PDA

View Full Version : Book suggestion

ACFred
04-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Hey there folks.

A book I found really handy is Digital Texturing & Painting by Owen Demers.
While somewhat Maya-centric, the book does contain a lot of basic principles of texturing, including uses of procedural, painted, and photographic textures.

I found his suggestions for creating aging and dirtying up stuff in Photoshop (applicable in other apps) really useful.

He even shows you how to make a really nice texture out of Sculpey, a sponge and a quick paint job!

The book covers enough of the concept that you should be able to apply any of the techniques

That's it.

Alec

hartcons
04-28-2002, 10:44 AM
This book is long on inspiration (and beautifully printed) but possibly short on techniques that can be easily transferred to one's own work and 3D program of choice (unless you're working on something similar to one of the author's projects). Overall I think I got a little more out of the lighting book in this series. With the price of computer books these days you certainly feel like you need to get a lot out of them to justify the purchase price.

marque-pierre
04-18-2004, 12:43 AM
I must say I am a big fan of this book. The whole first section about "seeing" was big for me. Arguably the texture projects he uses in the second half of the book are maybe not the most used ones in, say the typical games production cycle. But I still think he equips you with the observation powers and experimentation ditto to approach any texture challenge confidently.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.