View Full Version : Babylon A.D. Director Badmouths his own film

DuttyFoot
09-02-2008, 06:13 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/babylon-director-badmouths-film.html

Full Interview

http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner/2008/08/babylon-ad-mathieu-kassovitz.php

richcz3
09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Well the film is being skewered by critics and individuals alike from Script to the Acting.
So then the captain shoots a volley of torpedoes at his own vessel and doesn't want to go down with the ship. :rolleyes:
So is it 70 minutes or 15 minutes cut from the final release?
Maybe he can get a Directors cut as a part of a partial salvage operation.

BillSpradlin
09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I saw this movie yesterday, it was just for killing some time before dinner.

If I had directed this film, I would have been ashamed of it as well, it had about as much entertainment in it as riding down a waterslide of razorblades into a pool of salt and lemmon juice.

I don't blame him for badmouthing it, probably the worst movie I've seen in many years, and I've seen some horrible ones (hell I've worked on some horrible ones in the past year hah).

cookepuss
09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
A lot bad to say about that movie. It's really a schizoid affair.

- Has action, but it's as boring as hell.
- It has an enemy, but no tension.
- It has a story, but no plot.
- It has characters, but they're all shallow and forgettable.
- It has plot twists, but they're all laughable.
- It has a beginning, but no ending.

By itself, the movie wants to be a lot of things. It wants to be a post-apocalyptic thriller. It wants to be an action movie. It wants to be a commentary on religion VS science. It wants to be so many things that it's none of them out right.

None of the characters are likable. Vin's doing his best with what he has, but you can tell that he's just cashing a paycheck. Michelle Yeoh is meh in a sea of awful acting, which makes her the best of the worst. Everybody else was fodder for the next lackluster action scene.

At best, this is a good made for DVD movie. At worst, it's a failed attempt at merging Children of Men with just about every sci-fi cliche you can think of. Cybernetics? Check. Technologically adept religious zealots? Check. Genetic manipulation? Check. Cage fighting? Check. Explosions and high tech weapons? Check. Anti-government paranoia? Check. Mercernaries? Check.

It sounds like all of that could merge into something cool, but it ends up looking like a mushy mess of ideas.

If Speed Racer was neon lit, candy coated crap pile then Bablyon AD is a 12 month old half eaten pastry. It must have been a tasty idea to somebody at one time. Now it's a crusty, moldy, & rotten abomination.

I can see why the director hated it. I'd probably be begging for death by the end of that shoot.

My first warning to walk out should have been the moment I saw Gérard Depardieu. Yeah. Gérard Depardieu. Why not just infect us with syphallus and be done with it?

The sad thing about this? What few VFX that existed weren't half bad. They just couldn't hold the flic together

Boone
09-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I saw it last week and it gives the impression that they had some good ideas but didnt seem to want to go the last and vital few yards. Its worth a rental at least but it could have been so much more....

DuttyFoot
09-03-2008, 01:40 AM
it had about as much entertainment in it as riding down a waterslide of razorblades into a pool of salt and lemmon juice.

wow, that sounds really painful.

BillSpradlin
09-03-2008, 02:07 AM
wow, that sounds really painful.

Not as painful as watching that steaming pile of a waste of celluloid.

Koogle
09-03-2008, 02:18 AM
" Yeah. Gérard Depardieu. Why not just infect us with syphallus and be done with it?"

lol that's harsh man, critics say the worst things....

"If I had directed this film, I would have been ashamed of it as well, it had about as much entertainment in it as riding down a waterslide of razorblades into a pool of salt and lemmon juice."

:eek: that does sound painful, not entertaining at all ...but then y'know I'm sure there are people out there who would actually find that entertaining, to watch that is.

anyway film sounds like a bit of a wasted effort for something that should have been pretty good. I feel for the director.. and blame Fox -idiots.

whalerider
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
What the hell is your problem with Depardieu?

Maybe the movie was crap, but don't throw dirt at a fine actor, even if he was miscast in Babylon.
If you haven't seen any of the good movies he was in, at least look at his credits and award list - that should tell you something.

My first warning to walk out should have been the moment I saw Gérard Depardieu. Yeah.
Gérard Depardieu. Why not just infect us with syphallus and be done with it?

cookepuss
09-03-2008, 01:45 PM
What the hell is your problem with Depardieu?
Sheesh! You act like he signs your paycheck or something. Unclench.

I am simply one of those people who does not think that he is a good actor. Charismatic? Yes. A good actor? No. Watching Depardieu perform his craft is akin to watching a bear trip balls on tranq. Depardieu stumbles about as the clumsy weight of his hammy performances threaten to undermine whatever scene he's in. He sucked in "Green Card". He sucked in "Man in the Iron Mask." He sucked in "Last Holiday." He sucks here. Maybe he's better in his French flics.

It's just my opinion. You like him so much? Join his fan club and get a tat of him or something. Me? I'd still rather watch a tranquillized bear.

BigJay
09-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I picked up the novel before the movie came out and thought it read like it would be a damn hard movie to make work. It covers a lot of ground and has a lot to say. It was originally a french novel. I wonder if Luc Besson would of translated it to screen better. I'm half way through the book and still to have a single action scene. Well a probe droid blows up a mule but other than that the whole story is very slow. Hell the main action takes place over almost 9 months.

From the reviews I'll avoid it. Maybe when it hits DVD they will add the missing scenes back in and it will make some more sense.

Boone
09-03-2008, 07:44 PM
it had about as much entertainment in it as riding down a waterslide of razorblades into a pool of salt and lemmon juice.

As an action movie it did deliver the goods. If you're into Diesel's Riddick Movies(Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick) and that game "GTA4" then chances are this is right up your street. However, if your idea of entertainment is pondering the question "OH mamaaa! Why did Mr Darcy not turn up for tea today?" then obviously this film falls flat on its face.

Actually I rather enjoyed the viewing I went to as they didnt have that ****ing annoying BBC Radio One advert that goes on forever...:banghead:

...actually, its so disturbing...I'm going to show it to you now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtYuE9xqO7U

cookepuss
09-03-2008, 07:49 PM
As an action movie it did deliver the goods.
Sorta. I mean, a movie can be like a meal. Have you ever had a meal that's edible, but somehow not satisfying? That's what the action is like here. With all of the good action movies this summer, this one lacked that certain energy and pop that could've made it special.

ingramworks
09-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I really do feel for the director and Diesel, I certainly know what it's like to have something your actually proud of be turned into a pile after the money people start messing, but such is life and all we can do is complain in the end and hope the next gig goes better.

I thought the film, for the most part looked great and the effects, in general, were pulled of well. The action scenes I thought worked, I could be picky here and there but then that's true of every film I see. The sad moments for me were when I was sitting there watching the story never truly get a footing then to only stumble completely once they arrived in New York. It had "Fox Executive" fingerprints all over it, even the acting felt as if they knew, "Hey, this is were things get only worst, no bother trying anymore." Of course, that could just be because of lack luster editing choices.

It's really sad, it's obvious a lot of people busted their asses to do this film, but in the end they were all let down including the audience.

yann22
09-06-2008, 01:41 PM
I have no interest in getting involved in a fight, so I'll be constructive and just say that Depardieu is a great actor and here's proof:

Camille Claudel
Danton
The Last Metro
Cyrano de Bergerac
Jean de Florette
The Woman Next Door
1900 (Novecento)
Going Places (Les Valseuses)

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2008, 01:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.