PDA

View Full Version : Dormant Walkers Of Velvet Footsteps, Nivbed (2D)

Nivbed
06-05-2003, 05:28 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/41351/dormantfinalmed_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/41351/dormantfinalmed.jpg)

This is sort of an introductory post for myself. :)

Some of you may have seen it on other forums.

C&C always appreciated.

shem
06-05-2003, 05:59 AM
wow - simply makes me wish I never smoked pot that resulting in having my brain back to come up with such beautiful things.

dbach
06-05-2003, 06:00 AM
Very cool, wondering if there is any symbolism there?

An obsevation not C&C - I find that there are several things compeating for, but not dominating the main focus of the piece (the jaw) the compeating elements are the sunset to the left and the girl closest to the camera.

Nice work,
Don

Seeker
06-05-2003, 06:05 AM
I'll second that. It's the first thing I noticed. Nice painting, but the layout is slightly flawed.

samize
06-05-2003, 06:22 AM
Amazing style, really.

Could you give some background on it? History? Reference?

qu2k
06-05-2003, 06:34 AM
im not sure what the hell is going on in that, but it is very nicely painted

Dearmad
06-05-2003, 06:55 AM
I don't think the layout is slightly flawed at all- it looks carefully framed to be balanced in an off-balancy way. From the back to the viewer, to the bust up close, to the large figure casting shade with a woman on his lap to the sunset...

What I think you're seeing really is a sophisticated layout.

Well done!:thumbsup:

Cyborgguineapig
06-05-2003, 07:44 AM
That is quite disturbing but nice at the same time:D

xeno
06-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Very awesome! i love the disturbing atmosphere and the subtle lighting. Colors are very easy to look at! Very cool painting, deserves to be plugged!

childplay
06-05-2003, 08:02 AM
no real critic ,,, just to say great work..

all the best
nikola

DangerousLlama
06-05-2003, 08:38 AM
ouch :wavey:

Nightwing
06-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Stunning work, beautifully executed....

more please :bounce:

Kel Solaar
06-05-2003, 09:30 AM
The colors are wonderful, the composition of the picture works very well making the eyes circulating, Good Job :bounce: :bounce:

grihan
06-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Welcome to this forums!

Wow! I saw it in your web some time ago, I really like your art, your imagination is amazing! I don't want to think about what kind of dreams do you have :)

keep posting!

sad
06-05-2003, 09:44 AM
speechless:eek:

phyle
06-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Amazing work!
I think ive seen a bit of your work before on other forums, its all great stuff!
I love the little baby hands near its face, the sky is awesome too!

I suppose it would be pointless to ask what it is?

NZO
06-05-2003, 09:53 AM
WWOOOWWW
amazing !!

dimitrios_c
06-05-2003, 11:13 AM
That's some crazy sheet!!! :D

So original, bizare and disturbing....yet I cannot look away... AWESOME!!!! :drool: :thumbsup: :beer: :beer: :scream: :cool:

Vladvrz
06-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Beautiful but too wierd for me.Still good work.Nice sky.:beer:

kfc
06-05-2003, 11:32 AM
wow~! cool... I love the color scheme and the designs~!
Especially the translucent feel of the skin on the girls where sun light on their body.
Spectacular~!
:thumbsup:

5 stars for u.

razzi
06-05-2003, 12:03 PM
The concept of the image is really different and very original ,awesome work but still I dont really understand the feel in it. Maybe you could explain more about the image please. Thanks !

Silver Sliver
06-05-2003, 12:47 PM
:applause:
Good work

mindrot
06-05-2003, 02:25 PM
:eek:

Hehe remember this beast over at deviantART

vbk!!!
06-05-2003, 02:48 PM
very nice picture with a real good mood ...:thumbsup:

Maybe can you add some contrast in the little characters

toma
06-05-2003, 05:02 PM
c'est trs beautiful...

victor throe
06-05-2003, 05:08 PM
man that is gross

TOP STUFF!

clam_mechanic
06-05-2003, 05:55 PM
omg man...how is this not on the front page? this is INSANE....
omg omg

wow man...wow
Sam

Gkaine
06-05-2003, 05:58 PM
amazing:applause:

xeno
06-05-2003, 06:08 PM
again, i love this piece, but could u indeed tell a little bit about the hows and the whys of this piece?

still think it deserves a plug!;)

Nivbed
06-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks all!

This picture was originally created as a sort of test/liberation for myself. I had gone through a couple of months without any new artwork and I needed to prove something to myself.

There isn't any external meaning in this piece(except for that it was an attempt to understand something). If I'm trying to convey how I feel, I try to paint the closest image that will represent that, and sometimes those things don't necessarily match, even if I try and make them. ;)

The composition problems, I can agree with. I am really poor when it comes to planning things like that. I just kind of went with it and this is the result. So, if people enjoy it, I'm glad, but if it seems kind of odd, I can understand as well.

Thanks again!

Also! There was no reference used, for whoever asked. :)

mv
06-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Inspiring!

erilaz
06-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Disturbing, yet strangely compelling. Nice!:D

PascalR
06-05-2003, 09:26 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Poju
06-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Great work :buttrock:

Disturbing, i dont know if it is beautiful or disguisting :surprised , but still great work :beer:

-=SunDoWneR=-
06-05-2003, 10:04 PM
creapy, ... this doesn't look like somebody smokes pot, ... this looks like an really eavil LSD trip :insane: :argh:

nICE creative

HF

slomo
06-06-2003, 12:20 AM
love it.

Garma
06-06-2003, 12:26 AM
disgusting... but that's me, I hate this style. Aside this, you got talent. I like the colours very much.

Deeug
06-06-2003, 04:50 AM
I could't look for long at this image,because it's"ugly"but I agree with all those who said they dislike it but....

KolbyJukes
06-06-2003, 05:44 AM
This should be on the front page.

-Kol.

malcolmvexxed
06-06-2003, 05:55 AM
awesome. my only crit would really be that the front female character is distracting my focal point too much. Pretty great color pallet though, you made some really nice choices especially in the reds

Nivbed
06-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Oi! O_O

Garma: "I hate this style". Hahahah, well what style would that be?

Deeug: ........well. HahHAHA, um, the only person to say they disliked it was yourself. And Garma, if you count "I hate this style" as something. You should actually try reading everyone's responses first, huh? :p

malcomvexxed: Thanks! Yeah, others have said that the placement of that girl is distracting. I know from now on not to do that! :)

Thanks again everyone! :)

Rey
06-06-2003, 07:01 AM
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

This is some crazy sh*t
I love it.
Im glad you decided to join us here at CG talk.

Keep posting:buttrock:

ward
06-06-2003, 07:47 AM
It's a very good work Nivbed, Especially the sky and the body of the fat guy! Congratulations! :buttrock:

bye

ward

raden
06-06-2003, 07:59 AM
Nivbed..Nivbed..Nivbed

just trying to remember your nick next time you post yr works here i'll immediately check them out.

do you see them in your dreams?they starring at you. and what the hell is that thing, it looks so dumb/numb :eek:

request: if you keep some snaps of your process doing this please post here, i want to study yr brushworks esp on the clouds. thanks.

:beer:

OZ
06-06-2003, 08:28 AM
J A W D R O P P I N G I M A G E !:eek:

silvercode
06-07-2003, 06:16 PM
^^ so cool works....

theledge
06-08-2003, 05:37 AM
Really amazing composition awesome sense of fantasy and imagination.

Its really good to see some one doing something more original than simply reproducing some one elses work.

theledge
06-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Really amazing composition awesome sense of fantasy and imagination.

Its really good to see some one doing something more original than simply reproducing some one elses work.

xxverbxx
06-08-2003, 07:40 AM
that has got to be the grossest thing i have ever seen on this site........AND I LIKE IT. i want to see more, very cool.:buttrock:

koinu
06-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Marilyn Manson's next video is all I see here.... SWEET JESUS YOU ARE A GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!right click * save **

Nivbed
06-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks you guys!

Koinu: Hahaha, but no, no I'm not! I have so much more to learn! :)

theledge: Thanks. x 2 :)

raden: I have some progress shots, but I don't think I have any of the clouds. I did those first, before I was planning as posting this as a wip, but if you would still like to see the others, I can make a little page.

I'm not sure he's anything. He may be upset, or sad. He is quite feeble as well. This was just how I felt one day, and like I said before, I try to pick imagery that matches my feelings the closest. Hence the disjointed phenomena.

Thanks again! :)

raden
06-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Nivbed
This was just how I felt one day, and like I said before, I try to pick imagery that matches my feelings the closest. Hence the disjointed phenomena.

why some have to bleed first to come up with kicking ass works :curious:

a progress page would be much appreciated. thanks.

:beer:

cgooi
06-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Awesome art piece
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:applause: :applause:

Deeug
06-08-2003, 08:17 PM
You got me wrong man.
I wanted to say something like,you know this formulation:"OOO,yeah it's beautiful BUT..."-and follows some stuff that finaly gives you the impression that the first sentence it is not entirely true-but in an opposite way.I mean something like"It is "ugly"BUT ...beautiful". That's why ugly wasn't a "clean"word!!!!
It is indeed nice modelling,texturing,lightning and choice of colors!
And UGLY it is the main fat character,so ugly that if I look for a long time makes me sick!!!
But in this work of yours what we are talking about it is some"aesthethics of UGLY"!!!And this is my humble opinion!
Congrats!!!:D

Deeug
06-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Sorry!I think that I misinterpreted what you said and I edited this post because you are right!
(it is not the first time when I translate in english something that sounds OK in my head and the translation does't reflect my original thought.
And now I realize that it is entirely my fault that you didn't understand!I should have been more specific!
Next time I promise I'll be!)

Nivbed
06-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks again everyone.

Deeug: I think you're taking what I said way out of context.

"but I agree with all those who said they dislike it but...."

That was what I was referring to when I cited your post. You said it was ugly, and that you agreed with all those who said that they disliked it. To me, that doesn't sound helpful in anyway. Furthermore, the only reason why I told you to read everyone else's posts is because you involved them in yours.

And how would I not agree with people being allowed to have varying opinions? That's why I posted this picture in the first place!! I have no idea where you got that idea from.

But, likewise, I'm sorry I didn't see your joke, but at the same time kind of give me a little credit as sarcasm does not come across well on the internet. :)

Nivbed
06-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Oh, and here is the progress shot page:

http://www.nivbed.com/images/dorprog.jpg

I would have put it in here, but it's kind of big and I didn't want it messing with the layout of the page. That's always annoying.

raden
06-09-2003, 01:51 PM
saved.

thanks Nivbed.

btw u got some cool stuffs there. should post more here.
kudos to all the bunnies :wavey:

el paso
06-09-2003, 07:21 PM
awesome picture

your website is pretty amazing, I love your cg and natural media,
very inspiring

TylerHunter
06-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Damn thats pretty freaky,

killer work man, I love it when people can use diverse pallets with success.

Tyler

Deeug
06-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Super stuff on that link....Thanks:thumbsup:

Copy and paste
06-09-2003, 09:38 PM
WICKED!!!

dooom
06-09-2003, 09:42 PM
the sky is by far the most stunning, crazy canadians. the compostition is good. :beer: well done.

:airguitar

worlok
08-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Wild work, freaky, i love the girls, nice eyes and that sky is beutiful.

eirenicon
08-09-2003, 12:17 AM
He may be upset, or sad. He is quite feeble as well. This was just how I felt one day, and like I said before, I try to pick imagery that matches my feelings the closest.

You are not feeble but powerful. Red roses in blood have never looked so beautiful. Superb work.

Downwrdspiral
08-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Awesome! The expresions are priceless and that beast is extreamly unique. Nice work.

http://www.deathgoth.com/sitegraphics/sitebanner13.gif (http://www.deathgoth.com)

NowhereMan
08-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Yikes!!!

I dont know how great a work has to be in order to maintain a 5 stars ranks over the time!!!!

This one blasted the rating bar for me!!
:wip: :buttrock:

wedge
08-09-2003, 01:52 AM
honestly though, what the ****, man? :surprised

Quikp51
08-09-2003, 02:16 AM
I think it looks great. Good style and a twisted subject. Keep it up!

Eldar
08-09-2003, 02:55 AM
Thanks all!

The composition problems, I can agree with. I am really poor when it comes to planning things like that. I just kind of went with it and this is the result. So, if people enjoy it, I'm glad, but if it seems kind of odd, I can understand as well.

Art is not an exact science, and there will always be room for debate. You appear to be using a classical triangle composition (perhaps subcounscious choice), which has been one of the most popular composition types since Renaissance. The clouds, the horizon, and even the shape of the fat beast's body all obviously conform to a triangle.

While it is true that the face up front and sunset are distracting attention from the jaw, this may not be necessarily a bad thing. You could say that it creates movement and keeps the image flowing better. For me, it works. But there are definitely multiple focus points, which may not have been intention. Only you can answer that, since as viewers we can only speculate about significance of parts that are being highlighted. Perhaps the girl up front is really the star of the show, and maybe sunset has special meaning in context of the fat beast. It all depends on what you are trying to say.

You could look at it many ways. One thing is for sure though... your work doesn't look like it was randomly slapped together. You have obviously given it some thought.

Levitateme
08-09-2003, 05:39 AM
jeeze.

sixthe45
08-09-2003, 05:52 AM
cool.

Z-KO
08-09-2003, 08:25 AM
I really enjoy your artwork and love your site! Thank you for sharing...:beer:

DaJuice
08-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Freaking incredible! This is the best thing I've seen posted since I started visiting CGTalk. I love this peace, I wish I had your imagination.

:buttrock:

mehdianim
08-09-2003, 10:24 AM
I love how twsited the scene is. The calm faces of the female characters are beautifully unsettling.
Nice Work

Biped
08-12-2003, 03:59 PM
I LOVE IT!! a bit like a sick Salvador Dali :beer:

gibias
08-12-2003, 04:41 PM
I know Im not saying anything new, but OMG !!!
Your work is amazing !

shuwan
08-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Wow! At first i thought this is 3D. It's nice. I wonder how the transculent skin is done. The colours and evrything are nice.

I just feel that it lacks a bit of depth in the picture. Maybe it's me only but I just feel the composition a little flat. Probably becos' of the shadows not enough or maybe some parts need to be darker,

Titan
08-12-2003, 06:07 PM
thats very ..weird...but well done....
I think I'm disturbed now..
:curious:

friendlymike
08-12-2003, 08:34 PM
love it....

lildragon
08-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Wee bit behind on everything these days, but I'm catching back up :) Can't believe I forgot all about this one, the only reason I remembered it had to go in the gallery is when I came across it in Expose. The first time I saw it I was like *puke* nasty stuff, even though it's gross beyond belief, you can't help but wonder about it. The colors are fantastic that's for certain, and they all blend and work well together. Strange and compelling indeed. One thing I've always wondered, why is it the biggest, most ugly thing in fantasy have beautiful women at their side? :)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Nice work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_aug03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Hellwolve
08-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
...One thing I've always wondered, why is it the biggest, most ugly thing in fantasy have beautiful women at their side? :)...

Becaus everyone looks at Luis Royo's artwork for inspiration?

Oscarini
08-26-2003, 05:13 PM
F...ing Freaky Fenomenal - definetly pleasant style and idea! :buttrock:

KrotArt
08-30-2003, 03:50 PM
Amazing style
:applause:

jamesjhunt
08-30-2003, 04:24 PM
great work!

kind of ugly and beautiful at the same time.

EatZ
08-31-2003, 01:15 AM
I understand why some people would find it disturbing, but honestly... it's nothing more than a beautiful piece of work. Very soft, lush colors. Interesting subject matter. Reminds me of a nightmare-like dream.

As for the composition, I think it works. Sure, you have to slowly move from the focal points to see the image in its entirety, but the more you savour it, the more details you seem to notice. I think that's the beauty of this piece. It takes a strong stomach to keep looking at it, but it's well worth it!

Above all, the one thing that strikes me most is the lighting. Especially on the left most character. Ouch, that's unbelievably good!

Konstruct
09-19-2003, 06:02 AM
first off, WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!

2nd, thats the freshest thing i have EVER seen.

oh and Biped, -salvidor dali???

dali is a shmuck that paints pretentious crap. he wishes he could do sh!t like this.

BlueCougar
09-19-2003, 06:15 AM
Great work. I can see where some could judge this as gross. From what I am viewing it is mainly the color red against the pale skin that is immediately seen as blood and guts when actually they are red flowers with what could be wine or something similiar. Quite interesting study that asks one to view themselves in context of how they react when observing the scene.

Kenn

olijosman
09-19-2003, 06:49 AM
AWESOME!!:bowdown:

Windowlick3r
07-29-2004, 06:27 AM
Good to see you posting your work Justin. Iv have admired your work for some time. I see your sites down at the monment. Hope all is well there.

Take care

w

abadone
08-02-2004, 10:19 AM
great work amazing !

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.