PDA

View Full Version : delete rig, save pose in mesh

lane_hawk
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Guys

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I have a character that I rigged using set up machine and posed him. I am interested in making a rapid proto type of this character(3d priting). I am now wondering that if I used a specific plug in to rig my character that it might cause problems when I send the file to the 3D priting company as they might not have it. I will also ask them this but I wanted to get some feedback from you guys too.

Is it possible to some how delete the rig but still keep the pose on the mesh? I know it sounds silly but I'm kinda new to the modeling and rigging side of things. Would it involve converting the maya file to another format that would somehow freeze the mesh into a pose?
Thank you in advance!

Dichotomy
09-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Not sure what app setup machine is for, but if its Maya, just select the mesh, go to Edit ---> delete by type ----> history.
not sure for other apps, but I would assume they have some kind of function that is similar, for removing the history of an object.

lane_hawk
09-04-2008, 10:17 AM
THank you! I'll try that

arctor
09-04-2008, 04:09 PM
just save it out as an obj or some other file format...

edwardG
09-04-2008, 06:29 PM
It's actually quite easy to do.

Just select the mesh, then duplicate it (ctrl + d). Then delete the rig, controls, & old mesh and save as a different scene name.

That should work for you.

lane_hawk
09-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Cool! Thanks for the replies guys!

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2008, 01:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.