PDA

View Full Version : Aug / Sept & Oct / Nov cartoon rigging challenge_TimForbes

TimForbes
09-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi all,
Just starting my WIP thread for the Cartoon rigging challenge. Just waiting on you tube upload before I get a WIP video up here.
I've been using maya for nearly a year now and have been interested in rigging and scripting since I started buit i've never had any feedback as I know no one that can rig. So I'd really appreciate any comments so I can start improving my rigging techniques.
Cheers,
Tim.

TimForbes
09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
here we go kito WIP no1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eIYvgct8yo

also here is a sript that I wrote to speed up the ribbon spine setup for my kito rig. I based it upon Xenoids ribbon joints tutorial.

RavenEye
09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey Tim,

I like what you have going with your rig. Somethings that I have noticed is that your feet are not sticking to the ground. This is happening while your moving the hips. Do you have the ik stretch hooked up to your legs. If not adding that will keep the feet more planted. I like the way you have your legs jiggling, but it looks like those controls could be a pain to grab a hold on too. What are your plans on getting the head into the shell? I'm asking this because the way the shell and the body are weighted together. The neck squashes down but so does the shell. Anywho, keep it up. I like where you're going with it.

rikkiknight
09-02-2008, 11:31 PM
some nice concepts there dude. Certainly much more finished that mine!
I know your controls aren't finished yet but becareful with them, make sure their easy to distinguish from one another, theres lot of implict spheres there that look very similar.
Looking forward to the next update, keep up the good work

TimForbes
09-02-2008, 11:59 PM
cheers for the replys guys. i'll try to work on all those points for my next edition. As yet I dont have the stretch set up yet and yes I definately havent crossed the bridge of the neck yet. Might get stuck into that one soon.
Cheers,
Tim.

xenoid
09-03-2008, 03:12 AM
Looking good Tim. Keep going. :thumbsup:

joshpurple
09-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Looking good Tim. Keep going. :thumbsup:

Xenoid said it right :beer: ! Excellent work Tim, and I made sure to give your YouTube video 5 stars :) !

I dig the belly/body action you've got set-up (legs, arms, and head too!).

TimForbes
09-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Hi guys, once again thanks for the comments above. Its also been great seeing what you guys are doing with your rigs as it has helped me learn some new techniques and pushed me to think outside the box a little.

Here is a new video. Pretty much I rebuilt the legs and arms - the arms still need to be rebuilt again as there isnt enough control in there. I've set up the stretchyness and the shrinking head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfWUJqu5xY

As before I still have the hair dynamics to make the shell jiggle but I still need to develop some non-dynamic animatable deformations for the shell.
The skinning needs some work, but as I'll be rebuilding a bit of the rig it will do for the moment.

Cheers,
Tim.

rikkiknight
09-20-2008, 10:45 AM
looking very nice dude!
cleaner controls and those arms and legs are looking great!

joshpurple
09-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Looks great!

I see all of the Maya rigs, and I'm very impressed with how good they look & how well set-up they are. I'm still a newbie with MaxScript -which makes it very time consuming for me, but (being curious about MEL) how time-consuming do you find it working with MEL? (XSI makes me very curious to :) ).

Keep up the good work!

RavenEye
09-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Looking good!

Hey Josh, I know with my submission. I wouldn't have been close to finishing it without some scripting knowledge. I create several on the fly scripts specific for this project. I mostly used for in loops. I have very minimal knowledge on maxScripts. I haven't rigged in that program in over 4 years.

joshpurple
09-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Hey Josh, I know with my submission. I wouldn't have been close to finishing it without some scripting knowledge. I create several on the fly scripts specific for this project. I mostly used for in loops. I have very minimal knowledge on maxScripts. I haven't rigged in that program in over 4 years.

Thanks for the reply Nathan. Good tip, -slowly I've been building up my MaxScript library :) . And, wow! 4 years, -what made you move?

RavenEye
09-22-2008, 02:16 AM
What made me move? School made me move. The school I went to, at the time, taught Max and Maya. They taught max at the beginning and then Maya. I fell in love with Maya during that time.

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2008, 02:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.