PDA

View Full Version : The Showdown - character - Aken009

Aken009
06-04-2003, 06:19 PM
nice! me thinks I'll try this thing called...animation.

I have a whole whack load of ideas for this...but I guess I'll start with one, and see what you guys think

Setting: a kids bedroom
Time: dusk/evening
Characters: a Kid (boy) and a Gnome (you know the kind that steals underwear, toys...ect) you remember them from when you were a kid...
...anyways...here's the action

-Kid backs into shot eyes darting the room...looking all scared...then BAM! Gnome gives him a dropkick to the back sending him flying over a table...

-Kid skids to a stop, rolls over and sprawls backwards into a wall...(CORNERED)

-Gnome walks slowly towards kid menacing,pushing furniture out of the way violently

-Kid grabs a teddy and holds it close for comfort

-Gnome with a quick couple steps, rips the teddy out of the kids hands.

-Kid motions towards it, starting to sob.

-Gnome notices the kids attachment to the teddy, threatens the teddy's "life".

-Gnome smiles maliciously...and proceeds to rip the head off the teddy.

-Kid going from a look of horror, to a face of anger.

-Gnome goes from self gratification, to a surprised look

-kid pounces at the Gnome, form tackling him, sending them both skidding across the hardwood floor

-Kid picks up the knocked over chair, and proceeds to hit the Gnome over the head with it

-Gnome, smelling defeat, scrambles away with kid close behind with a broken chair...

well...lemme know if you think this will work...and if you like.
I was chatting with a buddy of mine, and he told me not to animate a kid, because it will be too hard...so I'd like some feedback... oh...as I reread my post...I started thinking...am I on the right track or am I wondering away from the "fight/showdown" theme too much?

sorry for the long post

:hmm:

datter
06-04-2003, 07:09 PM
It's a great theme, and would make a good scene. I'm not sure it's 100% fight/showdown as written though. Feels like it would be perfect for an "acting" challenge, in which you characters have to emote through conflict.

Maybe throw some more action in there? Just a thought... but regardless I like the idea.

datter

braam
06-04-2003, 08:19 PM
I love your "revenge-cause-him-to-fight-back" idea.

Your problem is solved once you have added action-packed sequences.

Perhaps instead of (ripped the teddy out of the kids hands by gnome) - The kid, being cowered in the corner, observes his/her precious teddy lying beside gnome and dive for it, but missed it. Now gnome is having her most precious possesion...

Hope you like it.

Cheers
Braam

Aken009
06-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Braam
Your problem is solved once you have added action-packed sequences.

I think I would have to cut some other things though...We only have a 20 second clip to do...

I guess I could put more of a focus on the two physically fighting over the teddy...after all...it IS too precious to kill off so quickly ;)

and thanks datter for your comments...they're encouraging me to get this ball rollin

Anyone else have an opinion? before I get too far into this?

(I'll be posting character sketches soon)

MVP
06-05-2003, 10:40 AM
I like the idea, makes a change from the 101 sword barbarian animations that will probably arise. As the teddy is gonna bite the dust anyway you could have the gnome throwing bits of the teddy at the boy as the boy advances batting the bits out of the way with the chair...or something...just an idea.

I have to keep reminding myself that this challenge is nothing to do with modelling so as much as you may think animating a kid is difficult I don't see how it is different from animating anything else?

Good luck though, sounds good.:p

Aken009
06-08-2003, 03:20 PM
well time for an update...I've had my models done for a bit now...just kept forgetting to upload them...

ignore the colours...and poor lighting...those will be fixed in the future

oh and yes...they are to scale with each other

http://jakmreed.tripod.com/james/animchallenge/characters.jpg

Aken009
06-08-2003, 06:16 PM
here's what my original kid would of looked like...but he just didn't seem to fit with my gnome character at all...so I decided to go with the other kid (pic above)

http://jakmreed.tripod.com/james/animchallenge/kid.jpg

Aken009
06-08-2003, 06:19 PM
oh and don't forget teddy...I was going to give it some patches...ect...but then I remembered...this is an animation challenge...not a modeling challenge :surprised

http://jakmreed.tripod.com/james/animchallenge/teddy.jpg

Aken009
06-13-2003, 04:21 AM
update time...here's my boards now that I've drawn it out...I might have to do a lot of cutting...I'm going to try and do an animatic to help me out with the timing...dunno...we'll see
http://jakmreed.tripod.com/james/animchallenge/boards01.jpg

http://jakmreed.tripod.com/james/animchallenge/boards02.jpg

Aken009
06-13-2003, 10:45 AM
if any one have any thoughts/suggestions on my animation idea I would love to hear them...cuz I'm just not sure if this will work...

thanks guys

grury
06-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Go for it Aken!
Think your story has got loads of potential, although u may have to do a few cuts to try to fit all that within the 20 sec. max. rule.
great stuff, i love your gnome and teddy bear, I would like to see them together in one scene, just to see how they all fit together, style wise.

:thumbsup:

Aken009
06-14-2003, 09:37 PM
just a deformation test....no animations as of yet...
I'm still trying to figure out the rig...I haven't had to make one in over 2 years...so it's almost like relearning it all over again...I wish I had a team of gnomes to do the rigging for me...I have a gnome...but I have to rig him...:surprised

http://jakmreed.tripod.com/james/animchallenge/deformation_test.jpg

oh...and yes...his palm is all messed up...I must of deleted some faces at one point...but I'll get on this...

Aken009
06-15-2003, 11:25 PM
hey I'm not sure exactly where to post this...but it IS related to this animation challenge...so i'm gonna try my luck here...

I created a few blendshapes for my characters...and on the kid there are 3-4 out of the 8 blends that make the head explode...has this happened to anyone before? cuz I'd rather not spend another 2 hours remodeling the heads...but I will if I have to:surprised thanks...

here's the heads...

http://jakmreed.tripod.com/james/animchallenge/heads.jpg

here's the messed up blendshape...

http://jakmreed.tripod.com/james/animchallenge/blendshape_wacked.jpg

LoTekK
06-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Hi Aken. I'll start off by saying I positively love your storyline, and that shot of the gnome lying on the ground in abject terror looks great. :)

I've encountered this exact problem before, and it related to my target having its symmetry modifier on. Once I collapsed the symmetry modifier, all was good again. You may have to fiddle a little, and this may not necessarily be the specific cause of your problem, but it's a start. Check your symmetry modifiers, if you used any, and collapse them, and se if that fixes your problem. Best of luck, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this animation progress. :)

Aken009
06-17-2003, 02:37 AM
Check your symmetry modifiers, if you used any, and collapse them, and se if that fixes your problem.

does maya have symmetry modifiers? if so...I don't know what that is...

this is what I did...I "deleted history", and I did "freeze transformations" on all heads...but the thing is...if this was the source of the problem...then why do half the heads work?

Aken009
06-18-2003, 11:32 PM
well seems like I figured out the problem...

I must of modified the number of CVs on my head, which in turn changed the order of CVs, creating a funky effect when I do the blendshapes...so it looks like I will be remodeling the heads anyways...but thanks muchly to those who helped out...

will be showing some animations hopefully soon...I have to take a trip to alberta to help my brother with his new house...He's fixing the fence and painting the basement...ect...but I should be back after the weekend with hopefully some updates...

NOV
06-19-2003, 11:33 PM
looks like you are putting a lots effort on this chalenge. looking forward to see your animation! :)

littlebrother
06-20-2003, 05:14 PM
I love your story, as well as the models; can't wait to see some animtion tests!

Aken009
06-30-2003, 08:06 AM
[NOV] yeah man...I'm looking forward to seeing some animations too...lol...I have been somewhat busy at my brothers for 12 days...instead of the planned 5 :surprised but I'm back...and I'm waaaay behind schedule...but I"ll try and do what I can while I can.

littlebrother hey man...thanks for your comments...I'll keep workin at it...hopefully some animation in a few days.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.