PDA

View Full Version : Particles!

White Stallion
04-26-2002, 05:19 AM
I'm having a horrible time with the particles in combustion 2.0, I can't get it to render on it's own layer. Any Ideas, it renders to ram but not when I render it out as targas or any other format.

Nando
04-26-2002, 05:54 AM
Are you using hardware openGL or Software?
The particles, I think are Opengl specific so you might need to Turn opengl on.
If that doesn't work try committing the particles to disk in TGA format.
also when rendering did you select the top of the hierarchy?
when lower layers are selected Combustion will render what's below that layer only, so make sure your at the top most of the Branch.

White Stallion
04-26-2002, 06:10 AM
Ive done all those things but I'll check the open gl, question though, I'm asuming that it's working for you!
thanks for your help

Nando
04-26-2002, 06:36 AM
Well the particles sometimes work and sometimes Poof they don't. On several systems I've installed C*2 on, most of the crashes and particle problems were do to graphics cards that didn't support hardware OpenGL like matrox cards. I've noticed that the particles work great on New Systems we have built using The VisionTek TI4600 cards.
The Graphics cards have 128mb of memory on them that Combustions particle system can use.
The more particles in the workspace the More Texture ram needed. I turn on Opengl also when doing some 2D comp work only to get faster interaction and playback as Combustion uses the texture ram more efficiently than my system memory. On bigger scenes the ram is Divided up between the two and saves me from having any hardrive thrashing. When I want to do a frame grab I go back to Software , since OpenGL wont let Me Save.

White Stallion
04-30-2002, 03:11 AM
Sweet thanks for all the info man.... big help

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.