PDA

View Full Version : Little Roman Soldier

Shawn Woods
04-26-2002, 06:23 PM
Here's my Little Roman character made in Maya. It was my first character model earlier this year. The texturing took a while because there is so much detail in the armour.

http://www.synectikos.com/Downloads/Roman_VHS_Insert.jpg

rusky
04-26-2002, 06:35 PM
:applause:
i like it very much....will you animate it ..?
;)

windowlicker
04-26-2002, 06:50 PM
Ah, superb!! It's got a very nice cartoonish/gameish feel to it, which I like a lot! What were your intentions when making it? Did you ever plan using it for a game?

:grin:

-G-
04-26-2002, 07:43 PM
VERY cool!
the texturing is perfect!
i don't know what this is for... but i would love to see u split his fingers and adding some more polys...

draxxuss
04-26-2002, 08:04 PM
definately open the fingers... at least give him an index. I think it will read better that way as well the most obvious reason... let you point.( or pick your nose...heh heh)
I think the feet could use a bit of scaling as well... they seem a bit small to me. Maybe crank them up about 25%. I love the outline around the character and I'm glad I can't see his eyes ... really gives it a lot of character that way.

Very good stuff

Shawn Woods
04-27-2002, 03:09 AM
Thanks for all the great comments. I'll post a good reply after my grad show... which starts in 2 1/2 hours. :)

dur23
04-28-2002, 02:55 AM
Its got great character and design :buttrock: .....my one issue with him however is the hands...I agree with draxuss and G....There should be fingers...IMO any game model above 1500 pollies should have fully articulate fingers (all 4 + thumb). Thats just my opinion...

Dyou think we could see a render without the texture and flaceted (flatshaded)?? Just curious about your poly distribution...

Korgath
04-28-2002, 04:53 AM
Very cool! Love the helmet hair(?)...
Maya got [hair] built-in, right?

Anyway, are you not gonna give the man some weapons? The Roman empire wasn't built on peace, after all. :p

Shawn Woods
05-01-2002, 05:52 AM
Okay everyone, time for some replies here. Sorry it took so long. Grad show last week took up all my time and then I was relaxing for a few days.

------------------------
Details, details, details
I covered up the symmetry with assymetrical props and a weapon that aren't textured yet. There will be a shield on the right arm, crest over the heart, and another shield on the lower left leg. The weapon hasn't been made yet. What do you think would suit him better, a sword or spear?

This image and the Iroquois lacrosse player are for promotional purposes. My background before animation lies in Graphic Design and Illustration, so hence the black outline and Photoshop touchups of the headdress. I wanted to make it look as nice as possible for print. However, the only added Photoshop areas are the smeared headdress, black stroke around the character, and minor color contrasts. Hey! They do it in the movies so why can't I do it.

------------------------
The headdress...
Yes I did model it. And Yes I did use Photoshop to smear it. This was a last minute, work through the night, print up I made before grad and didn't have time to change the headdress so alpha channel pics. You can see the geometry below.

------------------------
As far as the modelling goes...
I have no real in-game modelling experience. I have no idea if this character would blow up or not in a game. Therefore my polygon usage could be better and I'd like to add articulated fingers like everyone suggested. Most of the tight polys are in the helmet, kilt and feet. I realized afterwards that I used far too many polys to model the straps in the sandles. Sorry, no eye. It takes away from the character. :)

http://www.synectikos.com/Downloads/Roman_Wireframe.jpg

------------------------
Texturing...
The texture maps are high for print 1024x1024 for the character, 256x256 for the headdress. The kilt was painted entirely in Photoshop, the armour was hacked up from a really good source and my own imagination, the helmet was the most challenge for me. I think I repainted it 4 times in Painter to get the right look of shiny metal. I'll post the texture map as well.

http://www.synectikos.com/Downloads/Roman_Unwrap.jpg

------------------------
Will it be animated?
Yes eventually. This pose was a quick hack job without much enveloping. I needed it so quick that I posed him and pretty much moved points around until I got it to look right. I found out very quickly this short, stout character is going to be tough to rig because it one piece (minus the headdress) and even tougher to animated. A good challenge none-the-less. He also needs a mouth and facial animation. I had no real intentions for it but thought a voice like Marvin the Martian or Yosemite Sam might suit him.

------------------------
Questions for all of you! :)
I have some questions for people working in the games industry since that is where I'm preparing to get a job. What is the average poly count for characters these days? And how can I get my characters into a game like Unreal or Quake? I use Maya and XSI (no max but I know how to use it too).

Thanks for all your comments, you can see more of my work and my brand spankin' new demo reel online at <http://www.synectikos.com>.

- Shawn

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.