PDA

View Full Version : save as copy annoyance, can i edit preferences?

foreverendering
06-05-2003, 02:00 PM
Not sure if this has been addressed before or not, the search function isn't working for me for some inane reason.

When I am saving a jpg file (or any other file) from a psd file, the word "copy" is always added to the end of the file name when I switch modes. I find this very annoying because I have to delete copy everytime (I want to retain the original filename simply change the extension).

Is there any easy workaround for this? Am I missing something? Maybe there is a way to edit this option in preferences but I have yet to find it...

Any help would be appreciated, even if it makes me look like a moron! (which I often do).

Thanks!

singularity2006
06-05-2003, 08:43 PM
That issue was resolved in later releases of photoshop .... yeah, u gotta stick w/ it or get a new version of photoshop. I'm using PS7... I don't remember how 6.0 and 6.5 functioned.

foreverendering
06-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Man, no kidding...

Hey thanks for the tip bro.

theGuest
06-06-2003, 12:46 AM
First off, i should say that there was no version called "6.5". PS only went from 6 to 7. You may be thinking of 5 to 5.5 singularity.

foreverendering...
You never said what version you're using...?

In both PS6 and 7, when using the "Save As..." function... the word copy does not get appended to the file name. But instead, you yourself get to choose this option within the "Save As" dialog window. It's a checkbox option - "As a Copy?".

The only issue i've seen that's close to this in v7, is when using the "Save As..." function, and after choosing a different extension besides .psd, Photoshop leaves the .psd on your file name... it won't change it to match the new format you just chose from the file type menu. THAT get's on my nerves.

Anywho... if you're indeed using v5 or 5.5, then you may in fact be hooped here. I haven't had 5/5.5 on for a real long time so i don't recall this being an issue or not.

foreverendering
06-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Hey theGuest, thanks for the reply.

I'm using PS6 at home and 7 at work, and I have tried unchecking "save as copy" in the past to no avail. If I have a file ie test.psd and I change filetype to .jpg in the drop down menu (even with "save as copy" unchecked), the file name will change on its own to test copy.jpg

I have yet to find a workaround for this problem in either photoshop 6 or 7. Am I missing something?

singularity2006
06-06-2003, 07:03 PM
oh hahaha, my bad. yeah, 5.5. =)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.