PDA

View Full Version : atmosphere-trying(eager for critiques!)

birdman03
09-08-2008, 05:20 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/340331/340331_1220846603_submedium.jpg
:curious: i'm trying to create an atmosphere~ but it always isn't felt good...
tell me where is going wrong~ thank u!

CybrGfx
09-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Hello!
I like the lighting colors of this scene, but the mist/fog is inconsistent, and illogical. It is spotty in application, with high areas, low areas, and bare areas, which is not the way fog works, weather-wise.

You also have a poor sky on top, with the light sections in the sky not corresponding to your lighting of the scene.

~C

birdman03
09-09-2008, 06:53 AM
thank you so much! thank you for your advices!
In fact,i mainly test the aerial perspective in this piece.Does it have the effect?
About the fog:What if it's some kind of somke rushing out from somewhere such as underground? Is it logical then?
and the sky,i'll think about it~ thank you!

birdman03
09-09-2008, 07:09 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/340331/340331_1220940306_submedium.jpg
adjusted
is the sky ok now? and if the mist or something is fog, is it the way it works now? thank you!

asongforOphelia
09-09-2008, 02:01 PM
The left side seems to stick out to me, particularly the fog there. It's not quite the right color (too blue) and doesn't work with the darkness of the city there. I like the way that the tallest building, close to the center, is reflecting the orange light from the right side... maybe more of the building should reflect it? Is there a reason that only that building reflects it?

Overall, though I think you have a good piece... but it is lacking "oomph". It's a good composition as far as "mood" but doesn't make my eyes want to study it. Your colors correctly display your mood, and I think the shapes do too.

CybrGfx
09-09-2008, 04:29 PM
It has improved somewhat.

Your original post, and your followup reply, indicate that the focus of this piece is the atmosphere.

The problem with this piece, is that your composition is flawed, so any atmosphere work will only be successful to the point that your bad composition becomes more dominant than the atmosphere.

This work has reached that point.
To fix the compositional errors is honestly not worth the extensive time or effort, as opposed to simply starting anew. Balance, Flow, Value, Unity...too many mistakes.

Take the lessons in atmosphere from this work, and apply them to your next.

~C

birdman03
09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
really appreciate you people!
to asongforOphelia: i'll consider about the "oomph",hehe! good advice~thank you!
to CybrGfx: it is for sure a good way to start an all new piece. however,what does your " Flow, Value" mean? i really got tired looking at this piece,and couldn't discover where the mistakes actually are. And i need to pay more attention to those places in my coming pieces. thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.