PDA

View Full Version : microsofts first seinfield ad

DuttyFoot
09-05-2008, 11:13 PM
has anyone seen the new microsoft ad with seinfeld. am i missing something. better yet, is that ad for real. take note of bills id that he shows the sales person, lol. if i didn't know better i would think they were selling shoes.

http://www.therawfeed.com/2008/09/microsofts-seinfeld-ad-hits-here-it-is.html

Magnus3D
09-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Eheh.. i hope it's not for real, but it sadly looks like it is. Seinfeld himself is a funny guy but no this ad is just wrong and not even Seinfeld can make it good, i can't even understand what they're trying to sell unless it's fancy shiny shoes which fall apart if you walk with them, kinda like Vista falls apart if you try to use it. :)

Worst ad everrrr! :D

/ Magnus

sebbonaparte
09-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Well I got a bit of a chuckle out of it, just because it was funny to see Seinfeld and Gates on the same screen. Gates is a terrible actor though, and Seinfeld wasn't at his best either. Bit of a bummer, definitely not an Apple killer.

DuttyFoot
09-06-2008, 12:28 AM
definitely not an Apple killer.

(sarcasm here) is that what they are trying to do, wow i guess they are not trying hard enough.
the guys at apple are probably shaking there heads saying that microsoft just dosen't get it. hopefully there next ad will deliver a better message.

heavyness
09-06-2008, 12:36 AM
well, it is a ongoing series of commercials... this first one introduces you to the characters.

i'll wait and see. i got a few chuckles from it.

Argopo
09-06-2008, 12:37 AM
When I saw the ad last night, I did not laugh, did not smile, did not cry...

A completely meaningless ad.

$10mil for unfunny Seinfeld guy. How much does real funny Seinfled guy cost?

DizzyJ
09-06-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm curious to see how the campaign develops, but that "introduction" ad didn't do anything for me. It seems like a wasted effort. But Microsoft has money to burn, so I guess that's what you do: make ads that neither amuse nor pitch your product. I liked Bill in it better than Seinfeild, though.

rayh
09-06-2008, 01:08 AM
better than steve jobs' 2 hours talking on a simple cell phone.

MAK
09-06-2008, 01:14 AM
True!
:beer:

agreenster
09-06-2008, 01:33 AM

Except..........Steve Jobs has sold a gazillion iPhones

StrangeSharp
09-06-2008, 01:34 AM
I much preferred their Mojave Experiment (http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/). I only saw it a week ago though, so I'm not sure how old news it is.

MAK
09-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Except..........Steve Jobs has sold a gazillion iPhones
And Bill Gates nothing obviously, right? :bowdown:

SheepFactory
09-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Can someone explain to me what about this ad is related to CG?

fabman
09-06-2008, 02:46 AM

Man!, don't use the name of the holy jobs in vain or the hordes of apple crusaders will haunt you till you convert. Don't you know that the cool thing it's make jokes and criticize Microsoft, or eventually Sony, but please don't touch the holy apple.

And Bill Gates nothing obviously, right?
Yep!, he got all his money going down the chimney every xmas eve and helping the grinch to steal the xmas.

richcz3
09-06-2008, 03:07 AM
Can someone explain to me what about this ad is related to CG? I could be wrong but I think those churros where CG.

You know I just embraced Vista 64 on two new rigs... but after viewing that skit ...

BigJay
09-06-2008, 03:39 AM
I guess you could argue that it relates to the next version of windows which will affect us. The problem is its a big build up to hint to some new version of windows or is it just a vista ad. I don't know.

OneSharpMarble
09-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Not the funniest ad out there but atleast it's not a cheap shot at apple.

bleumoon
09-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Wow, that was quite terrible indeed. For an introductory ad it sure seemed like it was going nowhere :surprised

sebbonaparte
09-06-2008, 05:03 AM
(sarcasm here) is that what they are trying to do, wow i guess they are not trying hard enough.
the guys at apple are probably shaking there heads saying that microsoft just dosen't get it. hopefully there next ad will deliver a better message.
?
I wasn't remarking on the product, I was remarking on the commercial. Although the commercial was funny and memorable because of the characters and strange situation involved, I personally do not believe it will have quite as much of an impact as the Apple Mac-PC commercials do on the general public, because it does not effectively and directly promote the product. No matter how condescending and annoying the Apple commercials are, I believe that the series has been a successful campaign.

I'm not a Mac fanboy, I'm looking at this from a bird's eye view.

DuttyFoot
09-06-2008, 05:16 AM
hey sebbonaparte, i got what you said, i was just trying to be sarcastic in the sense that i was acting as if i didnt know what microsoft was trying to do. thats why i put in the first line of my response " is that what the ad was supposed to be about". other than the first line of my response the rest is just my idea of what the guys at apple are probably saying or doing in when they see this ad. sorry if you misunderstood me :)

Fess1001
09-06-2008, 05:50 AM
After watching this add (and from reading somewhere that Microsoft wanted to get people puzzled and thinking of what it might be up to), I am guessing whatever it IS that they are up to - it has to be quite unlike anything.

Would be interesting to see where this goes. And while the add does seem to plow in a somewhat random direction at first, what I am glad it doesn't have - is the bashing of the next biggest competitor.

tuna
09-06-2008, 06:05 AM
You guys have heard of viral marketing, right?

There are an awful lot of people on the internet saying how the ad doesn't work, while posting about it on forums and blogs with all sorts of extreme opinions.. Which make it work. I certainly would not have seen this advert if it had not appeared on almost every website I visit regularly because of this outrage.

P_T
09-06-2008, 06:09 AM
MS doesn't need to bash anyone. They still got the biggest market share for desktop OS.

MAK
09-06-2008, 10:47 AM
You guys have heard of viral marketing, right?

There are an awful lot of people on the internet saying how the ad doesn't work, while posting about it on forums and blogs with all sorts of extreme opinions.. Which make it work. I certainly would not have seen this advert if it had not appeared on almost every website I visit regularly because of this outrage.

yup, this is exactly what they were aiming for IMO.

subtlebluetones
09-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Well i thought it was funny. But i dont think i got any of the jokes.

I like Bill Gates :)

thethule
09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, i thought that was hilarious. Love the cut to the spanish family looking into the shot. Great, dry humour. Not sure what it has to do with PC's but it made me laugh.

Marc

BigPixolin
09-06-2008, 04:04 PM
There are an awful lot of people on the internet saying how the ad doesn't work, while posting about it on forums and blogs with all sorts of extreme opinions.. Which make it work.

That is funny and true.

Titus
09-06-2008, 04:14 PM
You know, it's an ad about nothing.

grantmoore3d
09-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Hahaha, brilliant. Actually, that was 10 times funnier than the commercial!

Michael5188
09-06-2008, 04:47 PM

I loved the ad, and everyone saying Seinfeld did poorly and it was a horrible ad, well, have you ever seen Seinfeld comedy or the show before? That was exactly what his humor has always been like, meaningless conversation about nothing. I thought it was really good, but his humor isn't for everyone.

Anyways, I'm also glad to see any ad that doesn't just bash on the competitor, I really hate that, I feel like it makes the ad seem desperate, like they're falling so far behind they have to stoop to that level.

Gentle Fury
09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Man, I like Seinfeld...but that was just plain bad! And was that picture on his ID his mug shot from when he got arrested for wreckless endangerment?

laughingcrows
09-07-2008, 06:13 AM
has anyone seen the new microsoft ad with seinfeld.

Yes. It sucks. Who were the ad-wizards who thought up this crap?

arneltapia
09-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Man!, don't use the name of the holy jobs in vain or the hordes of apple crusaders will haunt you till you convert. Don't you know that the cool thing it's make jokes and criticize Microsoft, or eventually Sony, but please don't touch the holy apple.

Yep!, he got all his money going down the chimney every xmas eve and helping the grinch to steal the xmas.

Now Apple is Intel inside just like PCs. :applause: And i don't believe he(steve) or it(the apple) is holy. And who's the convert now? :rolleyes: