PDA

View Full Version : Redesigned LightWave 3DŽ Web site is live

RobertoOrtiz
09-05-2008, 03:01 AM
I got this today...

We are pleased to announce that the redesigned LightWave 3DŽ Web site is now live. Designed to evolve and grow, the new Web site includes:

All new LightWave v9.5 content and imagery
All CSS, multi-browser accessibility (performs the same in every browser)
Front page animation showcasing compelling LightWave artwork
Visit: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/index.php (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001VOKn58awks5XcpzF4_Xg6i3uLzy6UZXwG4H06EKB4Naj9a7b6-ZycqFuvxEfuzan13vDzPqPXrLz1XwdLdAknn60_W82RdfS9UNzy7GbLW5gckx6hAoxc6jx-twmmNRajWQpGcXIUxg=).

Enjoy,

NewTek

Lewis3D
09-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Looking very, very nice, kudos to NewTek :).

bearfoot
09-05-2008, 09:15 AM
yep i agree

looks cool and its about time.

good projects list and gallery.

well done everyone

HowardM
09-08-2008, 02:22 PM
What a shame the Gallery doesnt portray LWs strengths.

NT dont seem to care to look professional, seems like they are catering to the hobbiest still.

Some decent images are there, love the pencils... cars, architecture, but please, that woman looks worse than any Poser model could ever. Was there really a lack of professional people willing to contribute to this Gallery?

bearfoot
09-08-2008, 02:29 PM
i have to agree about the woman.. its not very pro looking..

i also would like to know how to submit an image to the gallery or what the selection
criteria was..

i agree the content could be better

cheers

biliousfrog
09-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I just commented on the same post in the news section...

The gallery is terrible (aside from a select few). Launching a new site to promote the best Lightwave yet is going to be overshadowed by jokes about how it isn't as good as application "X"....when it certainly is!

How long has Lightwave been out now?...I've been using it for around 8yrs, I remember seeing more inspiring work back when I started on 5.6.

I expect that they're only showing work done in 9.5 but that's a bit pointless really as it's only been out 5 minutes and anything done in an earlier version can easily be done in the new one...remember that Lightwave is in competition with Maxwell, Fry, Mental Ray, V-Ray, Modo, Max, Maya, Softimage......etc.

Bear in mind that this software is free: http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/gallery/art-gallery/

Can Lightwave's gallery compete with that?

Lewis3D
09-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Interesting point but i don't see why you are so negative ? It's indeed 9.5 gallery and completely new site/redesing (which aint easy task), I wonder did you three sent images to that gallery to make it BETTER representing LW ??

Isn't Flash video at top showing what's LW capable (starting with Terminator video and other movie shoots)???

I must say i don't understand this type of bashing and even worse it's from LW users, sorry but that's just nonsense to me :(. Go an send them better gallery pictures if you have, don't just "whine" guys :) :). I too work in Lw for many years (since v3.5) and i have doznes of projects which would look nice in gallery but guess what - NDA isn't alowing me to post them and it doesn't expire EVER so no way I could upload those renders. So basically NT is left with few projects they can get and what users are willing to share on forums. Gallery will be better and better with time, give them little space to breathe, don't just jump in right away and grab them by the throat and trash their work. This is GOOD news guys, new WEB and it's pretty and well designed, Bravo NewTek.

RobertoOrtiz
09-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Ok before this becomes a "lovefest" lets try a different approach...

Keep an eye on this thread, since I have an idea.
-R

HowardM
09-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Look, i didnt post to start a bashing brigade... I simply stated my opinion and somewhat suggested NT wake up. I post this, because I want LW to succeed, and am stating how I think its pretty lame that no one cares enough to want to look professional.

Weve been through it a thousand times. Maybe one day NT will learn? Its not that hard really, just look at ANY other companies Websites, Galleries and Demos.... try to imitate... stop being 2 guys in a garage for gods sake, its been almost 20 years!

Who cares if its a new page? How long has 9+ been in BETA? Room to breathe? You dont roll something out thats half done... you roll something out and make people go wow! Im quite sure there were MUCH better images made in the past few months, and people willing to share them. Or anything made in the past 5 years. Point is, dont pull out a nice new webpage thats suppose to be great and pro, and then show hobbiest stuff.... even the Blender page looks more pro?!

Alot of stuff in the Gallery is Pro, but please remove things that arent, less is more....things like the super nipple woman ;) and perhaps a few of those shots that really dont show anything... the one with a swatch of fiber factory on something indistinguishable....why even show that!?

HowardM
09-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Keep an eye on this thread, since I have an idea.
-R

haha, are you planning a LW 9.5 Gallery Contest? ;)

Lewis3D
09-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Or anything made in the past 5 years. Point is, dont pull out a nice new webpage thats suppose to be great and pro, and then show hobbiest stuff.... even the Blender page looks more pro?!

It SAYS Lightwave 9.5 GALLERY so i really don't see how's that not clear ? Do you think 9.5 is 5 years in beta :) :)?? If they posted old pictures then another guy will jump in and say (jos to say something neagative as always) "hey that's not made with Lw 9.5 i remember that image from LW 9.2 gallery..." and bashing festival would start again. Sorry HowardM I have nothing against you and this is jus tmy opinion when i think oyu are not fair/right, sue me :) :) :p

Please send some of your work so that NT can have better gallery and we all will be more happy :).

RobertoOrtiz
09-08-2008, 05:27 PM
haha, are you planning a LW 9.5 Gallery Contest? ;)

Modesty aside, I am good at organizing challenges, and I might do LIGHTWAVE specific mini challenge in the future.

Anyway, here is the link
The Lightwave Gallery Project: Post a Link towards the Best of the Best (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=5&t=672794)

So if you got the content, POST IT..

:)

-R

Lewis3D
09-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Also check out PROFILES section, that one shows pretty much of excellent/PRO Lw stuff/renders so i really don't see a problem :).

adboy
09-09-2008, 11:14 AM
i've gotta agree with howard
what newtek are doing is showing the best they have from 9.5, being the best of a set doesnt make it great, and to advertise a product i would presonally only put great stuff, on par with the greatest stuff out there.
i used to use lightwave all the time and defend it to the hilt, but in the end i've been forced to move to other products because newtek wont listen, its always frustrating because they are so close to being great but wont put time into advancing in the directions they need to too fully compete in the big leauges

i'm only talking about my experience in film vfx and visualisation but ....
lightwave has a great renderer with unlimited nodes, wheres the decent render pass pipeline?
whats the point of a great renderer if u can't get the information u need out of it.
jeremy harding has written an app that does a good job of compensating for this but damn this should be in the box, built in and ready to go from the start
most other applications use python scripting, does newtek? this is a BIG issue
maya is king of the work when it comes to vfx, anyone who says different hasnt been to a facility.
its not cos its good (cos its not) its because its completely scriptable, so jsut cos its crap coming out of the box it doesnt matter people can script around any issues and get it to do exactly what they want
and by newtek going to python they'd be tapping into something that many many many 3d programers and scripters already use and know, minimal learning curve.

ah i'm ranting, sorry

all i'm really lightwaves a good product, newtek please do your best to make it great be it in advertising or program content

HowardM
09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
im going to have to agree with adboy agreeing with me ;)

Lewis3D
09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I still think you bot are wrong and missed point about 9.5 WEB redesign :p :p :D :D.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.