PDA

View Full Version : particle color values higher than one?

dougie0047
09-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi!
I'm rendering some small particles (sprites) that are quite far away (on a black background), and they kind of dissapear, which is bad, but I would like to be able to see them as little light spots. So, I'm wondering if it is possible to set colour values to higher than one (superwhite) in some way?
It is especially bad when I use motion blur, even when closer up. When I set their colours to, say two, as per object or PP, I see no difference in the render.

thanks,

Dougie

fedayi
09-01-2008, 11:48 PM
does it only dissapear in the render, or also in the viewport?

my initial thought is that the particles go beyond the far clip plane of the camera.
what i would suggest, is increase the far clip plane of the camera, from the camera attributes. and then try.

i would say just add an extra 0 (zero) to the number so if initially its 1000, make it 10 000.

render that out and see.

its either that, or ur rendering in maya software, when sprites should be rendered in maya hardware.

check wich rendered your using, and if its not maya hardware, change it to maya hardware, and then render.

dougie0047
09-02-2008, 01:02 AM
thanks for the reply fedayi,

but nope. It's got nothing to do with clipping planes. I see the particles fine, but they are too dim. The scene is very large, and the particles small, but if I start to mess with their scalePP I'm afraid that I will end up destroying the sense of scale.

Think of stars on the sky. They are really small, but many of the are still very bright. What I get is just something that appear mid gray-ish.

Dougie

Als
09-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Yes, you can boost your particles, both by raising color gain in file to higher value (try 3).
Or incandescence to 1?

Als

dougie0047
09-04-2008, 11:24 PM
thanks, for your reply Als.

I've now tried to raise the colour gain, and the incandescence. The problem with this is that I loose colourinformation when doing so. Things just go towards white. I guess I can use it when the particles are far away, but it seems that I just have to live with it when the particles are close up. I would love to be able to both raise the intensity and keep the colourinfo at the same time.

32 bit floating point doesn't seem to be a renderoption though...

Actually, I cannot even render out 16 bits per channel images when I think about it. When I try, I still end up with just normal 8 bits per channel images. Any idea of why? Am talking about hardware rendering here, if that makes any difference...

Dougie

Als
09-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Just to it in moderation, and you should be fine. You can keep the color where it needs to be and just raise incandescence, until it's good.

Also rendering sprites with RMfM is really big difference, and also 3Delight does it quite nicely.

Thanks

Als

dougie0047
09-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I would love to use RMfM, but I don't have it, so I need to stick to maya/mental ray.

cheers!

Dougie

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2008, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.