PDA

View Full Version : Set up a professional texture making company...

DreamWriter
09-11-2008, 03:20 AM
Hi folks!

I am thinking to set up a professional texture making company like 3D Total (Total Textures). But I don't know where/what equipments I can buy. Like digital camera, lighting equipment, studio set up...etc.

I want to set up an environment suitable for making 1. diffuse map 2. bump map 3. normal map.

any word is good
thnx

Hammer Chen

Dimis
09-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Imo, you don't need much. Just a digital camera with the highest resolution you can afford and a small space to take photos of smaller items. A couple of white lamps would be good for that, just to have smooth light all over the item's surface.

After that, you can simply upload the photos on your website and require subscription for the members to download your textures. You could also make textures/maps per request for a slightly higher fee (30-50 cents each).

If my advice makes you rich, give me a small discount when I subscribe :P

DreamWriter
09-12-2008, 02:57 AM
tks Dimis

Could you recommend a book for making this?

Dimis
09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Not really. I'm still new to 3D so there's not much I could tell you. But as far as I've seen, cgtextures.com (which is one of the most popular texture providers as you may know) simply offers uploaded photos. In case you haven't seen it, do check it out, you may get some useful ideas by observing how these sites work.

B-Side
09-12-2008, 11:00 PM
From what i have read a bump map is just a greyscale (http://wbs.nsf.tc/articles/article11_e.html) normal map. Here (http://wbs.nsf.tc/articles/article11_e.html) they claim bump and normal maps are the same thing. But what i understand from having created both is that a good normal map is generated from a high poly model allowing an artist to 'fake' extra geometry much like displacement maps which are often used for terrain (and are also greyscale).

If i was buying textures from someone (which as an artist i wouldn't :P) i would kind of want the person making them to know the difference between these sort of things. I'm pretty sure i would just want a normal map unless there is some kind of performance issue? You might also want to offer spec/gloss maps.

Good luck.

Ian00
09-28-2008, 04:11 AM
Hello, the best method I know of for making bump maps can be found here,
http://www.zarria.net/nrmphoto/nrmphoto.html A program called Xnormal,
http://www.xnormal.net/2.aspx is great for conbining the four lighted pictures into a normal map, and converting between texture types. Also,
http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl is a great forum for making environment textures. Good luck!

mister3d
09-28-2008, 08:00 PM
The competition is pretty tough as there are already huge libraries available. But maybe if you provide super high-res textures you may stand out. Those must be 4000x4000 minimum. There is enough bricks, walls... and in general, every serious texturer has a digital camera nowadays. Bump maps can be generated with removing direct lighting information and fixing the diffuse component to be uniform, and in general textures must be shot with diffuse uniform lighting. I would say don't bother with norlsm and bump maps as those are easily created from diffuse textures. I had trouble finding really good crocodile leather skin textures above 3000x3000. If you can provide unique textures nobody has you have a chance. People are shot over greenscreens, which has its difficulties too. To provide a uniform ligting for a greenscreen is not always easy. I think your best chance is selling photos of people, but can you beat 3d.sk? Try to know what kind of textures people find hard to find.

suztv
09-30-2008, 02:54 PM
You should really think of two things - Quality and Customer Service. There are tons of sites out there that in all honestly the textures are just Blah! You need to understand that any artist worth their salt already knows how to make their own textures and the only reason they would buy from you would be to save them time on a project that they just cannot lose.

High-res textures are good, but only if they are quality texture and are unique compared to what is already out there. Also - tiling. I have seen sooooo many subpar quality tiling textures that it really makes me ill just trying to find the right one. I have ImageSynth and make my own when I can - but if I'm in a crunch and just don't have the time, I usually buy professionally made ones I find on TurboSquid or other sites - unfortunately those sites also harbor low-quality textures which makes finding the good ones harder.

Your pricing should commenstrate with quality and if you provide good customer service (i.e. you answer customer complaints quickly and respond to queries) - then your site will get well known in the CG world.

What the world needs is not just another texture site - but a great texture site.

vindaer
10-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Any digital camera will not do, an SLR is a must have for high res images, you need to remove lens jitter, and have light settings available on your camera also. Most regular 'point and shoot' cameras don't have the right light settings on them, you cant change aperture settings or ISO speeds which will make for some bad textures.

TomCatania
10-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Crazybump is a program I used to use while I was finishing up school. Could pick up and edit normal maps and make really fast displacement maps with it too. Check it out if you're interested.

Make sure you watch your angles with the texture photos. I'm always having to fix textures up with skew and distort, and it ruins the quality :(.

Good luck with your website!

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2008, 07:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.