PDA

View Full Version : Compressing JPEG files for web

Matt_Forcum
06-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Hey gang. Im having some trouble compressing the Jpeg Files for web use and maintaing photo quality. any help?
thanks

Matt

singularity2006
06-05-2003, 09:41 PM
exactly what kind of trouble are u having? U should be more specific when asking questions like that.

In any case, make sure when ur doing a save for web via photoshop, enable the ICC profile and set the compression to about 60. That is usually the borderline before u start losing out on image quality.

Matt_Forcum
06-06-2003, 08:42 AM
I just wanted the smallest file size possible without loosing photo quality. Anyone know any tricks?

theGuest
06-06-2003, 12:02 PM
That would depend somewhat on the final output size of your images... ;)

Couple immediate things you can do though, for any image:

1) First... duplicate your working doc, and apply these techniques to the duplicate... not your original doc. And FLATTEN the duped document too.

2) Using the LEVELS filter, adjust the middle (grey point/gamma) slider to lighten up your image a little. 10% will suffice. Each image is different, so a 'fixed' amount cannot be given here. Eyeball it. Experience will teach you how to make a good guess at it.

3) Apply a bit of extra sharpening to the image. A good, non-destructive method of doing this is to dupe the original layer and apply the FILTER>Other>Highpass filter to it. Set the filter to between 2.5 & 5. I usually use 3.5. Set that layer to Overlay. If it seems to strong/bold, use Softlight.

Then save the image as usual.

The things i've spoke of here are the first and most common things to be effect by Jpg compression -- i.e. extreme high tones are dullened, which causes a loss of clarity. By slightly over-compensating for these qualities, we can manage to retain more of them during the compression stage.

However, bear in mind that nothing is perfect... and not ALL images will benefit from this workaround. ;)

Hope it helps.

:bounce:

Xaya
06-07-2003, 11:07 PM
there is a programm called "jpeg wizard"
which compresses jpegs fine (without huge quality lose)

u can also select areas which should compressed less

just search under www.google.com

chach
06-07-2003, 11:10 PM
np, use gif!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.