PDA

View Full Version : Referencing a whole skeleton, limitation or bug?

Octagon
06-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi there,
Iīm working on a rig that has separate animation and deformation skeletons. The latter is referenced and constrained to the anim skel.

Iīm trying to figure out why the hell Maya drops most of the connections to the def skel, when reloading the scene.
What i mean is, I setup all the connections and save the scene. To this point everything works fine. Anim skel movement is passed to def skel perfectly.
But when i reload the scene the referenced def skel has lost all of its connections to the anim skel, except for its root joint, last spine joint, and wrist joint. The def skel is kept to the anim skel by direct connections mostly. And Iīm not doing _anything_ differently on the root, last spine or wrist joint. Argh!

After swearing ībout Mayas referencing for some hours I found a workaround for this bug or referencing limitation.
I noticed everything works just fine when I first reference the def skel, then save the scene, then reload it, and then constrain def to anim skel. What I did before was build anim and def skel, reference out def skel, constrain def to anim skel, save. after reload all the connections were gone.

Please, can anyone explain this to me? Is there something going on with Maya correcting itīs own (or mine, the users) faults when saving and reloading? Thereīs no error or warning msgs when loading, saving, referencing.

Btw, what about that strange reference node that comes with every namespace? Clicking through the tabs in the AE doesnīt show any info at all and no way to correct any errors.

:annoyed:

frustrated,
matthias

Buexe
06-04-2003, 11:01 PM
In my experience doing anything else than putting keyframes on a referenced character is pretty much a waste of time. Not that I could not imagine a thousand situations where it would be extremely useful to put something like a constraint on a ref, but it just never worked out. All I know is that Maya when you open up a scene looks what is referenced checks if the appropriate animation nodes are available and connects them. Maybe connecting to a node rather than constraining might give a result? I haven`t tried it but maybe ... who knows. And are you sure that you have to connect both your skeletons this way and can`t get around this ref stuff?
Just 2 cent
buexe

Octagon
06-05-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Buexe
? I haven`t tried it but maybe ... who knows. And are you sure that you have to connect both your skeletons this way and can`t get around this ref stuff?
Just 2 cent
buexe

Well, the very essence of what I do with my setup is referencing. So I'd rather don't cut _that_ feature out ;)

As I said in my initial post, I save and reload the scene after referencing the deformation skel. This fixes the issue with the lost connections.
It's really a hack, but right now, it's working for me.

Matthias

dwalden74
06-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Hi Mattias-

The def skel is kept to the anim skel by direct connections mostly

Why donīt you try constraints instead? I work regularly with referenced characters and constraints and have never had the problem you describe.

:beer:
David

Octagon
06-06-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by dwalden74
Hi Mattias-
Why donīt you try constraints instead? I work regularly with referenced characters and constraints and have never had the problem you describe.

:beer:
David

Actually I never tried constraints, since they were really bringing the rig down performance-wise. I mean, I had like a testscene with 30 rigs with a non-referenced, but separate deformation skel using constraints. it ran at 5 fps on a really fast p4.

the direct connection method ran at 25 fps so i'd rather stick to my save scene workaround for now.

Anyways, thx!

matthias

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.