PDA

View Full Version : Krakatoa issue

Dreamie
09-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi all,

I've started learning Krakatoa few days ago. I checked the manual and didn't find an answer there..

For once, somehow when I switch to the krakatoa render all materials slots in the material editor turn to full black as if its a material of a non supported renderer.

Also, I did a simple dissipation flow of an object, saved the particles and loaded them with krakatoa. The duration is 200 frames. Somehow on frame 50 all the cached particles turn to black in the viewport. I thought it could be a display limitation but I tried to increase the limit count in the loader and it's still the same. From frame 50 and beyond nothing is rendered too..

Can someone recognize this issue? It could be just a silly thing I missed.

Thanks!

Bobo
09-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi all,

I've started learning Krakatoa few days ago. I checked the manual and didn't find an answer there..

For once, somehow when I switch to the krakatoa render all materials slots in the material editor turn to full black as if its a material of a non supported renderer.

Also, I did a simple dissipation flow of an object, saved the particles and loaded them with krakatoa. The duration is 200 frames. Somehow on frame 50 all the cached particles turn to black in the viewport. I thought it could be a display limitation but I tried to increase the limit count in the loader and it's still the same. From frame 50 and beyond nothing is rendered too..

Can someone recognize this issue? It could be just a silly thing I missed.

Thanks!

First problem - yes, the initial versions of Krakatoa (Beta) supported the Material Editor (the vertices of the sample sphere were shown, which wasn't much help).
Then something changed in the way the material editor evaluates the lighting and the vertices started rendering black. So in a way it is currently not supported or at least broken, although you are right that the documentation does not mention it.

For that reason, we ship an additional icon/macro in the Krakatoa category which can be placed on the Krakatoa toolbar and can be used to quickly unlock the Material Editor so it would render in Scanline instead.
http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/krakatoa/macroscripts.php

As for the black particles, I am not sure I recognize the problem, some more info might be useful.
*Where did the particles come from initially?
*Do they render correctly without saving to PRT (straight from whatever particle source you used)?
*What is the color source? Do they render if you override their color via the Main UI?
*Are you using lighting?
*Do they render black on a bright background? In other words, is the Color black, or the Denisty 0? Do they still render black if you check the "Assume Density as 1" checkbox in the PRT Loader?

Any additional info you could give would be useful.
Also, posting to support.franticvfx.com would have been smarter since most of our programmers don't read CGTalk.

Dreamie
09-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi Bobo,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I tried to activate the macroscript but it didn't solve the issue. If I understand correctly the method to use it should be the following:
1. While on the default scanline renderer I press the "toggle material editor renderer lock" script.
2. Switch to Krakatoa renderer.
At this stage the renderer of the material editor should've remained as the scanline one but somehow all the material slots still switch to full black. (I'm using max9 64bit).

As for my other issue, it was a simple pflow particles emitting from an object. Yes I used lighting and it rendered fine in krakatoa without caching (preroll). Once I added a particle loader the problem occured, at frame 50 the particles turn black in the viewport while they retained their animation. They didnt render on a bright bg and checking "Assume Density as 1" didnt help either.

Anyhow - I re-cached the particles and somehow I'm not able to re-produce this problem. I'm not sure what it was, but it renders fine now. :)

Thanks for pointing out support.franticvfx.com - will use that next time.

Isaac.

First problem - yes, the initial versions of Krakatoa (Beta) supported the Material Editor (the vertices of the sample sphere were shown, which wasn't much help).
Then something changed in the way the material editor evaluates the lighting and the vertices started rendering black. So in a way it is currently not supported or at least broken, although you are right that the documentation does not mention it.

For that reason, we ship an additional icon/macro in the Krakatoa category which can be placed on the Krakatoa toolbar and can be used to quickly unlock the Material Editor so it would render in Scanline instead.
http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/krakatoa/macroscripts.php

As for the black particles, I am not sure I recognize the problem, some more info might be useful.
*Where did the particles come from initially?
*Do they render correctly without saving to PRT (straight from whatever particle source you used)?
*What is the color source? Do they render if you override their color via the Main UI?
*Are you using lighting?
*Do they render black on a bright background? In other words, is the Color black, or the Denisty 0? Do they still render black if you check the "Assume Density as 1" checkbox in the PRT Loader?

Any additional info you could give would be useful.
Also, posting to support.franticvfx.com would have been smarter since most of our programmers don't read CGTalk.

Bobo
09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Bobo,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I tried to activate the macroscript but it didn't solve the issue. If I understand correctly the method to use it should be the following:
1. While on the default scanline renderer I press the "toggle material editor renderer lock" script.
2. Switch to Krakatoa renderer.
At this stage the renderer of the material editor should've remained as the scanline one but somehow all the material slots still switch to full black. (I'm using max9 64bit).

Nope.

First switch to Krakatoa, THEN uncheck the toggle. This is equivalent to going to the Render Scene Dialog and unchecking the lock in the Assign Renderer rollout that links the current renderer with the Material Editor renderer. I just prefer using the icons on the Krakatoa toolbar so I don't have to navigate the Render Scene dialog.

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.