keep it coming. :thumbsup:

samartin
06-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Poli is the new MB evangelist! :p

Awesome stuff, always blown away by this product whenever I watch their videos, thanx Poli for bringing it to the attention of us all :thumbsup:

policarpo
06-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Shade01
By holder bones I meant the extra bones used instead of weightmapping to hold the deformation of the character together. But thanks Roguenroll I did not know that either :thumbsup:

You can use Holder Bones and call them whatever you like...just make sure that they aren't named like the Required bones.

Also make sure they are parented...you don't want bones floating around in your characters skin. :)

Glad you guys are digging the info. I can't wait to see what everyone produces and learns and shares!

Mike Pauza
06-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Just starting watching some MB vids last night...WOW.

3DDave
06-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Cool!

It's nice to see different ways of parenting that don't mess up the characterization process.

Side Note; It looks like his eye bones are in his mouth though!

LNT
06-07-2003, 08:28 AM
4. Save .LWS file
5. Export as .FBX

dont know,I might have missed it...but does lw now have FBX export plugin?

roguenroll
06-07-2003, 08:34 AM
yep grab it at the Kaydara site, it has 3 in one script.

import export merge

http://www.kaydara.com/support/download/index.php

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.