PDA

View Full Version : Intel ready to announce six-core chip

DuttyFoot
09-16-2008, 04:55 PM
not sure if this was posted yet

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10032313-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9878131-37.html?tag=mncol;txt

SheepFactory
09-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Man I was just about to go buy a Mac Pro too.. :cry:

Now i'll have to wait for these.

Venkman
09-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Man I was just about to go buy a Mac Pro too.. :cry:

Now i'll have to wait for these.

According to the macrumors buying guide, you should wait for the next round of Mac Pro updates before spending that cash! What I like about that is this little tool isn't based on rumors, but data from of past releases of the product line. It's great if you can hold out:

Product Mac Pro
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release January 08, 2008
Days Since Update 252 (Avg = 217)

I wonder if Apple will go for dual 6 core chips!

LucentDreams
09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
We already publicly presented a 24 core, 4x Sixcores at our Maxon booth at siggraph. While they won't be releasing that system, it was a development model, they were quite open about the six core cpu it was using.

DuttyFoot
09-17-2008, 01:15 AM
We already publicly presented a 24 core, 4x Sixcores at our Maxon booth at siggraph. While they won't be releasing that system, it was a development model, they were quite open about the six core cpu it was using.

man, that system must be smooth like butter on a hot skillet.

SheepFactory
09-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Dont you lose efficiency with that many cores? I dont really care for 12+ cores. I just want the 8 core prices to come further down. :)

opus13
09-17-2008, 06:24 AM
the intel performance hole is still the memory controller. no matter how many cores you add, if the memory is choked, you still suffer performance-wise. if your data set fits on the cache, sure.. the performance is crazy high, but if you do (anything mentioned on this forum) you immediately outpace the architecture.

when (nehalem?) comes around, we will finally see 5yr old opteron grade memory performance on intels' cores. that will be a sight to see.

i 'upgraded' to a dual harpertown (dual quadcore) system recently, and the day-to-day responsivemenss of the system has actually decreased as compared to the old dual 285 system.

6 cores? waste of time. wont make a damn bit of difference to anyone on this board. the next-gen intel procs? oh HELLS yes.

LucentDreams
09-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Yes such high scaling definitely starts to show inefficiency of the hardware. The most current Cinebench gave it a score of about 17x the speed of a single core, so you are losing a fair bit of performance by that point. It didn't get too hot,but thats because it had a lot of Fan's, thing was louder than our entire server room at the office, and that was when it was idle. I'd sooner opt for 3 separate 8 core systems over one 24 core system.

but man was watching it render cool. Seeing 24 lines or 24 buckets all at the same time. 24 lines looked like someone opening a window blind to reveal an image.

FlorinMocanu
09-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Just wait for the Nehalem Octocores with Hyper Threading which will be released around the end of 2009.

4 x 8 cores x 2 threads/core = 64 Buckets.

And it will not be limited by memory access.
Hurray :rolleyes:

Venkman
09-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Just wait for the Nehalem Octocores with Hyper Threading which will be released around the end of 2009.

4 x 8 cores x 2 threads/core = 64 Buckets.

That's like talking dirty on these boards! :love:

FlorinMocanu
09-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Oh, i forgot to add that you can build 8 socket systems with the Xeon 7xxx series, which can mean that in the future we will be able to see something like 8 x 8cores x 2threads/core in the future meaning a nice combo of 128 buckets.

Enough dreaming now, back to my dual-core :sad:.

Kinematics
09-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately, I couldn't wait for the new machines (sure feels like I am always waiting for the next one) due to work. And just purchased a Duo Quad Core Mac Pro three weeks ago with the Geforce GT 8800.

Not to mention it came in with issues and I am working on getting a replacement soon.

Do you guys really think the new machine is coming out soon? Atmost I reckon it would be a simple speed bump. Anything major would be in 2009 sometime during Macworld.

FlorinMocanu
09-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't know dude, but the things is that for dual socket platforms, like the one the Mac Pro is built now will surely get a nice speed bump with the new architectural improvements in the Nehalem architecture and with HT. You will have 16 buckets instead of 8 with a dual quad and it is estimated to be about a 40-50% improvement in rendering speed going from a dual-Harpertown quad (the Xeon 54xx series) to a dual Nehalem quad.
But i don't know yet when will Apple adopt the new quads for the Mac pro.

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2008, 09:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.