PDA

View Full Version : AixSponza: RedBull Singapore Race Feature

mnu
09-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi all,

after a long period of being quiet, here's our recent project.

http://www.aixsponza.com/downloads/redbullsingapore/03567.jpg
http://www.aixsponza.com/downloads/redbullsingapore/01468.jpg
http://www.aixsponza.com/downloads/redbullsingapore/01418.jpg

For the world's first formula one night race we did a 2.5 HD min. feature of the Singapore racing circuit. Mark Webber the pilot of the Red Bull racing team comments the film directly from within his virtual race-car.

These are the official websites:
http://www.redbullracing.com
http://www.tororosso.com

As always, everything's done in our beloved C4D. For rendering the beauty passes we used Vray this time (Thanx Stefan for making this great renderer available to the C4D community!) Composite was done in After Effects and Nuke.

Here you can watch the clip in medium resolution:
http://www.aixsponza.com/downloads/redbullsingapore/AixSponza_RedBullSingapore_ENG_M.mp4

And here you can visit our website:
http://www.aixsponza.com

cheers mnu and the AixSponza Team

donelgreeko
09-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi!

WoW!Thats really cool. :bowdown:
Resepect! *thumbs up*

vid2k2
09-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Simply ... OUTSTANDING !

When able, can you share your production experiences on this ?

TIA, job well done.

joeski4d
09-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Beautiful work, great job guys! It's obvious that lots of hard work and time went into this. Thanks for sharing...

-Joe

ChrisCousins
09-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Gorgeous! Great stuff. Must have kept you busy ;)
:applause:

danb
09-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Awesome stuff as always. Love seeing work from you guys.

Were the cars modelled or purchased?

ooo
09-12-2008, 06:59 PM
WOW! Just amazing and very impressive. This is frontpagestuff!!
Congratulations and thanks for posting!

odo

Mike Abbott
09-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Probably the best work I've seen in C4D to date.
Fabulous.

Mike A.

wesware
09-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Wowsers! Beautiful stuff.
Would love to ask some questions but I'm sure they'll all be answered in your up and coming "making of" video....right?! :)

JoelOtron
09-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Dynamic stylish and very "pretty" rendering there. Didnt see any flickers.
So well done. Love the look.
Your work is consistantly excellent.

Would love to know more about the production--had to have been a lot of work!
The camera moves alone must have been a challenge let alone surfacing and rendering.

RayDale
09-12-2008, 09:28 PM
WOW!! :bowdown:

That is jaw dropping work!! Congrats. Great detail in the track surroundings.

Rantin Al
09-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Stunning work, as always from AixSponza. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Alan.

techburst
09-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Absolutely wonderful to see such talent pushing Cinema 4D this hard. I'll have to pursue the websites and find out more.

Seriously impressed here.

mogh
09-12-2008, 11:55 PM
The mix between Stylized polished Chrome City and hyper realism GI ist simply stunning.

And i also recognized these well executed smooth camera moves ... no jigling or anything ...

by the way was the storyboard / Cuts done by brief or did you make your own storyboard ?

regards mogh

TimC
09-13-2008, 12:39 AM
outstanding..

you guys consistently produce excellent work. Congrats.

cheers
Tim

ThePriest
09-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Really nice. My only criticism would be on a few perceived flaws in the direction.

When the narrator is talking about certain corners, I didn't get a sense of what I was looking at a few times, where the arcade replay effect looked great throughout, I think the camera transitions shouldn't have been so wild in a few spots.

Otherwise, that was an almost flawless ride.

ThirdEye
09-13-2008, 06:51 AM
That was a pleasure to watch!

[plugged]

rizon
09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Probably the best work I've seen in C4D to date.
Fabulous.

Mike A.

Was thinking the same! WOW!

StuDogg
09-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Really nice. happy that you did it all with cinema as well its a great show piece for it.

JustinB
09-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Lovely work!
As always, beautifully finished. Well Done AixSponza. :thumbsup:

Cheers
Justin

Maview
09-13-2008, 09:38 AM
really good job!
speachless&happy!

BenCole
09-13-2008, 10:03 AM
dude. awesome.

Shademaster
09-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Very very nice! How long was production time if I may ask?

I really digg the style of rendering in this one :)

imashination
09-13-2008, 11:06 AM
One of the best pieces Ive ever seen :) I hope we'll get some decently beefy articles and interviews on it.

Djampa
09-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Congratulations ! Thanks for sharing.

It's great, very impressive. AixSponza makes me bow all the time, much respect for the whole team, this is company I'd love one day to do business with.

My best wishes and again congratulations !

lllab
09-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Dear Manual and Aixsponza team,

as i said in email already, excellent work, absolutly amazing, i love it:-)

we are very happy that you got out such an outstanding and exiting animation with vrayforc4d within cinema4d. i think this will show greatly what is possible on the cinema4d plattform and help it further grow. - cinema rules!

with best greetings from the whole vray team!
Stefan
vrayforc4d.com

Snowstorm
09-13-2008, 11:36 AM
waha! Not all of Singapore looks like that :P Interesting interpretation, and excellent animation. I like how the esplanade has a webbed roof, rather than spiked, and the National Day grandstand looks like its made from chrome.

far
09-13-2008, 12:01 PM
wow, amazing work :)

ChewyPixels
09-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Very well done! :thumbsup:

soccerrprp
09-13-2008, 02:05 PM
YUP, very nice!

sergicaballer
09-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Beautiful work guys! Your work in cars' render it's amazing, and the evironment it's so elegant! Congratulations!

AAAron
09-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Amazing!!! Some of the scenes must have been really heavy. Very nice

Mr.Tyler Durden
09-13-2008, 04:42 PM
really missing DOF, and Reflections overall look too much like CG, as always..

else it could have been a nice spot.

cheers

CodeVeroby
09-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Brilliant work ! I had no idea that C4D was that powerfull ! still, ain't no chance I'm swapping anything for 3ds Max ....

MAN0
09-13-2008, 07:12 PM
outstanding job as always.. :buttrock:

joshfilms
09-13-2008, 07:14 PM
My gosh awesome. Still blown away it was all cinema. Congratulations and hope to see some behind the scenes.

Navstar
09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow... that's a stunning amount of work!! How long have you been working on it??

Did you build the cars in C4D too? Or did you buy them?

My favorite is the weathered metal globe textures. Gaw-juss!!

PhilipR
09-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Sweet :thumbsup:

Great work guys, very inspiring. I like the piece Congratulations to the whole team. Looking forward to more. :wavey:

Horganovski
09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Just amazing work, congratulations to everyone involved.

Cheers,
Brian

kvb
09-13-2008, 09:51 PM
WOW!!! Fantastic work indeed. On my 10th time watching it:bounce:

you deserve one of these :arteest::arteest::arteest: ...but I decided to give you 3:thumbsup:

and grats on front page!!!:bowdown:

kvb

vfx
09-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Amazing! I really was impressed with this.. the cars and the lighting were spot on. Really great level of realism for a video of this type. I really liked the voice over, the camera work and the post glow effects.

Out of curiousity, how much did this cost the client? Ish...

SJM
09-14-2008, 02:39 AM
nice work guys ... hope to see some behind the scenes snaps

BUZZFX
09-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Excellent Camera work. I can't imagine all of the hours that went into this! Can you give us some indication as to how long this took to do? Also how much of the city was modeled? Did you buy the City of Singapore from Google or was it modeled etc. Very Impressive. :)

mnu
09-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Hello all,

thank you so much for your kind comments. As this really was a lot of work, we're all glad that you like the result. I'm currently writing some kind of production story about this project. As soon as this is available I'll post the link here.

Nevertheless I'll try to answer some of your questions here:

The cars are converted from CAD Nurbs Data that came directly from Red Bull. Several parts, that have changed recently, were remodeled in Rhino. Than everything was converted to polygons in Rhino and SpaceClaim in two different resolutions to be a able to do close ups without loosing surface smoothness.

The direction/cuts/camera work was done by AixSponza in collaboration with Peter Clausen Film. There were two directors on this film working together: Christian Tyroller form AixSponza and Peter Clausen form Peter Clausen Film. As with most of our projects we developed most parts of the job on our own (style / cameras / edit / comp, etc.) and only had a very basic brief in advance.

The production time was about 8 weeks, with another two weeks of layout and planning. The core team was made up by 2 Animators, 5 3D Artist, 2 Compostite Artists, 2 Interns, Director and Creative Director and 1 Producer.

The city was modeled by hand as the concept of transforming Singapore to a "Steel City" did not allow for purchasing "real" models. We did a total of about 80 of the most importatn buildings of Singapore and another bunch of BG houses.

Thanx again for your interest in our project

best mnu

ervine
09-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Being a Singaporean & a former architecture student myself, I can tell you that the stylizing of the city is simply top notch stuff! (Although the esplanade's roof isn't entirely true to it's character but I can understand why it was done as such)

I'm sure some of the locals would cringe at how the narrator pronounced the names of some of the landmarks though.

But seriously, great stuff! :buttrock:

moka.studio
09-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Great stuff-
just a question, when you mention the team and amount of weeks, were these fully dedicated team members during the whole course of the project (so about 100 person-weeks work altogether?) just to get an idea.
Cheers.

SilvioToledo
09-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Amazing Movie.

:)

SilvioToledo
09-14-2008, 01:21 PM
So, just tell me how big was the renderfarm? and how much time to render with V ray? HD size?

madart
09-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Just watched it on TV. Absolutely amazing! Beautiful! Can I put a rating of 10?

And now we know which Red Bull Team outperformed which! :applause:

moka.studio
09-14-2008, 03:11 PM
adding vote

mimo8
09-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I´ve just seen this spot on Austrian TV, after the win of your fellow countrymate Sebastian "babyschumi" Vettel.

I was totaly blasted away by the quality of the animation and the rendering.
You hardly see "inforgraphics" on TV on that level.
Now reading your name as producers of this great clip doesnt supprise me at all, but shows the hughe talent and capability in your team.

my biggest respect and hopefully many more good clients and fun to produce projects
m

Creature
09-14-2008, 04:39 PM
So, just tell me how big was the renderfarm? and how much time to render with V ray? HD size?

It was produced in full 1920p HD resolution. The renderfarm is massive just as the rendertimes :D

s2k
09-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Bin beeindruckt .. ;) :D

(=I'm impressed)

KSteineman
09-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Awesome rendering, really love the layout too.

xxdaggerxx
09-15-2008, 05:52 AM
singapore rocks! :D

drthunder
09-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Really pretty work guys!

I'm always impressed with how quickly this stuff can get produced.

BTW, did you also request an actual car from Red Bull to test drive. You know, for "research" purposes. I would have :D .

Creature
09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
A more detailed reply to the renderfarm question would be that we used our 64bit Renderfarm consisting of about 40 Apple Intel MacPros with mostly 8-core machines and some older "left over" quads cores.

wurp
09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Looks good, i do find that the direction could have been better, some cameramoves feels a bit random and just thrown in there. Looking at individual frames it looks awesome but watching it moving it feels a bit "stiff" at times. Also there seems to be a lack of motionblur, which makes it look a bit more cg and "laggy".

overall, awesome work though.

boozy1976
09-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Having seen the F1 GP yesterday...
What a timing! Especially with vettel in front!

razorcd
09-15-2008, 02:28 PM
this is so cool

I want to work on fun projects like these too

:applause:

TerrellTheen
09-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Sweet cars!

stretched
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
wow astonishing. :thumbsup:

CAClark
09-16-2008, 10:28 AM
I liked it, and does what it sets out to do well enough, but I have to say personally I found the car animation rather lacking, and some times the shading looked a little odd (mainly the tyres I think). I'd rather see the camera moves kept to the realms of what real world cameras could shoot, especially for the car-centric shots.

Still, cool overall, not an insignificant amount of work!

Cheers!

Activator
09-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I find it amazing that there are people CRITIQUING this stunning display of 3D design and animation!!! Wow. Let's see what YOU have done that is of this quality and magnitude! In 8 short weeks, no less. (The room goes silent.)

This is the most inspiring C4D project I have ever seen. Any comments about lack of DOF and Motion Blur can blame Maxon for the fact that C4D has terrible and SLOW DOF and MB tools. The addition of DOF and MB would have probably put the rendertimes out of reach for the time frame they had to work in.

AixSponza has set the bar to Olympic heights.

:bowdown:

AAAron
09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Any comments about lack of DOF and Motion Blur can blame Maxon for the fact that C4D has terrible and SLOW DOF and MB tools.

It´s rendered i Vray and it got nice MB for moving objects, and lovely DOF. So I think it has more to do with the overall style of the piece, I don´t think it´s meant to be a perfect copy of reality. It´s supposed to look futuristic and slick and it sure does! :bowdown: Of course the short production time could also have been part of there decision to skip MB.

That´s my guess

Creature
09-16-2008, 12:59 PM
MotionBlur as well as DepthOfField was done in post using MotionVectors and ZDepth passes. There is just as much or as few of MB and DOF as we thought fits the style. It was a concious design decision.

Afrowave
09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Aiyayayayaa!

I have this warm feeling in my heart for AixSponza, Cinema 4D and VRay :bowdown:.

Please Mnu and Creature, please give us a Block diagram of how a project is laid out like this :drool:. Ok, no trade secrets, you don't want us catching up with you that fast :wise:. 14 guys, over 320 CPU cores, and 10 weeks.

One day, one day...:thumbsup:.

Triker
09-16-2008, 06:58 PM
MotionBlur as well as DepthOfField was done in post using MotionVectors and ZDepth passes. There is just as much or as few of MB and DOF as we thought fits the style. It was a concious design decision.

It is obvious to me that great care and art direction went into the production, and therefore the amount of "realism", color correction, camera moves, MB, or DOF was intentional.

Very well done work, beautiful in its style and congrats on the accomplishment in what I think was a rather tight timeline.

Johnny Jpeg
09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
I find it amazing that there are people CRITIQUING this stunning display of 3D design and animation!!! Wow. Let's see what YOU have done that is of this quality and magnitude! In 8 short weeks, no less. (The room goes silent.)
I think this is great work, and while I too am shocked that people are critical of this, I think it's spurious to suggest that only people who have done the same level of work are qualified to be critical of it. They are only opinions, but don't we have a right to express them? Just as in real life, if someone expresses an opinion you disagree with, you may think less of them or disregard their opinion on other matters - and so it goes. Oh, but they don't lock threads in real life, do they?

Srek
09-17-2008, 06:36 AM
The problem with critique here is that we simply have no idea what the client explicitly asked for. Thats the mark AixSponza had to hit, not the various personal impressions and ideas of us here in the forum.

Cheers
Björn

JIII
09-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Excellent work, it's great to see C4D being pushed like this.

Put yourself in the seat of the client. Clearly a 10+ person, 300+ CPU job is going to be quite pricy. I don't know enough to give a ballpark but let's just say money was being spent.

This means that 1. Every move was intentional, good artists like those at AIX don't make random decisions and don't leave errors in, that's why people trust them with the money.

Additionally, 2. Imagine you paid all that money for this project just to achieve one look. Remember this includes 80 buildings that will probably never see the light of day again in another project, and a totally redesigned city. That in itself, is ungodly expensive. So yes, you could make things look more "real" or "blurry" or "dirty", everyone knows that abberations are what makes realism.

But personally, if I were paying all that money for a fancy city I'd want it crisp, sharp and clean. I'm not presuming to know exactly what was asked for but why pay for something not to be able to see it all for the sake of realism on a spot where no one is going to "really" care except a few of us on online forums?

That's just me growing off of Srek's point, but critiquing them for that is like saying that most Pixar work is "too cartoony" of course it is, that's what the artists there are paid to make.

Creature
09-17-2008, 09:14 AM
If you're interested in the people working on this, there's a full Credit list at motionographer:
http://motionographer.com/2008/09/15/aixsponza-red-bull-f1-singapore/#more-5701

Augustronīc™
09-18-2008, 12:58 PM
There is a larger version for viewing while we still work on the HD format:
http://aixsponza.com/downloads/redbullsingapore/AixSponza_RedBullSingapore_ENG_L.mp4

madm4tt
09-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Cool Job, great shaders and perfect car animation!!

Did you used a special plugin for the car rig/animation?

Bye

Creature
09-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Nope. Rigging was done in XPresso by Fabian Rosenkranz without any plugins.

ooo
09-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Love your Avatars by the way. Very cool you all have a slighty different one in your own AixSponza style.

johnstrieder
09-23-2008, 07:41 PM
... less is more ;)
DOF is correct as it is, these are no Macroshots :)

MatteoM
09-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Well done... :bounce:

Mat

Augustronīc™
09-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Love your Avatars by the way. Very cool you all have a slighty different one in your own AixSponza style.

here is the complete collection for the shelf ;-)

http://www.aixsponza.com/downloads/leecher/Avatars/AixAvatarManu.jpg http://www.aixsponza.com/downloads/leecher/Avatars/AixAvatarAchim.jpg http://www.aixsponza.com/downloads/leecher/Avatars/AixAvatarChristian.jpg http://www.aixsponza.com/downloads/leecher/Avatars/AixAvatarTobi.jpg http://www.aixsponza.com/downloads/leecher/Avatars/AixAvatarUser.jpg

Have a nice day!
Aloha Achim

Creature
09-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Can I have one too? ;)

Augustronīc™
09-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Can I have one too? ;)
Certainly you can!
What color do you prefer?

Creature
09-25-2008, 11:16 AM
whatabout brownish orange?

Augustronīc™
09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Can I have one too? ;)

Voilā.
http://aixsponza.com/downloads/leecher/Avatars/AixAvatarMatthias.jpg
Good enough?

Have a nice day!
Aloha Achim

Creature
09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
perfect, thank you Achim. See you in a week
(what a coincidence that this is my 1000s' post :))

Jorge Arango
09-28-2008, 05:14 PM
This was aired today on Fox Sports Latin America just before the race. The presenters were amazed that this could be done with a computer. It's understandable as they don't know Cinema 4D and Aix Sponza. Congratulations!

mogh
09-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Some realy nice fotos here (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_singapore_grand_prix.html).

even with the glossy look you are not far from realism i think

regards mogh

artzfx
09-29-2008, 11:02 PM
A shame Mark Webbers real Red Bull car can't perform as well as the Aix Sponza 3D version...

leahzero
10-18-2008, 01:27 AM
I think this is great work, and while I too am shocked that people are critical of this, I think it's spurious to suggest that only people who have done the same level of work are qualified to be critical of it.

Well said. While I think this spot has some great elements in it (esp. modeling) which I certainly could not yet reproduce myself, I also find that it has some serious flaws which give it a stiff and unrealistic impression.

As aforementioned, the lack of motion blur is probably the most noticeable problem. It really detracts from the sense of speed the viewer is supposed to feel, and at times makes camera movements feel jarring.

I also think that the car animation is somewhat awkward. I'm no expert on Indy cars, but I believe the wheels on these cars turn at least slightly. I did not notice them turning at all. Rather the cars just seemed to float over the track like blocks. There was not much sense of weight, friction, vibration, etc.

Also, it's a minor concern compared to the above, but the compositing of 2D elements (text and glowing track) seemed awkward to me as well. At times it clipped through the render when I'm not sure it should have.

This piece has some great strengths, but I feel that some folks here are letting the beautiful modeling, lighting, and Vray engine obscure its flaws. To call it one of the greatest works produced with C4D is misleading, IMO. Rather, I would direct you to Maxon's Siggraph 2008 demo reel for some truly stunning examples of C4D in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJSOsyImbF0

Anyway, cheers to the guys involved in creating this. As professionals you will certainly take feedback in stride and continue to improve and turn out impressive work.

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2008, 01:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.