PDA

View Full Version : 6sec Animation Test..

FattyGrissle
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
This was a clip I heard and decided to do a quick animation to. This is my first time posting my animation on here, so take it easy on me! Im open to all crits.
Took about 5 hours.
I know of a few right off the bat.. See if you notice them..
And im thinking he needs a better pose for 'balls' to emphisise 'WET' more.. could be wrong...
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNwZ4k6wwfA

FattyGrissle
09-12-2008, 06:14 PM
This is a new one I did over the last 2 days (while at work)
Total time on it is probably 5 hours.
Enjoy.
And im STILL open to crits.. Even though it seems no one has any.. Which is odd because I think they could use some help and added work... I just dont know where!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRKWjJdm9Ic

FattyGrissle
09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
And yet another one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2cxQA5ycOI

Cannysage
09-30-2008, 05:38 PM
hahah, those are great! :thumbsup:

BOY1DA
10-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Was trying to send you a PM but seems your limit is full.
Send me a Pm with your e-mail if you can ?

THANKS

DevIII
10-30-2008, 08:32 PM
hey FattyGrissle, you still want critts on these?
I just noticed them i guess their pretty old.
you have a great since of posing but could still work on your face and acting.

FattyGrissle
10-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks!! Ya, the facial animation/emotion has always been something I have had issues with. I have the feeling that for one, they arent strong enough, and two, they come too late. I think maybe his face should give away his thoughts before his actions do. Something im trying to work on. As for those posing... Thanks! I still dont see them as being strong enough.
I think maybe because I animate straight ahead on most animation, that could be one of the issues... Im still experimenting.
I have a couple more if youre interested. I think the facials are a bit better....
But you be the judge...

George Bush....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq1rjDOqmY4

And Bill CLinton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_0u9AAnw0

Lesia
10-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Love 'em!

Cheers
Karl

DevIII
11-01-2008, 07:09 AM
one of things I noticed right away was your eyelids are very concervative and those tell us alot.
in the first one i still haven't figured out what his saying, and his smiles a bit much. but its I like the posing which i do thing is strong.

In number three, after the first "tute" widening the eyelids to reveal the white around the iris would have emphasized the embarrassment factor, and the face would seem less stiff too.
he seems to be talking through his teeth a bit to much, a bit more motion around the jaw wouldn't hurt. The mouth shaping is great.

the two new ones are a bit more linear, then the others were. I like your Clinton he seems like it might have picked up on some of his facial expressions. but your bush's eyes are too wide, you can barely see bush's eyes normally he squints so much and bush very rarely shows his teeth when he talks, its one of the odd features of his face. technically the new ones are strong. the bush animation has a dead key at the very end, on the hands which is pretty notable.
your being to humble man, your work is strong which is why no ones said anything about it yet ;) I would be proud to have your sense of posing.

NURB
11-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi,

Overall lipsinc is looking pretty good for me, but mouth shapes could have a bit more exaggeration. Also, one thing i've noticed in all your animations is about timing while pose changing and hands movement. Looks a bit linear. Maybe you should try to add more ease in/outs to fix this moment.

FattyGrissle
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the critiques guys! They mean a LOT. Believe me..

DevIII
You know, my eyelids have always been a personal issue with me. I can never seem to get them right. I watch a lot of animated movies and try to pay close attention to HOW they move in respect to what is being said/thought, but its still something im having a hard time grasping. Something I will for sure be continuing to work on.
One thing I have been noticing is the lip sync quality/clearity seems to drop AFTER the character is animated. See, I do the lip sync first. Dont know if thats the typical way to do it, but its just they way I found I liked. BUT, like I said, it seems to lose its 'crispness' probably due to the motion of the character taking away from the mouth. So im thinking going in AFTER the animation and exaggerating some mouth/jaw positions would be a benificial idea.
As for the bush, lol, squinting WOULD be a better idea. Bring his eyelids closer together. And the dead key at the end is me just super exaggerating his pose. I had seen one clip of him trying to explain something, in the only way he can, and he brought his arms out in front of him, then bobbed his head. I see what you mean though. Another one of my friends asked about that too. So im thinking a little motion in the hands/arms would help.

As for my work being strong... I dont see it myself, but thank you for the very kind words.

NURB
Thanks! I do a LOT of lypsync at work, so I hope it looks alright! LOL
The character I use at work has sliders for the mouth shapes. I used to like it, but now with using this different rig, I am finding SO much more control with the mouth positions being controlled by controllers and points. But the exageration is a good idea. As I mentioned above, I need to go in AFTER the animation and exagerate certain words and positions.
And I couldnt agree more!! The hands and arms seem to be linear. I will for sure try using more ease in/outs and maybe offset the keys a bit so it doesnt seem so linear and robotic.
Thanks a lot for your input!

DevIII
11-03-2008, 04:34 PM
fattyGrissle do you have your face expressions and your body in the same rig?
just curious as I usually animate the body with a single bone representing the head. and then do my face afterwards.
I do the face off to the side on a rig which contains only the head and rigging to describe expressions, then a single morph target copies the animation of my side face onto the fully animated model. this way I can make adjustments with out woring about line of sight or what pose the head is in.

sometimes its good to vary your tactics too, like if I want to hold arms in the air instead of keeping IK on and posing keys to sugest the arms floating, just do a switch to an fk pose, then when your chest moves slightly the hands will follow and we wont notice the dead key as much. its also very easy to ad some slight adjustments to sugest shaking in fk.

FattyGrissle
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Ya, its all on the same rig. And good god, I like your set up. That would be a great idea! Never even thought of that. Im sure its somewhat easy to set up? Im NOT very good with that stuff.
You know whats SAD... And I will admit this. I had NO idea about the ik/fk switch till... The bush animation. See, I have been at a place now for just about 2 years using the same character. She (the char) doesnt have switching. And being that I didnt know MAX before this job (I used maya) I never thought to look. So i totally agree. Switching would help the arms follow the body. I will try that out.
When I first learned how to animate I either used IK or FK.. never used the both. So im learning as I go. I also just learned about sliding keys! hahaha....
I shouldnt admit that stuff, but what ever. Im learning...
And thanks again!
Im going to look into that whole idea of having a seperate head to work on!

DevIII
11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
no problem, I got the idea for the head rigging here on the rigging forum, so if you get lost look there.

FattyGrissle
11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Will do! And thanks again!

FattyGrissle
11-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I tried to go for a more 'acting' driven audio clip. Tried to do more with the facial animation and eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Sz6OK3iNQ

FattyGrissle
11-26-2008, 05:14 PM
And... Yet another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObGU-1ZF4l4
or HQ
http://www.vimeo.com/2354319

KyleG
11-26-2008, 09:08 PM
the pose he is in after he says "tortoise" is very awkward, and very hard to hold if you actually try it yourself, if you want him near the ground I would just have him kneel on one knee.

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2008, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.