PDA

View Full Version : Last of the Memory Shepherds, Robert Tiess (3D)

Robertt
09-16-2008, 02:08 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/43717/43717_1221527316_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/43717/43717_1221527316_large.jpg)

Title: Last of the Memory Shepherds
Name: Robert Tiess
Software: Blender

I enjoyed developing this character over a week, starting out with a back story I developed and then creating the being poly by poly.

The Memory Shepherds were the caretakers of all ancestral memories. Over time and the vast distances of interstellar travel, the Shepherds became fewer.

Driven from their planet by a supernova, they wandered the galaxy for a home like their own, but there was no such world to be found.

Still, this, the last of the Shepherds draws courage and inspiration from what was and worries not what will be. There is only the present and the past, a planet of memories kept alive by thoughts and a purpose to survive. For what? For as long as the universe allows.

Until then, all is not forgotten.

Some technical details: This was modeled, sculpted, vertex and texture-painted, displaced, lit, and rendered all in Blender. The glow is achieved through Blender's internal render node network. Hair is particle emitter based, hand painted and combed in Blender. Background elements are 3D as well. No external post processing was necessary.

An alternate render and some project views are available at my website.

I thank you for viewing my work, and I wish you well.

Take care,

RobertT

Robertt
09-16-2008, 04:46 PM
At this viewing size there is quite a bit of blurring and detail lost, so please click on the picture in the first post to see the actual high resolution image.

:)

RobertT

Joss
09-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah, just looking at the thumbnail image from the forum thread doesn't do this justice. There's a lot crystalization here and it's pretty damn cool.

I like that idea of a creature that stores all acestral memories. Nice rendering!

BJZEE
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Absolutely love your stuff. I am currently learning how to utilize GIMP as a tool in my imagery as well, I would consider it an honor if we could discuss this. I do believe you know my works from your younger days after all is said and done, I am your sister. Please write.

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.