PDA

View Full Version : Game Icons - Character/scene - icedeyes

icedeyes
06-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Ok.. i have to practice in low poly modelling so i am taking part in this challenge... I am drawing the concept sketch right now.. i will post it when it is finished... One question though... does our scene have to be one character only because my concept is based on a character and, lets say, a kind of interaction with the environment... I will have the time to finish this challenge because right now i am on vacation so i have quite much free time... I might also use a high poly version from what i will create here for the clasic challenge.. C ya around...

icedeyes
06-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Alright.. here is the concept... It is a demon that comes out of a wall and tries to kill the main character (a detective of some sort) while the floor will be flooded with blood.. The demon will have the color of the wall and the wall wil have some candles that i didn't draw... hope you like the idea..

icedeyes
06-06-2003, 11:52 PM
ok.. started working on my main character today.. hope you like how its going so far.. have fun

As for the story, a paranormal detective is called to investigate a house that a guy inherited from is late insane uncle.. In the game, the guy discovers that this guy was all after the powers that hell could provide him with and that he is not really dead but transformed in a way... Your goal will be to exile him and his foul demons from the house in any way possible...

icedeyes
06-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Hey.. no replies yet... hmmmm.. might be that my work is not up to standards.. hope you like the new updates... almost finished with the face except the hair and ears and eyes and teeth... Its a little over 1000 tris by now.... This is my first try in low poly modelling by the way.. have fun. comments and critique are always welcome...

Edit: attached are the low and high poly versions of the main character...

mtmckinley
06-07-2003, 03:29 PM
I think your "low" poly model might be a bit high still. Remember, that game models are required to be triangulated in the game engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mods, but I believe the 4000 limit we have is in regards to triangle faces.

icedeyes
06-09-2003, 12:44 AM
I was talking about tris.. i just hadnt tringulated the model in the previous picture.. here is the triangulated version along with new hair and neck and also eyes and some corrections in the mesh.. hope you like it.. comments and critique always welcome

icedeyes
06-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Another update.. comments are welcome... and by any lightwave user: is there another way to reduce polys in an object other than the reduce polys that doesnt really do anything for me? I have 5.6 at home and 7 in the school i work for... thanks in advance...

icedeyes
06-09-2003, 02:59 PM
and a not wire shaded one

icedeyes
06-09-2003, 05:31 PM
test render on cel shader

icedeyes
06-10-2003, 12:44 PM
lease if you see this people, comment in any way you like... tell me what you like and what you dont... thanks in advance...

update:

SpaceJASE
06-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Looks like you're moving along swiftly!

The only couple things I think I would suggest is
1) smoothing/averaging the normals of your models.
2) reducing the poly count on the head a little to get some more definition in rest of the body (that is, if you are near the 4K limit) The guys's body seems quite 'tube-like' right now. If you're not happy with the reduce poly tool in LW, can you delete polys and then 'fill hole' ? (I'm not LW savvy - but maybe it has this function?) This may end up being time consuming, but you'd have much more control over where the polys are reduced.
3) If the Demon guy is part of your environment, I think you get 50,000 polys to do an environment... so why not create a whole room and fill him out with more polys! However, if you are entering the challenge, I think that you will have to loose the demon as the character/environment are to be judged separately.
I think...

Those are just my thoughts... take them as you will. :)

Keep pushing it!

icedeyes
06-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks for your comments SpaceJASE... right now i am having some serious trouble with my pc so, when i get it back in shape and reinstall everything i will follow your advice as far as reshaping the polycount and fixing the polygon normals along... I will ask bentlama about the whole environment thing... Thanks a lot for your comments once again... lw basically can fill holes manually as far as i know but is pretty good and fast at it so i will try that.. as i said in the beggining i am a low poly model newbie.. Up to now i have only made high poly characters so any further advise would prove more than useful...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.