PDA

View Full Version : Color Dodge

rusky
04-26-2002, 04:17 AM
Does anyone knows why the "color dodge" (and color burn) in Photoshop 6 and 7 is different and not "cool" like the 5 one .. ??
there is something to do.... to fix .. it ??
i mean... if i have a background image and i add a new layer with "normal" opacity and i draw a withe brush stroke if i change opacity style in "color dodge" nothing change.... with PhotoShop 5 .. i could see a "glow effect"...
i hope someone... understand me....:suprised:
and can give me... a hint
thanks ;)

ACFred
04-26-2002, 11:27 AM
Hi,

I hope this doesn't sound insulting, but are you sure that you have the right layer selected when you're dodging and burning?
Also, make sure you have set high enough -- it doesn't have to be set too high to see results.

Do a test with the range set to Midtones. You'll be likely to see changes there.

Let us know if that doesn't help.

Alec

windowlicker
04-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Yeah, it's true - they changed color dodge/burn with 6.0. Not sure just how it's changed, but monochromes don't do what they used to. If you use a bright color, say bright yellow, you can maybe achieve the effect you're looking for... or just install 5.0 on your system! ;) I sometimes try to use "overlay" instead of "color dodge/burn", and the result is ok most of the times...

kiwi
05-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Ya you are right they did change them.Their used to be a workaround on the Adobe PS users forum on Adobes site :)

Stu.

wurp
05-30-2002, 03:31 PM
thats easy to fix.

Just open up the properties for the layer and pull down "fill opacity" a bit

windowlicker
05-31-2002, 03:04 PM
True wurp! I think you should call yourself something other than "novice". :applause:

rusky
05-31-2002, 04:01 PM
yes... with FIll % you can control the "gain" right ?
thanks !
:bounce: :applause: :thumbsup:

wun
06-21-2002, 12:47 AM
yeah the dodge effect u talkin about in v5 was a mistake...
it was actually 'broken'... and was fixed in v6.....

to the dismay and outrage of many ppl...
some even asked adobe for a filter that mimicked the broken feature in v5....

i read about this somewhere it had all the technical background on what was broken and so forth...

hang on let me see if can find it...

brb

hehehe found it

"The PS5 version of Color Dodge had a serious defect. It was not the "near zero" effect---it was the "zero" effect. In PS5x,any near-zero but non-zero channel behaves "continuosly" as they say in mathematics. That is, as you change channel value there is no abrupt change in the blend resultant. But when you go that last step from 1 to zero (on a 0-255 scale), the blend all of a sudden jumps to an entirely different fully bright color from what you got just one tiny color level away"

windowlicker
06-25-2002, 11:15 AM
I'll be darned! So that's how it is, huh? Too bad they didn't just add another blending mode... Generally I think there should be more blending modes! A whole lot more! Yeah!! :argh:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.