PDA

View Full Version : Eyelids and SSS?

danb
09-06-2008, 01:41 AM
In the attached picture you can see the eyes can be seen through the eyelids. I like where the SSS is at the moment for everything but the eyelids. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this please?

Thnx.

kenBechtold
09-06-2008, 02:16 AM
I have never used Cinemas SSS. but with Mental Ray you would get the same problems. To fix it I would paint a Map to Control How Deep the SSS was. Deeper around the ears. and not alot around the eyes or mouth.

I would think you could Map that with Cinema. Either an Image based map, or maybe a vertex.

Hope that might stir something up.

danb
09-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Ok that sounds good thanks. I've never done anything like this before. How would i go about doing this?

LucentDreams
09-06-2008, 09:33 AM
select points you want SSS and paint them 100%, leave points you don't want at 0%, then use a vertex map shader to convert the vertex map into a black and white image that the material can sue for masking.

danb
09-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Kai, i will try that out. Do I use a fusion or layer shader to combine the vertex map shader and my SSS in the luminance channel?

danb
09-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Ok think i'm on the right track now. I didn't read the "masking" part of your reply.

Thanks for the help again. :)

Now just need to find the right mix.

danb
09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
How can i get my character to show up with my skin shader in the viewport? See attached...

I have a red shader applied lastly that is making the character show up red in the viewport. If i change the order of the shaders so that the skin shader shows up last then the red doesn't render.

This is not a big deal but i'm stumped at how to fix it. Any ideas?

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.