PDA

View Full Version : Freelancer Needs Modelling Advice

Johnny_Scott
04-26-2002, 08:45 AM
Hi!

This is my first post on this forum.

I'm in the process of reworking some animation for a musical concert display. The animation involves fairy-tale characters interacting with a young boy.

I am having trouble with modelling the face of this psuedo-real young boy who is going to be inserted in the animation. I have no experience generating human faces and am specifically having trouble continuing the contour lines (rows of quads) across the face. My goal is to have contour lines that follow structures of the face so that many different facial expressions are possible during animation.

I would like some advice on resolving some of the circled areas of this controlling mesh. Specifically the reduction of detail between the simpler planes of his cheeks to and the more complex area where the upper and lower lips meet in a corner (this area is circled; should I continue the lip corner conture lines in a different direction; perhaps under and around the chin to avoid having to use five sided polys on the cheek planes which seem to break the conture-defining rows?).

Currently I have four rows of quads coming from the lip corners which are reduced to two rows via a five-sided polygon. I put the five sided polys in because, at least at the moment, I am focused on being as low-poly as possible in my controlling mesh.

I'd also like some general comments on the construction of the facial surface (beyond the face itself there has been no refining as of yet).

I am especially concerned about interpolating between the loops around the major structures of the face (ie the quad-rows which make circles around the eye, lips, and nose). How can I better interpolate between these circular rows of quads?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help!

-Johnny Scott

Johnny_Scott
04-26-2002, 08:47 AM
Subdivided render

Johnny_Scott
04-26-2002, 08:59 AM
exaggerations in proportion are intentional

Johnny_Scott
04-26-2002, 09:01 AM
Sub-D Controlling mesh

fxjeane
04-26-2002, 08:53 PM
The loops from the cheeks dont need to follow back to the top of the skull. They can go back to behind the ear. You also have several 5 sided polygons right next to the mouth. Those will be very hard to animate with. try to use only 4 and 3 sided polygons.

for great examples on modeling humanoid heads go to

http://www.erc.msstate.edu/~camen/thehumanhead/

Here is an old picture of a model i never finished. I Have outlined 4 different loop directions, I hope that helps.

cheers
FXjeane

Marcel
05-01-2002, 08:10 PM
A good forum for subdivision modelling is Spiraliod:

http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/index.php

Browse the forum for reference materials of some great mesh cages. There are some crazy skilled people there!

Just that you know: at Spiraliod you have to post a link or image every post, so be nice and follow the rules :) .

Marcel

Johnny_Scott
05-02-2002, 07:13 PM
fxjeane - the link you provided was really very helpful.

Here's an update. Any thoughts?

Johnny_Scott
05-02-2002, 07:14 PM
The trouble is making him appear YOUNG. I need to shoot for 8 to twelve years old. I think I've been looking at him for too long; I can't really get a sense of age from him.

Does anybody have experience/knowledge of specific queues we pick up on visually associated with children? (ie facial proportions with age)

fxjeane
05-02-2002, 09:30 PM
The loops on your last model are a lot better. They will help you a lot when you get to rigging and animating that model.

how to make him look young?. Hum. i think you are on track. Laarge head, lare eyes, high forehead. small mouth and nose. The skull might be too round and maybe you want to make his cheeks a little "puffy-er". I guees it all depends on what kind of character he (or she) is.

I do think the cheeks are to high. allso pay close attention to the forehead, maybe you want to extend those edges back a couple of loops, so that they dissapear with the hair line.

I think your trick will be in texturing the model. Little kids have fewer blemishes , sacars and marks than adults. thir skin is usually very smooth.

keep up the good work

Johnny_Scott
05-02-2002, 10:41 PM
fxjeane - this is EXACTLY the type of advice I need! Thanks! I've got to get back to class but I'll make some changes tonight and post an update.

I felt there was something wrong with the cheeks too.

l_farley13_l
05-03-2002, 03:08 AM
Check out the girl that pixar did for Monsters, she seems kinda similar.

I'd have to say, rounded features, and bulging of some baby fat left over would help. I think the eyelids need some restructuring, but first make the eyes themseves a bit rounder, and then mold the face to the eyes.

I've attatched a screengrab of my own attempt w/ some reference

http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/Result02.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/boy-01.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/kid1.jpg

Johnny_Scott
05-06-2002, 12:45 AM
I finished the head completely.

That is, other than a couple of things.

The eyeballs, ears, hair, and textures.

I'm having difficulty with the ear structures. Does anybody know of a page with good ear images from different angles?

I'm nearly finished with the eyeballs. I looked at boo from Monsters inc ; very good inspiration.

The difficulty in doing eyes (for me) was getting the shadow of the scolera (spelling?) cast onto the iris without using raytracing to detect the transparency on the outer lense. Raytracing is way too expensive and also casts ugly sharp shadows.

I finished and am really happy with the result; a nice soft shadow on the iris from the direction of the specular-only light and in cheap shadow maps!

I attatched an image and a link to an animation putting the eyes through their paces. Comments?

Johnny_Scott
05-06-2002, 12:52 AM
here is the eye animation link
http://home.att.net/~johnny.w.scott/augeANIM02.avi

Adam Klein
05-13-2002, 05:59 PM
about making him/her look younger, try dropping the chin in, more like an overbite

The eyeballs look alright, but they look like glass, if you add color map with the shredded look of an iris it will be more interesting. really though color map is only the start... As you add the proper map to each channel it will get more and more realistic looking. Computer Arts has a tut. that has been standard around the net for a while .. where's the link... ahh, don't know, its pretty close to the name though:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.