PDA

View Full Version : Particle Rotation on Birth

EyeDfy
09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
I am trying to emit a particle stream with zero speed that follows the rotation of an emitter object at birth and then freezes. I can get them to emit, but their rotation stays the same from the beginning.

Basically, I want to create an extrude, or smear, effect from animated text using a lofted instance of the text as the particle stream.

An example of what I'm trying to achieve is here:

http://renascent.nl/m48b.htm

thanks,
g

JohnnyRandom
09-15-2008, 04:55 PM
I would try using a spawn operator.

Lock the particles to your position object operator then spawn with 0% inherited speed.

JohnnyRandom
09-15-2008, 10:55 PM
You may also be better served using the path deform modifier.

Create your shape and give it a high segment count, in the case of a text shape use the extrude modifier and give the shape 100 segments, then add a pathdeform modifier. Create a path to follow and add that path to the PD mod then animate the stretch.

This way you won't get a "step" or moire pattern during render.

EyeDfy
09-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks, I just tried the spawn operator, and am having the same results. I will keep at it, tho, as it seems logical.

Also, I was going to do the stretch along the path deform, but I need my text emitter to also spin on axis which is the only reason I'm not doing it that way...

Ideally there'd be an animated volume sweep modifier that'd create geometry based on the outside volume shape created by an animated surface, in this case the text....

JohnnyRandom
09-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Here is a test scene. it contains both a particle spawn and the path deform. The particle flow is off, you'll have to turn it on. It may be of some help.:)

-John

EyeDfy
09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Ah! I copied the Shape(cube) into the last event, and it works smearingly!!

Thank you VERY much!

-g

JohnnyRandom
09-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Cool :)

I forgot to mention, there is a great inexpensive plugin that does this and a few other great trail type effects (if you do this type of stuff with any type of regularity), it is called Ghost Trails and can be found here: http://www.ghosttrails.net/

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2008, 05:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.