PDA

View Full Version : need help on some basics.

mxdirector
09-13-2008, 05:06 PM
im new to modo.

i am just trying it out to see if it is wroth replacing maya. maya is slow and un intuitive.
i will make a list of the things which i do in maya, and would like to know how to do these same tasks in modo. i have looked for introduction videos, but havent been to lucky.
some of the points i know already, others i dont.

1- how do you insert a edge loop?
2- is there a split polygon tool
3- how do you extrude
4- how do you sort out image references.
5- how do you mirror geometry, or do something to silimar effect
6- how do you smooth a model
7- how do you merge vertices
8- is there a "clean mesh" type function in modo?
9- how do you snap vertices together?
10- how do you combine objects?

i might think up some more later

thanks for any help.

brianod
09-13-2008, 08:46 PM
There are great tutorials on Luxology TV web site. Also, digitaltutors com has a great beginning set of Modo cd-roms for $45.

Modo can do almost all those things you ask about. Smoothing is a little different because Modo is a switchable sub-division surface modeler (use the tab key) or sds subdivide button to make it permanent.

Modo can insert edge loops, mirroring is done with the symmetry tool (x,y or z), objects are combined using the Boolean tool, image maps (textures, backdrops) can be viewed using the thumbnail feature on Windows file system, I don't know about the Mac for this. Extrude tool just does what you think. Extrude faces, vertices, etc. Modo has a unique tool called thicken which I have not seen in other packages.

I don't think Modo has a clean mesh function. It does have a freeze option which might do something similar. I don't remember exactly but it "sets" the object after you have modeling for a while. Modo does not have a history function like maya (just Undo which steps backward in time).

I downloaded the trial and after a tough start getting used to the interface the light bulb went off and I "got it". I will be buying Modo soon as it is the most flexible modeler out there. Modo just uses some different terms for procedures you already know.

What Modo lacks is Hair, Fur, Cloth, Particles, and no character animation (no bones, Ik, Fk) but hopefully coming in the future.

far
09-14-2008, 12:04 AM
hi mxdirector,

all of the features you are looking for are available in modo. You will be able to do some of the most complex form of modeling in modo. I recommend you download the trial version and see it fits your needs.

TheAlienGus
09-14-2008, 07:08 AM
As others have already stated, download the trial version. As i'll state, in my own opinion. Modo is by far the easiest, most straight forward, fastest, reliable thing I've ever used personally. It was so simple to understand and pick up for me personally. However, i can see where coming from anything other than maybe Cinema or Lightwave . . . perhaps XSI (just from what i've seen) it might be a bit confusing. Different terms and language and all that jazz . . .

To each their own. Give it an open minded try, i'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Keep in mind, Modo was initially nothing more than a modeling tool. It does that
and it does that very well. It's not a full blown app. However, it seems to be slowly
developing in that direction.

Argopo
09-14-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't think Modo has a clean mesh function. It does have a freeze option which might do something similar. I don't remember exactly but it "sets" the object after you have modeling for a while. Modo does not have a history function like maya (just Undo which steps backward in time).

You can install Seneca's Mesh Cleanup script. Works great.

Seneca's modo scripts (http://www.indigosm.com/modoscripts.htm)

mxdirector
09-21-2008, 06:19 PM
thanks for the help, although i still do not know how to "insert a edge loop" or "select a edge loop" also, i have not learned how to snap either. and have not found this information on the net.

brianod
09-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Selecting an edge loop is easy. Just use edge, and left double click quickly on an edge segment and it will select the loop around.

I forget how to insert an edge loop because my demo expired.

mxdirector
09-21-2008, 07:53 PM
thank you, i love the selecting in modo, but how do you snap vertices? and for that matter, how do you merge them?

TheAlienGus
09-22-2008, 02:36 PM
As i have completely changed my interface for dual monitors and rearranged everything inside modo, i've loaded up the default. Just because i couldn't remember where the commands were originally, lol. If you go into the vertex tab all your merge commands are right there. Vertex snapping: you will go into 'modo modes' and select geometry. Turn you geometry snapping mode to vertex and you'll need to select foreground as your layers mode. Hope that helped.

TheAlienGus
09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Oh, and as for inserting an edge loop. Under the mesh edit tab you'll want to use the loop slice command. There are many different options for this tool to behave in different ways. The count option is obviously your number of edge loops. The position is pretty self explanitory too. I personally keep the slice selected turned on. and use the select loop key. I think it was default at "L" for the hotkey, but i could be mistaken. I use that for selecting as well as manual selecting. If you have the slice selected off, it'll just select the whole loop for you on it's own. Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.