PDA

View Full Version : Unintentional movement of joints

Jatan
09-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi

I am struggling with a bunch of characters in an animated sequence. Every few minutes I discover that the neck , clavicle, finger joints have moved causing the geometry of the character to deform unintentionally and messing up the whole thing. I am animating the character with controllers and those controllers are only supposed to affect the rotation of the joints. Then why this displacement of joints?
Is it because I probably have skipped a phase (that should come after rigging and before animating) where the bone/joint setup is given a default pose, maybe a keyframe for each of the joint/bone? I usually give a keyframe to each controller somewhere in negative timeline so that i have the default pose available for anytime i need it, for tweaking the weights/morphs, for instance.
In 'Character' menu, under sub menu 'Soft IK / Bones' there are two commands 'Set Chain Rest Position' and 'Set Chain Rest Rotation' I would expect these to do the job but I am not very sure as I am not really using mocca soft IK or bones.
I have a strong feeling there is a step I have been missing all along, something I am not doing right.
Recently I started using Cactus Dan's Pro-Bundle plugin. Haven't really explored every thing it has. And my characters have overall rigging and morph setup done with native cinema tools not CD-Tools. Is there anything in CD-tools that could fix my characters even though they were rigged in cinema before i installed the plugin..
I know this might be a very basic question but i have had no luck finding about it in the forum. I don't know what keywords to use really.
Thanks for ur time :)

LucentDreams
09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
hard to say what is going on without seeing the setup sadly. could be bad rotation values, could be bad expressions or a priority issue.

If you don't want to post the file publicly you could send it to maxon tech support.

cookepuss
09-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Not sure how appropriate or correct of a response this is, but here it goes anyway. Have you checked your f-curves? Maybe those joints were accidentally keyed at one point and now you're experiencing some movement from the curve falloff. Just thinking out loud. :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2008, 06:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.