PDA

View Full Version : Footsteps in 3DS Max

Bunnyjen
09-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi everyone, i'm not sure if this is in the correct area, so sorry if it is not.

I'm currently using footsteps in 3Ds Max to make a biped walk up a flight of stairs. At the top I wish to switch to key frame animation which I will create myself, however, it tells me that you cannot set keys after the last footstep. Does anyone know if it is possible to use footsteps at the start of an animation, then continue to animate without them later on in the animation?

Hope this makes sense, thank you :)

Mr. D
09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Hello

Load your stairs step animation, when you get to the end of it and want to do free form in 'Biped Area'
turn off Footstep Mode
click 'Convert' icon, changes biped footsteps into freeform animation.

if you later want to add more Footstep click convert again, but make sure to uncheck 'Flatten Footsteps'

Mr. D

Bunnyjen
09-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it :)

timothyc
09-10-2008, 04:55 AM
The situation is that if you want to mix Footstep and Freeform animations, you must begin and end the animation with Footsteps - i.e. the Freeform period must be "bookended" by Footsteps. In your case, you'd have to create a dummy set of end Footsteps, go to Track View and drag them back in time by enough frames to allow for your Freeform animation period, then squeeze your Freefrom animation in that gap.

Or do as Mr D said.

TC

Bunnyjen
09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I see, ok that's great i'll try both out, although it sounds like perhaps keyframing it all may end up being easier afterall haha! Thanks so much for the help. :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.