PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph Asia 2008 in Singapore

lifeofillusion
09-02-2008, 03:54 PM
It may be a bit early to talk about this, since just last month Siggraph US happened and people are still enjoying the memories of it...

just curious...any Student Volunteers here who are on for Siggraph Asia 2008 in Singapore?

sivasketch
09-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi Anirudh,

Me and vinay also got the opportunity to work as a student volunteer at siggraph asia 2008.

Cheers
Siva

lifeofillusion
09-07-2008, 06:18 PM
oh tats fantastic..it will be great catching up with fellow AM'ers...

i had messaged u on orkut also...u dont check orkut nowdays ?

sivasketch
09-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi Anirudh, I do check scraps, i might have accidentally missed your message.

simpo
09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
May i know when is Siggraph asia? I am from Singapore.

Thanks.

JeremyK
09-09-2008, 10:23 PM
December 10th!

simpo
09-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the date info !!

lifeofillusion
09-11-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.siggraph.org/asia2008/

JCork
09-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Hey guys,

I will also be traveling to Singapore to be a student volunteer! I am so excited and cannot wait for it. I have never been that far away from the states, so I'm psyched! Anyone have previous experience in Singapore? What to do or not to do there?

I look forward to meeting you all there!

-Josh

raylistic
09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey guys,

I will also be traveling to Singapore to be a student volunteer! I am so excited and cannot wait for it. I have never been that far away from the states, so I'm psyched! Anyone have previous experience in Singapore? What to do or not to do there?

I look forward to meeting you all there!

-Josh

Hi Josh, Singapore is a fine country, you will be amazed when you arrived. I am not boasting but we are clean, lots of good food and friendly people. Most of us speaks english, so if you get lost, just ask around. But being a fine country, we are also known for strict laws. Chewing Gums is still banned in singapore, cigarettes are way expensive here. No point bringing in boxes of cigarettes as we tax as them alot as well. Singapore has a diverse culture, we are mainly dominated by 4 races: chinese, malays, indians and eurasians. Therefore, you can find a lot of difference type of cusines here, experience different culture heritage. Hmm, what else do you wish to know? Yes, we have stores like those in US if you need Starbucks or Spinelli. =p If you need to know more, do let me know or drop me a message/email.

-Ray

JCork
09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Ray,

Thank you so much for the information. It sounds like a wonderful country. I have asked the chair in my school and he said it was an amazing country! I also have a co-worker who lived there for 8 weeks and just loved it, so from what I hear, I should be really excited, which I am!

I have heard of the strict laws. I don't smoke, do drugs, chew gum or plan to bring any explicit material into the country, so I think I'm set on that front. Haha!

One things I have heard mixed feelings on are the beaches. Some people say they are really nice and others say the ports are ruined by the heavy traffic of ships coming in and out. I guess I would believe you first considering you live there. What are your thoughts on that? Should I pack my swim trunks? Haha!

Also, are you planning on going to SIGGRAPH in December?

-Josh

raylistic
09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Bring your swimwear along mate, if you want to i can bring you to the beaches. Yes, I am going and I am helping in the post party! Make sure you go for the party! I am blocking out a whole week of leave for that week so should be fun! Drop me a msg here or an email. Hope to hear from you!

Ray,

Thank you so much for the information. It sounds like a wonderful country. I have asked the chair in my school and he said it was an amazing country! I also have a co-worker who lived there for 8 weeks and just loved it, so from what I hear, I should be really excited, which I am!

I have heard of the strict laws. I don't smoke, do drugs, chew gum or plan to bring any explicit material into the country, so I think I'm set on that front. Haha!

One things I have heard mixed feelings on are the beaches. Some people say they are really nice and others say the ports are ruined by the heavy traffic of ships coming in and out. I guess I would believe you first considering you live there. What are your thoughts on that? Should I pack my swim trunks? Haha!

Also, are you planning on going to SIGGRAPH in December?

-Josh

JCork
09-22-2008, 05:04 PM
I will do just that then! I just wasn't sure because of all the misleading information. Thanks!

Great to hear that you are helping out with t the post party. That will be a nice week for you! I am going to be dropping you an e-mail soon about some stuff. I definietely want to take you up on your offer to bring me to the beaches! That would be easier than me getting lost in a foriegn country! Haha!

Bring your swimwear along mate, if you want to i can bring you to the beaches. Yes, I am going and I am helping in the post party! Make sure you go for the party! I am blocking out a whole week of leave for that week so should be fun! Drop me a msg here or an email. Hope to hear from you!

MasterZap
09-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Seems I'll be doing this very 1st SIGGRAPH Asia. I'll be doing an "extended version" of the same masterclass I taught at the US SIGGRAPH waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in... august. :)

/Z

JCork
09-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Seems I'll be doing this very 1st SIGGRAPH Asia. I'll be doing an "extended version" of the same masterclass I taught at the US SIGGRAPH waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in... august. :)

/Z

Good luck with teaching the class. I was at SIGGRAPH in August and it was amazing! I had a really great time. That was my first year ever attending. I'm glad I'll be able to be a part of the first ever SIGGRAPH Asia!

P.S. Master Zep, your avatar is almost causing me a stroke! Haha!

raylistic
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
So jcork, are you studying or holding a job?

JCork
09-25-2008, 05:42 PM
You can call me Josh. Haha! I am a student right now, studying 3D animation and just about to finally get into that realm. I have been doing a lot of 2D for the past year to get used to graphic design, but now the program will be taking me into 3D! I'm so excited!

Are you a student or professional, or both? Haha!

By the way, did you get my e-mail?

raylistic
09-25-2008, 11:13 PM
nope i did not. I have dropped you a message regarding my email address.

lifeofillusion
10-12-2008, 11:11 AM
wow...looks like the siggraph asia crowd is slowly but steadily building up...hey jcork and raylistic..great to hear you guys are also SV's...i am from india and going to my first ever Siggraph as an SV....cant wait to get it started....

any classfied news floating as to whatall fun can SV's expect ? ;-)

i plan 2 stay in singapore till christmas...i heard the entire city just lights up during christmas time...

what else can i expect from singapore...its my first ever visit !

Mydrako
10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Seems like it will be a great first siggraph asia. Just nice that i finish my study in canada and I will be back in singapore. Wonder if I should go though. Broke after going to Siggraph in LA in august :P Will there be any user group gathering or what not?

PaulHellard
10-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Hey there,

I've begun the SIGGRAPH Asia Diary on CGSociety (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4737), to give the international audience a introduction to the city/country/island staging the conference. If you can, come over early and have a look around.

Perhaps there are some just considering the visit, looking at the pros and cons. As suggested in the first post, there are many reasons to make the journey and I hope to see many of you there.

lifeofillusion
10-17-2008, 06:42 AM
hey paul, thanks for starting the diary...i am going in as a Student Volunteer. Its my first ever Siggraph and that too being a volunteer. I am quite ecstatic about the whole thing and seeing the start of the diary, i am even more now. The fun has begun !!!

I am not really coming early, but staying back a lot more...to savour the Singapore and to enjoy the hangover of Siggraph Asia !! :D

parka81
10-20-2008, 10:55 AM
In my country, alright!

Artsboy
10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Hello guys
I am FADi A digital Artist and student
I living in saudi arabia, I want to come to siggraph asia this year..

I know it will cost me a lot.. But its deserve..

but I wich if The singaporean guys can help me to find near and low cost hotel from the conference ..

you know at the end I am just student.. :shrug:

thanks

kashifmughal
10-21-2008, 09:27 AM
this is better way to share with all members and giving stuff to all.

sivasketch
10-22-2008, 02:58 AM
Hi Arts Boy , below are the list of low - cost hostels near to the confrence area, hope this helps. click this link to get more infor. I am a SV at the confrence :).

Low-Cost Hostels
Fragrance Backpackers Hostel (http://www.fragrancebackpackers.com.sg/)
63 Dunlop Street, Singapore 209391
Tel: +65.6295.6888
Fax: +65.6295.0200
enquiries (at) fragrancebackpackers.com.sg
Rates: S$22 - S$25 per bed/night

Fragrance Hostel is located in one of the busiest districts in Singapore and just a 10-15 minute bus ride away from Suntec Singapore International Convention and Exhibition Centre. Fragrance Hostel offers the cheapest rates in that area of Singapore.

Hangout @ Mt Emily (http://www.hangouthotels.com/english/main.html)
10A Upper Wilkie Road, Singapore 228119
Tel: +65.6438.5588
Fax: +65.6339.6008
enquiries (at) hangouthotels.com
Rates: S$40 - S$50 per night

Hangout @ Mt Emily is conveniently located in the heart of Singapore but comfortably away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The lush tropical foliage in nearby Mt Emily Park provides tranquil respite for the weary adventurer. The travel distance from Hangout @ Mt Emily to Suntec Singapore International Convention and Exhibition Centre is no more than 20 minutes by bus.

Summer Tavern - Hostel (http://www.summertavern.com/)
31 Carpenter Street, Singapore 059910
Tel: +65.6535.6601
Fax: 65.6535.6602
jass (at) summertavern.com
Rates: S$40 - S$50 per night

Summer Tavern is situated in the heart of the city. The Civic District, museums and art galleries, Singapore's Financial District, the waterfront, Chinatown, and other tourist attactions are all within walking distance. Suntec Singapore International Convention and Exhibition Centreis just a 10-minute bus ride.

sivasketch
10-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Hello Paul thanks for starting the dairy , its a great this and this is the right time to start.
so how many of you have booked your tickets and on which date you are arriving and on which date you want to leave singapore. I have booked tickets, i will arrive in the early hours on 8 th december and dear friends remember its christmas and holidays month so there will be competition for tickets and prices may go up. so its better to book tickets in advance.

cheers
Siva

sivasketch
10-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Hi Raymond, paul, raylistic,Artsboy,kashifmughal. nice to meet you guys here. thank you very much Anirudh for starting this thread in cgsociety. we all will be meeting at siggraph. great.

cheers
Siva

lifeofillusion
10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
hey siva, thanks for the info on accomodation, it will be very helpful for those looking for some decent accomodation at a good price..and considering that many of us are students, it makes all the more sense.

yes it will be great to know who all are coming for sure and at what dates..

as for me i will be reaching Singapore on 8th in the morning around 9 or so...going back i have still not decided, i want to stay a couple of days to look around the very beautiful Singapore...lets see how it pans out...

just wanted to share some weather info..i have been told weather will be quite sunny and a bit humid, and rains are expected as its the rainy season out there...overall it will be quite pleasant...

im sure we will all catch up during siggraph(hopefully), buts let try to fix something up even outside the conference..whatsay guys...

all work and no play, will make all of us dull... :-D

sivasketch
10-23-2008, 02:45 AM
Hi Anirudh,
Meeting up outside will be definetly a lot of fun. I am chooooooo muchhhh exited and waiting for DEC 7 th :)

cheers
Siva

MasterZap
10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Tell me a bit about Singaporean food. Anywhere near other Asian cuisine? I'm a big fan of both Thai and Chinese food, is it anywhere near that quadrant of taste?

/Z

raylistic
10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
YES masterzap! We have lots of thai and asian cuisines. Make sure you try out some chinese restaurants! If you want to, i can recommend some restaurants or a meal together!

kyhalbu
10-23-2008, 05:32 PM
wow!
even.. I am planning to visit singapore for Siggraph.
I am confused about the membership thing... how much should we pay to particapate? What type of registration should we go?

randyvaliente
10-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Cool! I am also planning to attend SIGRAPH :) and would love to meet you guys from cg talk. I'm from the Philippines, by the way, and it's also my first time to visit Singapore.

www.rvaliente.co.cc (http://www.rvaliente.co.cc)

metalrahul
10-24-2008, 02:25 AM
I am also looking forward to this event and also I think its a great opportunity to make some new friends! :beer:

PaulHellard
10-24-2008, 03:38 AM
While being very excited about the SIGGRAPH conference, I gotta say, wow, yes, I am very much also looking forward to the great range of foods available in Singapore.

I love that city!

sivasketch
10-24-2008, 03:53 AM
Hi kyhalbu

Nice to hear from you that your are intrested in attending Siggraph Asia 2008.

THis is the link for official Siggraph Asia 2008 and you will get all the information from it. you can register from this website.

http://www.siggraph.org/asia2008/attendees/registration/

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Siva

MasterZap
10-24-2008, 08:25 AM
In the US siggraph's there is actually kind of a tradition with a CGTalk Dinner.... kind of an unofficial thing where some intrepid person books space on some restaurant and people just randomly show up at this date/time/location.

In L.A. this event was fun, 100+ people, loud and very crowded (small corner of restaurant for our use).

The poor (almost) lone waitress performed admirably, and I think her tip was sizeable. ;)

Only problem really was that it was nigh impossible to talk due to sound level of 100+ people in the small region.

Maybe someone could take the reigns of a similar event for Sig Asia? (DON'T look at me, I'm just the messenger ;) )

Here's the tread from the LA event (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=232&t=651550) w. some pictures.

/Z

sivasketch
10-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi zap

Your idea is great, I think some one from singapore can lead this event and definetly we will have lots of fun.

THanks

Cheers
Siva

raylistic
10-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, i dont mind organising. What kind of place do you guys prefer? And whether do you guys want to drink or anything? Those who wish to meet up, please sign up here.

kyhalbu
10-24-2008, 02:34 PM
hey! thanks mr sivaroyal. I went through that before also. I am just confused to choose the right 1. There are 9 types of plans. :(

Anyways, Mr. raylistic... I am in... I am coming with a friend. :)

So, u me and my friend.... 3's for sure. :)

anyone??

:)

lifeofillusion
10-24-2008, 07:16 PM
awesome...with each new post entry my excitement is increasing....masterzap here is what i think of CGTalk dinner -

Singapore - fabulous
Singapore + Siggraph - ultra fabulous
Singapore + Siggraph + meeting cgtalk friends - what more can i ask...

so yes its a fantastic plan...count me in...so total 4 i guess...i think siva whom i already know before will also be keen to attend the cgtalk dinner....whatsay siva ?

raylistic, thanks a lot buddy for the initiative, since so far only u seem to be from singapore, it will be immense help in organisning the cgtalk dinner since you from singapore itself..as for the drinks preference or not..oh i forgot to add one thing...

Singapore + Siggraph + meeting cgtalk friends + beer - life just cant get better :D

personally speaking drinks will be a great idea but if people are ok otherwise also...im cool with it..whatever is the consenses...as long as we all are there im sure we shall have a blast....also a place where u get different types of cuisine will be great and particularly both vegetarian and non-vegetarian...infact cuisine is not much of an issue as long as both vegetarian and non-vegetarian are available...what say all ?

also fixing the exact date and time well in advance would be good so that we all can plan our singapore trip accordingly...

kyhalbu - let me try to clear the different types...basically there are just 3 different plans-

Full Conference access - for all the days : you can access all the events
Full Conference one day - you can access all the events but just for one day
Basic Conference - the number of events you can access will be limited...

there are around 17 events in totality during the 4 days(10-13) of the conference...so Full Conference access will allow you to access all the 17 events for all the 4 days.

Full conference for one day will allow you all the 17 events but just for any one day in between 10-13.

Basic Conference - will allow access to some events out of 17 over the 4 days of the conference.

For a complete schedule...check out the newly released Advance Program Schedule (http://www.siggraph.org/asia2008/attendees/SA08_AdvanceProgram.pdf)...this can be very useful for anyone who is planning to attend Siggraph !

let me know if u have any more queries...

Cheers,
lifeofillusion aka Anirudh

sivasketch
10-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi Anirudh and raylistic

Yes Anirud Bhai :) You can count me also, Me my self and Anirudh are Student Volunteers at Siggraph Confrence. I dont have any choice for place or drinks and i will accept :) what ever you guys choose. and raylistic you got fantastic works in your blog. I like you light house.
Thanks for taking the responsibility for this un official meet up.

Cheers
Siva

sivasketch
10-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Anirudh thanks for the SA08_AdvanceProgram.pdf link , Its given me a clear picture of the events and other info.

CHeers
Siva

JeremyK
10-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Guys, schedule permitting, I would love to join your for a CGTalk dinner / meet up.

I am also doing a little bit of volunteering with SIGGRAPH so assuming there aren't any conflicts I'll be there.

Also, I'm planning on staying in Singapore for at least an extra week after the conference. What is there to do? It's pretty warm that time of year, no?

kyhalbu
10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
wow!
Thank you so much Anirudh....
I am so much clear now.

:) I am thinking about Renderman course. only 25 seats???
Will I be able to collect the registration badge?? hehe....

I am soo much excited now... :)

see ya guys...

raylistic
10-25-2008, 01:56 AM
Ok, i am still thinking about whether we should make it a drinking event since I think we should give a chance to the younger audience? Haha. Currently from what i know, there should be a post siggraph party, which i do not know when. So maybe we should put ours tentatively on 14 Dec, 7pm? Venue is not confirm yet. Food wise, can be quite sensitive, due to different religion values. Not to worry, Singapore have quite a number of halal food restaurant as well. So this will really means that it might not be a chinese food restaurant we are looking at.

-hey kyhalbu, I am also thinking of joining the renderman course. I wonder how to be part of the 25 seater? haha, i hope it do not end up of us having to queue early.

Regards,
ray

randyvaliente
10-25-2008, 03:36 AM
Wohoo!!
I'm pretty excited too. count me in :)

www.randyvaliente.deviantart.com
www.rvaliente.co.cc

lifeofillusion
10-25-2008, 09:38 AM
14 dec is sunday...7 pm sounds good to me...also if possible some place easy to find and well connected by public transport will be prefarable..its my first trip to s'pore and the last thing i want is to get lost ! :-P

btw how many of us are SV(Student Volunteers)..so far 3 of us ?

jeremyk, siva and myself...

jeremyk, yes it will be a bit warm in dec, though u can expect some rainfall too...i have not been to s'pre b4 so even im as clueless and excited as u r ...but what i have heard its a beautiful country with tons of things to do and look around...

do a google abt it and i am sure u wont know where your extra week went by...:beer:

raylistic
10-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Do not worry, i will find some good place in the city. Usually you can get directions easily at the train station. I will provide the details like a map and how to get there when it is been confirm. I will probably ask for a menu print out as well, so we will know what kind of food they offer and the price range.

I might leaving it late though, so please try to view this thread as often as possible. Hopefully i can confirm the venue by the last week of november.
Most probably i can meet up earlier at the train station or somewhere near by, and head towards the restaurant.

Some rules i copied from bonedaddy regarding this meet up:

Show up earlier if you want your food faster.

Try not to specially order anything. The wait staff are going to have a hell of a time dealing with all of us, and we should meet them halfway. Please DO NOT BRING YOUR OWN FOOD AND DRINK. Restaurants in singapore hates it and you might be send out, which i can't save you.

Please bring cash. Splitting up the bill across a bunch of credit cards is going to be a nightmare. This is very true, the last thing we want is a traffic jam at the cashier and it will take at least half an hour to get the bill sorted if non-peak. Imagine the restaurant is very packed!

Although it is not the asian culture or singapore culture to give tips, I would encourage you to tip well. These poor waiter and waitress do not earn alot. I been one myself before, so I know! Giving them tip will make their day! 10% of the bill is really good compared to nothing!
Sorry bonedaddy, I copied this from your post in http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=232&t=651550&page=4&pp=15 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=232&t=651550&page=4&pp=15)

Hope you do not mind. =D

Regards,
Ray

lifeofillusion
10-25-2008, 02:57 PM
hi raylistic...well whatever u said makes total sense...in these fun gatherings co-operation can make all the difference..i am not quite sure what u mean by "show early to get your food faster"...u mean show up in non-peak hours...well i guess that would depend how many of us are coming for...if its say around 8-10 it shouldnt be a prob...if its like 20-30 then we may need to organise the thing accordingly...anyway you are the guy from singapore...i am sure u will organise it effectively...

and your idea of sharing the menu...thumbs up man...

cant wait 2 get the siggraph thing started man...

by the way..whats your real name raylistic ? :)

sivasketch
10-29-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi Friends

THere is a Breaking News from Siggraph Asia 2008 :cool:

Breaking News: 2nd Featured Speaker Revealed
Rob Cook, Vice President for Advanced Technology from Pixar Animation Studios will be the 2nd featured speaker at SIGGRAPH Asia. His talk entitled "Behind the Scenes at Pixar" will take you behind the scenes at Pixar Animation Studios for a look at how its 3D computer graphics films are made.

Here is the link http://www.siggraph.org/asia2008/attendees/featured/index.php

Hey guy Lets rock this thread. we can have discussions or we can share some information about the confrence etc.

Cheers
Siva

PaulHellard
10-29-2008, 04:14 AM
Excellent,

Siva, thats exactly what I'd love you all to do here. Mix it up. I'm looking forward to meeting you all over there too. I might be busily running around but don't hesitate to come up and say gidday!

Keep watching the diary as it comes up to the big week. Lots to tell.

lifeofillusion
10-29-2008, 06:17 AM
awesome...the schedule at siggraph asia is looking interesting with each passing day...

hey paul will be great to catch up with in a non-cgtalk online forum and in offline in person !

raylistic
10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
paul, will u be joining for the meetup?

lifeofillusion
11-01-2008, 06:55 AM
any updates on the SV program ? is it that only i am not getting any updates or there has been no updates as such ?

raylistic
11-01-2008, 09:05 AM
what update are you expecting? I think they already did tell you the dates and stuff. If not please contact the person in charge.

lifeofillusion
11-01-2008, 10:55 AM
yea i am aware of the dates and etc...updates as in whats in store for SV's, the schedule for us and so on...or aha may be i am getting too impatient.... ;)

mahir
11-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Anirudh! Right now we're in the middle of working on the schedule for the SVs and will be updating you once we get it finalized. For SVs provided housing during the conference we will be providing some information on your room arrangements soon. I understand your eagerness and ask that you hang in there and if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

lifeofillusion
11-02-2008, 05:19 PM
hi ahmad...yeah i guess my eagerness and excitement got the better of me...cant wait to get this thing started...its November already....its next month !!! :-)

3mm
11-06-2008, 04:31 PM
pretty amazing events

me and some of my friends from iran will attend to conference if every thing will be ok....

the cgtalk meet up are so cool :lightbulb

want some new asian foods............:cool:

supportbuyer
11-07-2008, 01:17 AM
hi guys, im in singapore too, i wanna to join this but i dont know if i can just come in or have to register ?

pkorion8
11-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Hi Guys,
That will be a great event, it will be great to see artists/designers coming from all around.
By the way, i am Faisal, currently working in Singapore as Broadcast/Special effects artist and will be glad to see you all.

only time will tell ...........>>
www.coroflot.com/pkorion8
megamars.deviantart.com

lifeofillusion
11-07-2008, 10:21 AM
hey 3mm and faisal..nice 2 know that many diverse people will be at siggraph, looking forward to meeting u all...and faisal since u in singapore since sometime, you can show us sometime around in singapore...what say...

hey raylistic...people are building up here and am sure each one of us would be interested 2 attend the cg-meetup after hours of siggraph....to make sure its easy for u 2 organise ...how about we mail you with our confirmations...?

the countdown has begun...just a month to go...!

raylistic
11-07-2008, 05:02 PM
actually those who are going can commit themselves here, which unless you cant, then you can email me at the last minute.

My email is raylistic87@gmail.com.

Right now, I am looking for a suitable place for us to gather/meet up. I decided to go against a drinking place as there are some people who are underage and might be interested to join us, and as well as if those people get drunk, i have no idea how to really solve the problem than to call the police. Haha. So to reduce complications, the meetup place will not be a drinking place, but there is a chance they offer beer/wine as well.

sivasketch
11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey raylistic

Yes i agree with you. we all want is a cool meet up. Try to get some place where there is less crowd.

CHeers
Siva

lifeofillusion
11-08-2008, 02:04 PM
sounds good raylistic....beer/wine also looks decent....go for it...

Chaoster
11-08-2008, 03:08 PM
just wanna inform all singaporeans, if you are still a student and would like to go for siggraph, you can actually use the PSEA scheme implemented by the government not long ago. It contains quite a fair bit of money and you can use them to pay for the event. =) cheers

pkorion8
11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
lifeofillusion,
Sure, no problemo.It will be great to know/discuss new trends/aesthetics and vision of each other, though in a chill out session.
My email: pkorion8@hotmail.com ( +msn)
mobile : +65 9337 0999
Guys, lets take the most out of this opportunity.

raylistic : if you need any help regarding arrangement of the meet up, just give me a buzz.

randyvaliente
11-09-2008, 02:53 AM
would it be possible if there is a sort of a greeting or 'getting to know' on the siggraph itself before our 'big night' on sunday night? i mean if somebody out here that has a booth or space on the event, we could actually say "hey fellow, i'm here! see you tonight! hehehe"
just a suggestion :D

lifeofillusion
11-09-2008, 05:32 AM
hey randyvaliente...i see what you mean and sounds nice...but i guess the very reason for this meetup is kinda to let us know each other in a more informal/casual setting....haha...

i am a student volunteer...so i am sure i will bump into many of you here...however we can also get to know each other online as well...u can catch me on -

gtalk - freakbaba@gmail.com
msn - freakbaba@hotmail.com

sivasketch
11-09-2008, 06:08 AM
Hey guys

you can catch me also online

royalsivakumar@yahoo.com

kasettysivakumar@gmail.com

cheers
Siva

raylistic
11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
pkorion8: thanks. i will let you know. Definitely would be glad to have some help.

Right now, i am looking around for restaurants. Will let you guys know the update in 2 weeks time.

sivasketch
11-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi friends , I got few questions. If some one can help me in answering my questions it will be great .

1. As a studnt volunteer, we will be getting pass almost equavalent to full confrence pass. am I right ?

2. Can we also attend master classes with this pass ?

3. Can we choose our time of work and time for attending our fav events ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Siva

simoncheng
11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
i may be going.

hopefully it will be great as the rest of siggraph.

lifeofillusion
11-10-2008, 05:26 AM
Hi friends , I got few questions. If some one can help me in answering my questions it will be great .

1. As a studnt volunteer, we will be getting pass almost equavalent to full confrence pass. am I right ?

2. Can we also attend master classes with this pass ?

3. Can we choose our time of work and time for attending our fav events ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Siva

1. yes you are right, full conference pass, no one can stop you from going anywhere. :-)

2. yes you can, provided you are not busy with the volunteer program. there is a possibility times can overlap.

3. not really. as far as i know volunteer program happens in shift. so u may be able to choose your shift, if at all. i am sure you will not have difficulty in attending your fav events, as the entire siggraph is one hell of a fav event and i am sure you will have some real good fun !

JeremyK
11-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Autodesk allows SIGGRAPH SV's into the master classes. I believe you still have to purchase a ticket through ticketweb or on site. A full conference pass (which is what the SV pass is) will NOT get you in for sure - you have to buy a seperate ticket. Maybe they are treating the SV's differently though this year.

lifeofillusion
11-11-2008, 04:39 AM
master class is the educators programme right ? or is it something different ?

if its educators programme....then SV's can access it...just got it confirmed.... :)

JeremyK
11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Where do you see it listed as part of the educators program?

I think you might be confused. ;)

lifeofillusion
11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
jeremyk...my post is still a question....i never said its under the educators programme...

if u know whats the master class ...why not put an end to the mystery...

mabelneo
11-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Hi Guys,

Autodesk is holding masterclasses which is not part of the Educators Programme. If you want to attend the master classes, you will have to register separately.

m

lifeofillusion
11-18-2008, 08:55 AM
thanks mabelneo...finally the ambiguity is resolved...we were at world's end trying to come to a definite answer whether its part of the educator's programme or not...

the schedule is yet to be announced - http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/masterclass/event2/2008_siggraph_asia_masterclasses/

around 3 weeks more to go guys....hurray !

cya all !

p.s. - any updates on the meet up ?

PaulHellard
11-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi there,

I just posted an interview I had with the Keynote featured Speaker Don Greenberg in the CGSociety's SIGG Asia Diary. What an amazing man! Click through and have a look.

http://features.cgsociety.org/stories/2008_11/upload/green_1.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/siggraphasia2008/index.php#s4794)

3mm
11-22-2008, 09:50 PM
thanks mabelneo...finally the ambiguity is resolved...we were at world's end trying to come to a definite answer whether its part of the educator's programme or not...

the schedule is yet to be announced - http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/masterclass/event2/2008_siggraph_asia_masterclasses/

around 3 weeks more to go guys....hurray !

cya all !

p.s. - any updates on the meet up ?

i wonder any updates on the meet up too

raylistic
11-23-2008, 12:17 AM
working on it guys. I am discussing the final details with a few restaurants. Trying to get the menu by next week. Sorry for the lack of updates. I was in hospital, having a knee operation.
No worries, I'm fine. =) See you guys soon!

3mm
11-23-2008, 11:46 AM
working on it guys. I am discussing the final details with a few restaurants. Trying to get the menu by next week. Sorry for the lack of updates. I was in hospital, having a knee operation.
No worries, I'm fine. =) See you guys soon!

good news man,hope to see all of you soon

Keiphus
11-24-2008, 05:56 PM
edit, sorry..

JeremyK
11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I know there are a few SV's in this thread so I'm going to post this here for you...

This is information on how to access the Student Volunteer Forums.

Those of you who want to get a bit ahead of the game (not sure if you have been told to do this already, if so I apologize) - head over to http://myacm.org/ and click "Create a Web Account now." Register with the same email address that you receive the SV emails from. This is important, as the S3 memberships are tied to your status as SV's. If you do not use the correct email, it will not work.

Once you created and confirmed your ACM Web Account, you can login to the S3 system and get your free CGSociety membership + access to the Student Volunteer Forums.

Login to your CGTalk account, and go here: http://www.cgsociety.org/siggraph/s3/ (http://www.cgtalk.com/siggraph/s3/)

Where it says "S3 Username" and "S3 Password" , enter your ACM Web Account information that you created and confirmed in the previous step. This will "link" your ACM account with the CGTalk account and give you access.

Now when you go to the main CGTalk forum home page, you should see a section for SIGGRAPH / S3 / Student Volunteers.

PM me if you guys have any questions. :)

weikeong
11-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Wei Keong with the SV committee at Siggraph Asia 2008, it's great to see you here!

To add on to Jeremy's explanation, there is a step-by-step walkthrough here (http://docs.google.com/Present?docid=dhqzt58n_33d293k7gw) which was sent to SV for Siggraph in LA this year. It's extremely helpful so I thought why not post it here.

A little recap:
1) For all SV, there will be a SV Orientation in our SV office (Room 202, Suntec City Convention Centre) at 5pm on 9 December.

2) Our Siggraph Asia forum will be 'live' pretty soon!

3) So are all the SV shifts, coming soon!

Send your questions to sv_asia2008@siggraph.org (http://forums.cgsociety.org/sv_asia2008@siggraph.org) and we'll try our best to answer them. Definitely will post more news here!

raylistic
11-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Some updates of the meet up. Currently I found one good place for the meet up. It is not easy to get place as I want to make sure I can get a place that I can get asian food and keeping the price low at the same time.

Right now, this is the current restaurant i have in mind.

Cafe Vic - Carlton Hotel Singapore (a 4 star hotel)
http://www.carlton.com.sg/dining_cafe.htm

Food
It offers ala carte (menu) food as well as buffet.
They do serve beer and wine for those interested. ;)

On the menu, they have some variety of food, from western to asian food.
Asian food like mee goreng( malay style fried noodle), Nasi Goreng( malay style friend rice),
laksa( chinese style curry noodles).

Price
Each food item cost around $15 Singapore Dollars, after tax. (please use the currency converter as I cant provide the rates).
Well, if you get a soft drink which is 7 dollars or so, you end up paying less than 30 bucks for the whole meal.

But if you want to try a wide variety of food, i suggest the buffet. The buffet cost more, 45 Dollars, free flow of food. They have appetizers like salads all the way to desert and ice cream. 45 Dollars is not included tax. After tax will be less than 60 dollars.

Do let me know what you guys feel about the PRICE RANGE. This is one of the cheaper restaurant around and they usually are not fully packed on sunday evenings.
I will have to make reservations 3 days ahead of the meet up, so we still got some time.
Those interested parties do let me know.

This restaurant is located near the same train station (city hall train station) as suntec city. It is about 10 mins walk from suntec city.(place where siggraph is held.)

Google Map link (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=3+Temasek+Boulevard,+Singapore,+Singapore+03,+Singapore+%28Suntec+City%29&daddr=76+Bras+Basah+Road,+Singapore,+189558,+Singapore+%28Carlton+Hotel+%28Singapore%29+Pte+Ltd%29&hl=en&geocode=Cf5Z5_umL5JGFUTDEwAd8cEwBiFmlIRcyXFaNw%3BFSvGEwAd0KkwBiHxdfePs7OwoQ&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=1.294174,103.855584&sspn=0.015918,0.027895&ie=UTF8&ll=1.297595,103.856227&spn=0.007959,0.013947&z=17)(left click)

I am still looking at a few restaurants around suntec city. So there might be other options in the coming days or week.

Hope to hear from you soon guys. Time to be confirm at a later date, most probably the week before siggraph!

freakbaba
11-25-2008, 07:19 AM
thanks jeremy, wei for the info...i was pleasantly surprised to know that even CGSociety membership comes along with SV...cool! i guess people are yet to link their accounts as the SV's forums are virtually empty in all its sub-categories ! lets share as much info we can here before we finally meet in person !

raylistic - thanks for the info...regarding the PRICE RANGE, i am not sure but as per Indian standards relatively it seems to be on the higher side...consider the 17% tax on 45, so total comes to around- s$52. and i assume drinks like wine/beer will be on top of that. so overall it can turn out to be a expensive affair and also the place "Cafe Vic" seems to be a bit formal looking environment.

having said that i am keen to meet you guys more than food per se, so if all are ok with this, im cool....also i understand the same hotel has other dining options like "Pool Bar", "Lobby Lounge"...these looks like a chilled out place at least from the photos on the site...you know where we can roam around freely and not really be restricted to a table or something like that, and since many of us here are meeting for the first time, the more we can roam around, talk to different people...the more fun it will be...what do you feel ? i am not sure about the rates....will it be possible for you to find the rates for "Pool Bar" and "Lobby Lounge" also ?

however, i did ask a few friends staying in singapore...they suggested places like Clark Quay/East Coast Park, etc where in less than or similar to above mentioned rates we can have a choice of different foods spreads inclusive of alcohol. i cannot comment on the authenticity of info as this is my first trip to Singapore.

What about some resto-bars or something like that...more of a chilled out place for us CG aficionados..what say ?

thanks!

cheers,
Anirudh
aka freakbaba

raylistic
11-25-2008, 09:40 AM
thanks jeremy, wei for the info...i was pleasantly surprised to know that even CGSociety membership comes along with SV...cool! i guess people are yet to link their accounts as the SV's forums are virtually empty in all its sub-categories ! lets share as much info we can here before we finally meet in person !

raylistic - thanks for the info...regarding the PRICE RANGE, i am not sure but as per Indian standards relatively it seems to be on the higher side...consider the 17% tax on 45, so total comes to around- s$52. and i assume drinks like wine/beer will be on top of that. so overall it can turn out to be a expensive affair and also the place "Cafe Vic" seems to be a bit formal looking environment.

having said that i am keen to meet you guys more than food per se, so if all are ok with this, im cool....also i understand the same hotel has other dining options like "Pool Bar", "Lobby Lounge"...these looks like a chilled out place at least from the photos on the site...you know where we can roam around freely and not really be restricted to a table or something like that, and since many of us here are meeting for the first time, the more we can roam around, talk to different people...the more fun it will be...what do you feel ? i am not sure about the rates....will it be possible for you to find the rates for "Pool Bar" and "Lobby Lounge" also ?

however, i did ask a few friends staying in singapore...they suggested places like Clark Quay/East Coast Park, etc where in less than or similar to above mentioned rates we can have a choice of different foods spreads inclusive of alcohol. i cannot comment on the authenticity of info as this is my first trip to Singapore.

What about some resto-bars or something like that...more of a chilled out place for us CG aficionados..what say ?

thanks!

cheers,
Anirudh
aka freakbaba

Hi freakbaba, thanks for the reply. Now at least what is on your mind.

First of all, pool bar is close on the evening.
Secondly, the price for lobby lounge is same if not more expensive.
Thirdly, this is one of the cheapest place near suntec city.

The first few requirements when i looked for a place is firstly the food they offered, the environment (like air-con, quiet or noisy), price and location.

regarding places you have mentioned like Clark Quay/East Coast Park,they are quite a distance away from suntec city mall especially east coast park. I assume most of you stay near suntec city mall. Travelling from suntec city will take at least 20 mins walk. Transport to east coast park is not convenient. you have to take a cab which might cost 10 dollars or more.( I am not sure.) and getting a cab back to suntec city might be difficult from east coast park. Very inconvenient.) Nonetheless, you will not really be saving much money if you eat at east coast park cause the food price range is about the same as the menu's.

So if really the price of the food is a concerned, i suggest you can eat from the menu or we can meet a place with lots of food stalls, but it might be crowded and noisy. There is a possibilty we will have trouble getting seats as well. the price will be cheaper, starting from 5 to 6 dollars but they offer no beer/ wine.

Since we all will be deep in the middle of city, getting a cheap place to eat is not easy. Cafe Vic is one of the cheaper restaurant around. Not to worry too much, i am still hunting for places around suntec city area.

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

freakbaba
11-25-2008, 05:53 PM
hi raymond...well i am not really in a position to say much as i have never been to singapore...so i guess we all just have to count on you...

is cafe vic better than lobby lounge for the type of get-together we looking to have ? IMO cafe vic seems more formal and lobby lounge seems more conducive...

ok i understand your views of NOT choosing East Coast Park and rightly so...last thing we need it lack of transportation...but what about MRTS(trains and buses), i heard singapore has a very robust public transportation system. i really have no idea abt how far or how can we travel between venues...so excuse my ltd. amount of knowledge on this...

well so far Carlton seems to be the option favourable i guess..lets hope you find some more options to choose from....

(just a request, can you make sure some strictly vegetarian dishes are on offer(not even egg)....though i am beginning to realise for pure vegetarians it can be quite a task getting food in singapore...or is it not ?

before i was counting on mc donalds, but then i came to know they dont have a single veg thing on their menu...)

thanks!

let us know if u get some more options and we can all choose and decide together..

cheers,

simoncheng
11-26-2008, 01:46 AM
pretty good info round up.

PaulHellard
11-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Hi again,

I've had a chat with a few vendors and have posted a look at the SIGG Asia trade show floor content. Looks like there will be a great number of cool companies and displays. Check out just a scattering of them on the SIGGRAPH Diary.

http://features.cgsociety.org/stories/2008_11/upload/4798_sing_t.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/siggraphasia2008/index.php#s4798)

freakbaba
11-27-2008, 02:16 PM
hey raymond...weikeong was suggesting Lau Pau"...its near Suntec and a variety of food options...serves beer !

what say ?

raylistic
11-27-2008, 03:32 PM
hi,
I'm waiting for others to reply as I want to hear the comments from others?
Truthfully, do you others think it is expensive?
Cause after consulting around and personally i don't think eating 20 dollars is a lot at a place which you can have air-conditioned, comfortable seating, guarantee of seats, clean and nice ambience.

if we go to lau pa sat, food courts or hawker stalls, we might not get enough seats, the place is warm, dirty and noisy. I seriously dont wish to take the risk unless we are really budgeted.

please feel free to give your comments as days are drawing near! I need to hear from others who want to join this meet up. Targeting at least 10 people i hope!

freakbaba
11-28-2008, 05:43 AM
20 dollars ? Before it was 45 dollars plus taxes right ? Well if is 20 dollars, then definitely its a good deal.

I understand your reservations about Lau Pau and i also agree to what you saying.

I guess not many are active on these forums specially those who are coming for Siggraph Asia.

I will link this thread to the members only forum for max involvement.

raylistic
11-28-2008, 01:08 PM
20 dollars ? Before it was 45 dollars plus taxes right ? Well if is 20 dollars, then definitely its a good deal.

I understand your reservations about Lau Pau and i also agree to what you saying.

I guess not many are active on these forums specially those who are coming for Siggraph Asia.

I will link this thread to the members only forum for max involvement.

That is only if you go for the buffet. Anything from the menu is 16 dollars (food only.) Drink is another thing. I will try to get the detail menu cost by sunday.

freakbaba
11-28-2008, 02:37 PM
oh ok...yeah 20 dollars is quite decent i wud say...

a menu with cost shall be great...drinks say beer shudnt be more than around 5-9 dollars ?

i have been told that vegetarian(pure not even egg) food can be quite tricky to get in Singapore..how far is it true ? If thats the case then may be i can plan to have my food somewhere outside after the meet-up....in the meetup i can catch up with a few drinks and a little snacks(vegetarian ofcourse) to go along with it...

btw ...its on 14th right ? time ?

JCork
11-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I would totally be up for meeting up with you guys and eating. I have no preference of where to eat because I have no idea where anything is! Haha! I'm hoping to have some guidance while I am there and have people show me where everything is and take me out to show me the town.

Count me in!

freakbaba
11-28-2008, 05:18 PM
hey josh...nice to have you hear...so by now we have atleast 5-6 people confirmed, myself(Anirudh), Siva, Raymond, Wei, Josh and Jeremy(not confirmed but likely)...

my only concern is vegetarian food (since i am totally vegetarian) and a conducive place where it will be easy to interact with different people...

josh i am sure you will get many companions(including myself) who are new to singapore but at the same time very excited to explore...good times lying ahead !!!

ciao !

raylistic
11-28-2008, 05:27 PM
oh ok...yeah 20 dollars is quite decent i wud say...

a menu with cost shall be great...drinks say beer shudnt be more than around 5-9 dollars ?

i have been told that vegetarian(pure not even egg) food can be quite tricky to get in Singapore..how far is it true ? If thats the case then may be i can plan to have my food somewhere outside after the meet-up....in the meetup i can catch up with a few drinks and a little snacks(vegetarian ofcourse) to go along with it...

btw ...its on 14th right ? time ?

Hi, since we are going to be at the hotel, you can request for vegetarian food. It can be done with no extra cost usually. So not to worry. The chef can cater to your needs. Just make sure you inform the waiter when ordering the food.

Time we can put it at 6pm (1800 Hrs) at city hall train station. The meeting place would be at control station. Will you all get a name tag from siggraph or anything? That place is filled with lots of people so it might be difficult to find each other.

3mm
11-28-2008, 09:17 PM
hi every one

i wonder how to confirm for meet up?i'm in :wip:

JeremyK
11-29-2008, 01:16 AM
In case anyone was waiting for my opinion, I'm like a garbage disposal - I'll eat just about anything!

PaulHellard
11-29-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm a total foodaholic too. As I said in my earlier post, I'm there to meet people and eat food and talk a lot. I'll be on my way out over the Pacific by the 14th on another exciting adventure so I'll have to pass on the CGTalk meet.

raylistic
11-29-2008, 03:41 AM
oh, sorry to hear that paul. Not to worry, there is a siggraph reception i think. We can all had a pre meet up over there.

shir0saki
11-29-2008, 04:27 AM
hi there, first time here on cgsociety.
Am attending Siggraph in sg too, it be nice to meet up with fellow cg ppl for this big event to have a good chat.

am up for the dinner idea too.
just a question wondering who is attending the maya masterclass?

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Hi, since we are going to be at the hotel, you can request for vegetarian food. It can be done with no extra cost usually. So not to worry. The chef can cater to your needs. Just make sure you inform the waiter when ordering the food.

Time we can put it at 6pm (1800 Hrs) at city hall train station. The meeting place would be at control station. Will you all get a name tag from siggraph or anything? That place is filled with lots of people so it might be difficult to find each other.

ok awesome...so CAFE VIC seems like the venue for the meet-up. whats this control station ? is it some place at the city hall station ? as for identifying...yes i guess we shud have siggraph name tags...or may be even siggraph t-shirts...or i suggest we all try to catch up whenever we can during the siggraph also...or we can also try to be touch base here so that we are never out of touch.

if some one has a better idea, throw it here...will ya ?

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 05:17 AM
hi every one

i wonder how to confirm for meet up?i'm in :wip:

well you have already done that 3mm...just try to be active here as much as u can to be updated about the meet-up...place, time etc ?

btw you a volunteer or just an attendee ?

weikeong
11-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Count me in! I eat almost anything as well!

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm a total foodaholic too. As I said in my earlier post, I'm there to meet people and eat food and talk a lot. I'll be on my way out over the Pacific by the 14th on another exciting adventure so I'll have to pass on the CGTalk meet.

oh thats bad timing...

can we re-schedule the meet up so that as many people are able to attend...say for 13th or some other day ? as the conference will be during day time only, i am sure evening we can all meet up somewhere...

btw whats siggraph reception, when and where its happening ?

3mm
11-29-2008, 10:32 AM
well you have already done that 3mm...just try to be active here as much as u can to be updated about the meet-up...place, time etc ?

btw you a volunteer or just an attendee ?

i just an attendee:)

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 02:01 PM
i just an attendee:)

ok cool...when are you reaching Singapore...and i assume you will be at the conference all the 4 days ?

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 02:05 PM
ok this may be a stupid thing to mention...but i will mention anyways...please get your cameras...we need to cherish these meetup for times to come...

thanks!

smaranimator
11-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey people.. I'm volunteering at the event...its my first time so I am pretty excited! I have taken a sabbatical from work to study at Lasalle college of the Arts in Singapore...Looking forward to meeting all of you! Cheers! :)

smaranimator
11-29-2008, 03:46 PM
It may be a bit early to talk about this, since just last month Siggraph US happened and people are still enjoying the memories of it...

just curious...any Student Volunteers here who are on for Siggraph Asia 2008 in Singapore?

I have been selected to student volunteer too! Its my first time so I am really looking forward to it! I have taken a sabbatical from work to study at Lasalle College of the Arts in Singapore. Hope to see you guys there! Cheers!

Smaran :)

smaranimator
11-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey Guys,
I have been selected to be a student volunteer too! Its my first time and i am really looking forward to it! I have taken a sabbatical to study at Lasalle College of the Arts, Singapore. Looking forward to meeting you guys! Cheers!

Regards,

3mm
11-29-2008, 05:02 PM
ok cool...when are you reaching Singapore...and i assume you will be at the conference all the 4 days ?

hmm. me and my 3 friends will reach Singapore at 8 Dec,and yes we all in conference all4 days:)

Btw ,can any one help us about some cool places for visiting in Singapore?

JCork
11-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Anirudh, it's good to hear you and I are in the same position. I want to see and do as much as possible while I'm there. I've just heard so much about Singapore and how great it is, so I don't want to miss anything! Haha! Glad to hear we'll be exploring together!

As for the food, I'll eat anything except shellfish (because I am allergic, unfortunately because crab is my favorite food. I developed the allergy about 6 or 7 years ago). I just need to know what day, time and place we are meeting and I'll be there. The hotel may be a good meeting place if there are a few student volunteers on here who would also like to join.

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 06:17 PM
hmm. me and my 3 friends will reach Singapore at 8 Dec,and yes we all in conference all4 days:)

Btw ,can any one help us about some cool places for visiting in Singapore?

well...since i myself (like many of us here) will be visiting Singapore for the first time...i cannot really guide you per se...but yea there are many famous places like the Zoo, Sentosa, Night Safari to name a few which should not be missed. you can also visit this site for more info -

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/index.html

well dont worry...we all are here to explore together...rest assured you will have a good time in a weeks time !

ciao !

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 06:24 PM
i came across this link for places to eat...i think its a good starting point for knowing where you can explore the different culinary delights in Singapore...

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/about_singapore/highlights/index/to_eat.html

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Anirudh, it's good to hear you and I are in the same position. I want to see and do as much as possible while I'm there. I've just heard so much about Singapore and how great it is, so I don't want to miss anything! Haha! Glad to hear we'll be exploring together!

As for the food, I'll eat anything except shellfish (because I am allergic, unfortunately because crab is my favorite food. I developed the allergy about 6 or 7 years ago). I just need to know what day, time and place we are meeting and I'll be there. The hotel may be a good meeting place if there are a few student volunteers on here who would also like to join.

yeah josh...Singapore has been on my mind since quite sometime...by gods grace the opportunity to visit has finally come...we gonna surely catch up...

when u reaching, when u leaving and where u put up ?

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey Guys,
I have been selected to be a student volunteer too! Its my first time and i am really looking forward to it! I have taken a sabbatical to study at Lasalle College of the Arts, Singapore. Looking forward to meeting you guys! Cheers!

Regards,

hey smaran...sorry mate...somehow missed your post...well great to have you here...i am a SV as well...Team 2...

we are also having a CGTALK meetup...dinner, chit-chat, fun...all that jazz !!

hope to see you there too !

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 06:52 PM
hi there, first time here on cgsociety.
Am attending Siggraph in sg too, it be nice to meet up with fellow cg ppl for this big event to have a good chat.

am up for the dinner idea too.
just a question wondering who is attending the maya masterclass?

hey shir0saki...nice 2 meet u here...so u will there for dinner as well...thats awesome...more people the merrier...i am not sure abt the Maya Masterclass as i am a SV(Student Volunteer) so not sure what are my timings...

freakbaba
11-29-2008, 06:56 PM
ok things finally getting happening and active here...what with many new members been introducing themselves and posting it here..thats great...

hey RAYLISTIC...i guess we have many new members interested for the meet-up...the number surely are revised now..

i guess you wouldnt mind an approx number of people attending right ?

how about we create a new thead in the members only forum for the meet-up...i had posted a message earlier whether we can reschedule the meetup for some day instead of 14th since many people seem to be leaving on 14th...is that possible now ?

if we can fix a final DATE ASAP...we can put up a new thread and let people confirm their attendence...

what say ?

JCork
11-29-2008, 11:27 PM
yeah josh...Singapore has been on my mind since quite sometime...by gods grace the opportunity to visit has finally come...we gonna surely catch up...

when u reaching, when u leaving and where u put up ?

Oh, I was waiting for quite some time to hear back and I couldn't believe when I saw that I was chosen. I have never had the opportunity like the before, so I also feel truly blessed! Haha! I will be ariving in Singapore on December 8 at 12:30am, so I will have a lot of time to kill before we have to check in. I hope I can check in early or something. That would be wonderful.

Any tips on what I should do if I can't check in early, since it will be early in the morning? Anyone?

Thanks!

raylistic
11-30-2008, 01:22 AM
wow, so many replies.
Ok, i think we shall put it on SATURDAY, 13th December. 6pm.
Meeting place will be at city hall train station, at the exit gantry. I will try to take some pictures and post it here of the meeting place.

Dinner, meet-up will be held at Cafe Vic, Carlton Hotel.

Google Map on location. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=3+Temasek+Boulevard,+Singapore,+Singapore+03,+Singapore+%28Suntec+City%29&daddr=76+Bras+Basah+Road,+Singapore,+189558,+Singapore+%28Carlton+Hotel+%28Singapore%29+Pte+Ltd%29&hl=en&geocode=Cf5Z5_umL5JGFUTDEwAd8cEwBiFmlIRcyXFaNw%3BFSvGEwAd0KkwBiHxdfePs7OwoQ&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=1.294174,103.855584&sspn=0.015918,0.027895&ie=UTF8&ll=1.297595,103.856227&spn=0.007959,0.013947&z=17) ( from suntec to carlton hotel)
-those walking or staying nearby can get to the train station through city link. City Link is a underground walkway, connecting suntec city mall and city hall train station.

Reservations will be confirmed at the end of the day and I will opened a new thread when everything is confirmed.

Payment is only through cash or credit card.(visa, masters, American Express)

Those with singapore cell phone numbers, please email or pm me your numbers. If not, you can pm to request my cell phone number.

freakbaba
11-30-2008, 04:29 PM
wow, so many replies.
Ok, i think we shall put it on SATURDAY, 13th December. 6pm.
Meeting place will be at city hall train station, at the exit gantry. I will try to take some pictures and post it here of the meeting place.

Dinner, meet-up will be held at Cafe Vic, Carlton Hotel.

Google Map on location. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=3+Temasek+Boulevard,+Singapore,+Singapore+03,+Singapore+%28Suntec+City%29&daddr=76+Bras+Basah+Road,+Singapore,+189558,+Singapore+%28Carlton+Hotel+%28Singapore%29+Pte+Ltd%29&hl=en&geocode=Cf5Z5_umL5JGFUTDEwAd8cEwBiFmlIRcyXFaNw%3BFSvGEwAd0KkwBiHxdfePs7OwoQ&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=1.294174,103.855584&sspn=0.015918,0.027895&ie=UTF8&ll=1.297595,103.856227&spn=0.007959,0.013947&z=17) ( from suntec to carlton hotel)
-those walking or staying nearby can get to the train station through city link. City Link is a underground walkway, connecting suntec city mall and city hall train station.

Reservations will be confirmed at the end of the day and I will opened a new thread when everything is confirmed.

Payment is only through cash or credit card.(visa, masters, American Express)

Those with singapore cell phone numbers, please email or pm me your numbers. If not, you can pm to request my cell phone number.

great...13th sounds perfect...everyone would be there.... :-)

those from singapore itself, it will be helpful if you can post your contact numbers here...it may come in handy while locating you all...

cheers !

raylistic
11-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Just to clarify, any muslims or anybody who a halal diet?
Cause the cafe might not be halal.

Vegetarian is fine as I have checked, they provide vegetarian food.

Those with special diet, please voice out. =)

Thanks, I am just trying to help out.

JCork
11-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Everything sounds fine to me! I'll eat pretty much anything my body allows me to, so no worries here. I only have my US number, so I'll just have to get together with some other student volunteers from Singapore since they can call you. I'm sure that would be the case anyways. I can't wait!

swdreamz
11-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I am also a SV for this Siggraph Asia 2008...this will definitely be one of the major highlight of CG events in town after the CGoverdrive 08.

I am looking forward to meeting all SV and talk about this exciting event coming in a few weeks time. :)

Cheers,
SW

sivasketch
11-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi raylistic

Thanks for your efforts and for me any thing will be fine, I only want is to attend the meet up and I will adjust :) , It will be great if we can give priority to some place where there is less crowd and good place for chating. I know we will rock this time. I am soooooooooo exited.
Hey raylistic i have sent you e mail and i haven't got any reply :( can u pls post your email.

thanks

Cheers
Siva

Artsboy
11-30-2008, 10:55 PM
SALAM ALAYKOM/ Hello Guys

Finally. I am coming to siggraph Asia 08

I hope to can meet all of you there..

My journey start by 4th Dec and End by 14th Dec

10 excited days..

as I hope..

see you and have a nice day

randyvaliente
12-01-2008, 02:33 AM
13th of december is just perfect :)
i will arrive dec 10 and will be leaving dec 14.

Cheers,
Randy

freakbaba
12-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Ray - thanks for finding out the vegetarian stuff man...as long as i can get veg and edible...i will be rocking !

JCork - no worries mate, i am sure we shall all meet and bump in2 each a lot during Siggraph !

swdreamz, Artsboy, randyvaliente - nice to see new people posting here...more the merrier...cant wait to meet you all out there....

ciao !

p.s - hey ray, as you will be posting a new thread for meetup anyways how about to get a very precise idea of the number of people we can expect...you start with your name...and i shall repeat your name and add mine...this way with each new post, u will get an idea of the number of ppl coming...what say ?

Artsboy
12-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Thank you freakbaba for your well come

I hope to catch all you up in Singapore

and I will be really please if that happened before siggraph's 1st day

----------

I will be in Singapore from the 4th of Dec o the 14th

and I will try to visit some studios there..

My keyboard is dieing...

sivasketch
12-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi Arts Boy,

Nice to hear from you about visiting companies. Please let me know when you will visit. I am very much intrested to join you , May be many others might join us, I will be there in Singapore from 8 th to till 22 nd, I am planning to visit all cool places there. If any one is intrested please let me know. Hey Ani so finally we can have Veg food at the meetup thats cool, Thanks to Ray

cheers
Siva

freakbaba
12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
agree with Siva...visiting studios will be a great learning experience....can some one let us know how to go about organizing it...

yeah ray has been kind to me in making sure veg is available...cant thank ray enough for that ! (siva..i didnt knew even you were just vegetarian)

just a few days more before we all meet up...:D

sivasketch
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey Ani
I am not a vegie , I prefer Veg and sea food :). Now a days I almost left meat. which is really good thing for me. Yeah we all are CHooooooooo Exicted right .

Cheers
Siva

Artsboy
12-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Hi guys

Great day

I will be arrive tmw to Singapore.

and I will inform you about the details of visits if it possible...

about the Food

sea food and Veg is a good choice for me.

sivasketch
12-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Hey Fadi,

Where willl you stay at singapore ? I will be there on 8 th morning :)

Cheers
Siva

raylistic
12-03-2008, 04:30 AM
hi guys, i'm glad you all are getting along well. Please register your attendance for the unofficial meet up at the cg thread.

freakbaba
12-03-2008, 06:04 AM
hi guys, i'm glad you all are getting along well. Please register your attendance for the unofficial meet up at the cg thread.

here is the link for the thread raylitsic created for the meet up. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5536944#post5536944)

rush and enter ur names..u dnt want 2 miss out on this one !
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5536944#post5536944)

raylistic
12-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi guys

Great day

I will be arrive tmw to Singapore.

and I will inform you about the details of visits if it possible...

about the Food

sea food and Veg is a good choice for me.

Before it becomes a seafood fiesta, please note that seafood is more expensive, hence it will definitely "overshoot" the 20 dollars budget. Well, if you dont mind paying, feel free to go ahead. :)

Artsboy
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Hello guys
I am so glad to meet all of you here

Siva
I will stay in Holiday inn Atrium. its a little far from the suntec city.

raylistic
the budget is OK. but if we can find a HALAL food under the budget.
its will be better than the sea food choice.

about visiting, How about these places:
Lucasfilm Animation (http://www.lucasfilm.com/divisions/animation/)
ADM school (http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/adm/about.html)
TinyIsland (http://www.tinyisland.net/tinyislandproductions.html)

if there is any body can to contact with them it will be good
because my English of business is weak..:rolleyes:

Good luck

singleguy
12-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Wow.. seems like everyone's all geared up for the event!

freakbaba
12-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Hello guys
I am so glad to meet all of you here

Siva
I will stay in Holiday inn Atrium. its a little far from the suntec city.

raylistic
the budget is OK. but if we can find a HALAL food under the budget.
its will be better than the sea food choice.

about visiting, How about these places:
Lucasfilm Animation (http://www.lucasfilm.com/divisions/animation/)
ADM school (http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/adm/about.html)
TinyIsland (http://www.tinyisland.net/tinyislandproductions.html)

if there is any body can to contact with them it will be good
because my English of business is weak..:rolleyes:

Good luck

how can we arrange visits for LucasAnimation and Tiny Island productions ?

raylistic
12-04-2008, 10:45 AM
when do you want to visit tiny island? lucas is almost impossible. They usually only welcome invited guests. NTU ADM is a school. Should not be a problem. Let me know, maybe i can give you answers. haha.

freakbaba
12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
when do you want to visit tiny island? lucas is almost impossible. They usually only welcome invited guests. NTU ADM is a school. Should not be a problem. Let me know, maybe i can give you answers. haha.

may be if many of us are going for Tiny Island, we can fix up a time to go together ? are there any other studios located in Singapore who are into 3d Animation ?

JCork
12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
may be if many of us are going for Tiny Island, we can fix up a time to go together ? are there any other studios located in Singapore who are into 3d Animation ?

I would be up for it, just as long as my student volunteering schedule does not get in the way! Keep us posted.

freakbaba
12-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I would be up for it, just as long as my student volunteering schedule does not get in the way! Keep us posted.

yeah of course we will plan considering in mind our SV commitments...thats always right on top in priority for all events....

i am up for it...

raylistic
12-04-2008, 04:35 PM
3d Studios in singapore

Big Communications Pte Ltd
http://www.bigcom.com.sg (http://www.bigcom.com.sg/)

Black Magic Design Pte Ltd
http://blackmagic-design.com/

Axxis Pte Ltd
http://www.theaxxis.com/

Egg Story Creative Production Pte Ltd
http://www.eggstorycp.com/
http://www.eggfinity.com/

Infinite frameworks Pte Ltd
http://www.frameworks.com.sg (http://www.frameworks.com.sg/)

Intense Animation Studio
http://www.intense-animation.com/

Its Ming
http://www.its-ming.com/

Lights and Shadows Pte Ltd
http://www.lns.com.sg (http://www.lns.com.sg/)

Lucasfilm Animation Singapore
http://www.lucasfilm.com (http://www.lucasfilm.com/)

Mediafreaks Pte Ltd
http://www.media-freaks.com/

Omens Studio Pte Ltd
http://www.omens-studios.com (http://www.omens-studios.com/)

Pixel Worx Pte Ltd
http://www.pixelworx.com.sg/

Sixtrees Viz Comms Pte Ltd
http://www.sixtrees.com.sg (http://www.sixtrees.com.sg/)

Southern Star Singapore Pte Ltd
http://www.sstar.com.sg/

Sparky Animation Pte Ltd
http://www.sparkyanim.com/

ST Electronics (Digital Media) Pte Ltd (formly known as IV Lab)
http://www.stee.stengg.com/tss/companie ... media.html (http://www.stee.stengg.com/tss/companies/digital-media.html)
http://ivl-animation.com/

Tiny Island Productions Pte Ltd
http://www.tinyisland.net/

VHQ Post Pte Ltd
http://www.vhqpost.com (http://www.vhqpost.com/)

VividThree Productions Pte Ltd
http://www.vividthree.com (http://www.vividthree.com/)

2d Studios in singapore

77 star Pte Ltd ANIMATION / SFX / VOICE studio
http://anime.77-star.com/infomation.html -ANIMATION studio
http://anime.77-star.com/Production%20Section.html -SFX studio
http://animev.77-star.com/ -VOICE ACTING studio

Chips and Toon Pte Ltd
http://www.chipsandtoon.com (http://www.chipsandtoon.com/)

Dream Forest Animation Pte Ltd
http://www.dreamforest.com.sg/

Furryfish Pte Ltd
http://www.furryfish.com/

Imaginary Friends Studios Pte Ltd
http://www.imaginaryfs.com/

Peach Blossom Media Pte Ltd
http://www.peachblossommedia.com (http://www.peachblossommedia.com/)

Scrawl Studios Pte Ltd
http://www.scrawlstudios.com (http://www.scrawlstudios.com/)

Game studios in singapore:

7Cans Pte Ltd
http://www.7cans.com (http://www.7cans.com/)

10tacle Studios Pte Ltd
http://www.10tacle-asia.com/

Activate Play Pte Ltd
http://www.activateplay.com/

Boomzap Pte Ltd
http://www.boomzap.com/

Boonty Asia Pte Ltd
http://www.boonty.com/

Electronic Arts Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
http://www.ea.com.sg/en-sg/

Emerging Entertainment Pte Ltd
http://www.emerging-entertainment.com/

Envisage Reality Pte Ltd
http://www.envisagereality.com (http://www.envisagereality.com/)

Gevo Entertainment Pte Ltd
http://www.gevo.com.sg/

Ksatria Gameworks Pte Ltd
http://www.ksatria.com (http://www.ksatria.com/)

Koei Entertainment Singapore
http://www.koei.com (http://www.koei.com/)

Lucasfilm Animation Singapore
http://www.lucasfilm.com/

Mikoishi Pte Ltd
http://www.mikoishi.com (http://www.mikoishi.com/)

NexGen Studio Pte Ltd
http://www.nexgenstudio.com/

Orange Gum Pte Ltd
http://www.orangegum.com/

Playware Studios Asia Pte Ltd
http://www.playwarestudios.com/

Rainbow Media Pte Ltd
http://www.rbw.it (http://www.rbw.it/)

RealU Singapore Pte Ltd
http://www.realu.com.sg/

Red Eye Studio Pte Ltd
http://www.redeye-s.com/

SL Interactive Pte Ltd
http://www.slinteractive.com/

Ubisoft Singapore Pte Ltd
http://ubisoftgroup.com (http://ubisoftgroup.com/)

Weike gaming technology (s) pte Ltd
http://www.weikegaming.com (http://www.weikegaming.com/)

Zealot Digital Pte Ltd
http://www.soft-world.com/

I can only help to check if the studios allows visitors. If there is enough people, it might be possible.

Those interested, please register here and the studios you liked to visit. Lucasfilm is out as I know they only accept invited guests.

freakbaba
12-04-2008, 04:44 PM
whoa !!! thanks raylistic...though i have to confess i really didn't knew and expect so many studios in Singapore.....all i heard was Lucas, Tiny Island and Mediafreaks...

but of these which one are good and reputable...as in i guess not everyone will be as big as lucas(quality, employee numbers wise)....

just going thru their individual sites...will post it here whichever i would like to have a studio visit...

thanks once again for so much info !

JCork
12-04-2008, 05:03 PM
WOW! Raymond, you just lit this forum up! That's a lot more companies than I thought as well. I'm down for going to any studio. I really have no preference because I really haven't heard of any other these, so just let me know if you get a group together to visit one of these and, if I can, I'll tag along for sure!

raylistic
12-04-2008, 06:23 PM
i'm sorry guys. Tiny Island is not available for visits. It is not easy to get permission but I will try. The reason is that they wish to protect the privacy of their work. We shall see how.

sivasketch
12-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi Raymond
thanks for the list of companies
I hope we can visit Lucas and Tiny Island. Try your best.

Cheers
Siva

raylistic
12-05-2008, 02:35 AM
i'm sorry guys. Tiny Island is not available for visits. It is not easy to get permission but I will try. The reason is that they wish to protect the privacy of their work. We shall see how.

Tried. No possible to visit.

freakbaba
12-05-2008, 05:48 AM
sad for us...though i can understand their need for privacy...so which studios raymond do you think will alllow visits ?

sapienz
12-05-2008, 06:11 AM
This is a nice suprise...
I would like to join in some of the studio tours even they ever gets organised.

PaulHellard
12-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks Ray,

It is certainly a great cross section of the studios in Singapore, whose staff, no doubt, will hopefully all be absent because they are allowed out to be part of the inaugural SIGGRAPH Asia, taking place in their own home city. :)

It'd be a crime if they're not.

I'm free Tuesday. Any studio want to invite me? email me! :wavey:

oskiki
12-20-2008, 06:21 PM
thanks for the list Raymond, I was trying to make my own, but your list is more complete,, Thanks.

By the way, I was visiting ILM Singapore last week, and they have there like they own city.
I'm trying to create the possibility to visit them again.

I will tell you more as soon as I get more info.

Thanks again

Oskit

thenar
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I attended SIGGRAPH Asia as a speaker and I can tell you that the coverage here at CGSociety has been excellent. Paul even mentioned the excellent food at the SunTek Centre food court. I think I discovered the best coffee in the world there. The presentations I went to were all quite good. A few of the papers were poorly delivered because they were more "read" than "presented" but overall I'd say most were very well done. I ran into the gang from Ballistic there and we had a good time. Great people doing impressive work. Next year the venue will be Yokahama Japan. That should be very interesting. I hope I can work out a trip to that one.

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.