PDA

View Full Version : Bluescreen -> What shade of Blue?

ben_smith
06-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Hi there boys and girls

For an upcoming project we will be organsing a bluescreen shoot. We will be erecting a false wall in a studio and painting it blue to act as the bluescreen.

Does anyone have any opinions or feedback on the kind of blue paint we should use? Should we splash out on expensive rosco "ultimatte blue" paint, or just go to B&Q and get the brightest, most primary blue paint we can lay our hands on?

We don't know what keyer we will use yet, but it is likely to be ultimatte or zBig or something. Does this impact the colour?

ben

Benjamin Smith | SFdp | www.sfdp.co.uk

Strob
06-06-2003, 08:58 AM
I tried the rosco paint for a greenscreen. It worked very well for the keying, but for the paint istself, it was very difficult to paint cause it doesn't cover well. It took a lot of coat to cover the wall perfectly.

I'm very curious to see someone trying with ordinary paint similar in color to that of Rosco.

By the way I used green paint cause we were shooting in DV and I read somewhere that the DV CCDs has more shades of green than shades of blue.

Here are some pics of my greenscreen:
http://www.phylactere-cola.com/flash/galerie/divers/local/green%20screen/green_screen_02.htm

Ian Jones
06-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Strob: That's a good point. I know that with digital camera's you usually always find more noise and artefacts in the blue channel. I definitely have to try greenscreening now.

X3M
06-08-2003, 03:58 AM
There is a new paint made specificly for digital video. It is dark florescent blue. I was looking at Rosco but I got it from some small local company for half a price. It is called Chroma Paint - Super Blue. I had to put four coats of it but at the end it came quite nice. The paint is florecent so from the distance it looks flowless...

NeoGSR
06-16-2003, 05:40 AM
Ive done a bit of video editing and compositing and find it much easier to key green than blue.
But this is only because some actors have blue eyes, even though there are ways around this...
Anyway there are companies that sell premaid screens and some that rent them out.

I dont know, its late and just throwing out suggestions.

halogenic139
06-19-2003, 09:18 PM
hey, i'm interested in purchasing a pre-maid bluscreen. do you think you could point me to any websites/retail areas that sell them? or the website of the manufacturer?

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.