PDA

View Full Version : Inset with curved corners on a cone?

carlg
09-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Hi,
I need some help with this shape, and my search-fu is cripplingly weak, so I apologize in advance if anyone's already posted something like this.

I have this truncated cone, and I want to add an inset with curved corners but keep the top and bottom edges sharp. I included a wireframe pic of what I have so far. As you can see from the render pics, it's already showing all kinds of artifacts and nastiness, and when I try to turbosmooth it, it's even worse.

I've always had this problem when trying to do insets and things, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

carlg
09-08-2008, 04:20 AM
I worked on it a bit more -- as you can see in the wireframe pic, I welded some vertices and cleaned up the topology. The chamfered edges (in red) seem to hold their shape a lot better now without screwing up the surrounding surfaces so much. Still, if anyone has any general suggestions about modeling this sort of inset, it would be very helpful.

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2008, 04:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.