PDA

View Full Version : Game Icons - character - Dhin

Dhin
06-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Okay, I'll have a sketch tomarrow. But to day story and Game type. Tell me if this shoulds good, and any crits on what ever is very welcome.

Game Type: FPS/Ortho 3rd person (think Max Payne of melee/hand-to-hand fighting and UT for projectile fighting. Togglable)

Game Idea: Lost Glory take place in the gettoesque back allies of northren european cities. The Once great Houses of the Angelus have fallen into ruin, 4 house have been lost in the Great War, and the Deamonic Armies grow ever bolder in their attacks upon the gates of glory. The Councel of the House have been reduced to the three Ancient Arch-Angelus Michael, Gabrael, and Raphiel. Desperate time call for desperate messures, the recrutment of the first Non-Saint to serive in one of the great houses of the Angelus. His name in mortality was Jonas Caleb Scott. A small time crimanel with no redeaming qualities except for the fact that he took a full clip of hollow-point's for a 9mm at point-blank to save an innocent child. This one selfless act caught Michaels attention and Cause his intervetion to save and brought Caleb into the fold. Caleb was further advance with in the ranks of Michaels House with out the "proper" training or meditation upon the light. Caleb now stands as a Seriphan warrior of the House of Holy Light. His charge is to bring about the Fall on the Deamonic Armies. . . BY ANY MEANS POSSABLE!

Character Description: Unlike any of the other Angelus, Caleb has black hair (instead of blond,) and his wind instead of the pure white of a Holy Soul, are heavily edged with raven-black tips reflecting his own inner surge of evil and malic. Caleb also lacks the arua that the Holy Souls use to heal others, restore life, and combate evil. . . Thought this fact make Caleb rather weak compaired to other Seriphan Warriors, he has a large advantage when trying to hide from evil as the arua would give away his identity.

Kid-Mesh
06-04-2003, 02:05 AM
Well from a designers stand point this is very intresting. It feels more like Rpg slash Christian Adventure game :cool:

Any way it sounds cool, looking foward to the character sketches.

cbadger85
06-04-2003, 03:11 AM
sounds like you trying to gor the jedi knight style where melee is 3rd person and everything else is first unless you toggle into the 3rd person mode. Your character reminds of an anime called yuyu hakusho in which the main character is kind of a bully but he dies saving some kids life and gets to return to the living except he has to do things for the spirit world like slay demons and such. Anyways, I like your story it's cool, can't wait to see the concept sketch.

Dhin
06-04-2003, 08:04 AM
Okay here is a QUICK(20 minutes or less) concept sketch of Caleb.

http://www.angelfire.com/id/Dhin/Textfiles/FG_Caleb.txt

Name: Jonas C Scott (aka Caleb)
Height: 185 cm (about 6' 1")
Weight: 85 Kg (about 187lbs)
Hair Color: Silver Black
Eye Color: Silver rimmed with red

Occupation: Formerly mafia numbers runner and other criminal activities. Currently an Immortal Seriphan Warrior for the Angelus House of Holy Light
Criminal Record: Longer then my. . . well it's long. A career criminal, though he has never actually been convicted or served any hard time. Caleb's record begins at the age of 14 and continues up until the arrest that resulted in his being shot 12 time in the back as he dove in front for the arresting officers gun using him self as a human shield to protect a young child playing with a squirt gun. The arresting officer is under investigation.
Quote: "Remind me as to why I'm risking my life, not to mention my immortal soul for you guys? Oh ya cause with out you I wouldn't have either, ya ya I remember now."

As far as it being a "Christian Adventure game," well theology does interest me and I used parts of Judaic-Christian beliefs about heaven and hell, but all doctrinal or canonized beliefs are left at the door. Though I thought I would add a little from the Divine Comedy. I just find the whole struggle between good and evil on a super-natural level with humanity caught in the middle to be a very good starting point for any captivating story idea. Add the fact that the protagonist is the most unlikely hero (to the extreme of impossibility) and you get a believable hero with character flaws that made Greek tragedies great. Pitting a mortal man against both heaven and hell is nothing new but it still catches the imagination. That's why people still read Homer for fun.

Dhin
06-10-2003, 07:50 AM
I'm still working on the concept for the character.

http://www.angelfire.com/id/Dhin/Textfiles/ang_cal.txt
What do you think of this costume? It's still rough, but I think I getting closer to what I want.

I just read two other after-life angel type game threads here. If I had known it would be such I popular idea I would have tried for something more unique. . .but since I posted my idea first then I'll let myself keep believing that everyone else is copying me cause I had such a good idea. . . :D, just teasing, but should I change to something more unique? I don't want people to think I'm doing some thing common or unimaginative.

Dhin
06-11-2003, 12:50 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/id/Dhin/Textfiles/wip_caleb.txt

Just a quick start last night. Just thought I'd put it up. Still a lot to do. I've only used 600 tris so far, so I still have room to play since I'm shooting for less than 2000 for the body with armor and wings. I figure the head and face will be about 1000, and the hands shouldn't be more than 500 each (unless I have to make them simpler then they won't be more than 100 each, leaving 800 for weapons.) If I have a good week, I'll have the model ready to rig and texture by weeks end. Though more likely than not I'll only get time this weekend to do anything.

Stygian
06-17-2003, 02:01 AM
looking forward to seeing progress Dhin .. You know we are going to HAVE to do a group shot of yours, mine and SpaceJase' together :bounce:

Dhin
06-17-2003, 07:27 AM
Hey, that would be fun.

I've been refining my concept a little more trying to improve the gritty edge that my character needs to have while mantaining a look that suggests holy power. This is a kinda difficult ballance to find.

As the modeling goes though I've actually gotten most of the body finished now and started on the wings. I think using alpha is the only thing to do to get the wings right though. So I can keep them fairly simple. I also need to start on the weapons he'll be holding (a Beretta M93R - with silencer and gripmounted laser sight; and a big ass angelic sledge hammer.)

I'm not sure I'll finish in time since my home life has become increasingly complicated. (The wife says the baby room has to be finish before the kid gets here. . . and that's only 2 to 4 weeks away now.)

Stygian
06-17-2003, 08:17 AM
well congrats :beer: on the little one And having some experience with women in the last part of pregnancy I completely understand :) but we have till the 12th so you'll finish

Dhin
06-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Thanks this is actually number 2 for me, so I've been through it before. I know what to expect. I'm actually gonna start just getting up earlier in the morning so I can work on the stuff I want to do before I need to go to work.

SpaceJASE
06-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Congrats indeed!
I'd like to take notes on how you juggle all those things AND do CG for fun! :)

Update already! :scream:
jk - no pressure.

Dhin
06-18-2003, 05:14 AM
SpaceJASE - sleep less. :D

Dhin
06-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Okay a few updates, to show that I am doing something.

http://www.angelfire.com/id/Dhin/Textfiles/wip_solid.txt

I need a little advice though. Which wings are better?

Choice 1 : Polycount - 1912
http://www.angelfire.com/id/Dhin/Textfiles/wip_wing2.txt

Choice 2 : Polycount - 2358
http://www.angelfire.com/id/Dhin/Textfiles/wip_wing1.txt

I'm not sure which to us. The first one will require more work with the texture but will help to give me a few more polies latter on, but I like the way the second choice look, though there style might not work with what I am trying to portray.

SpaceJASE
06-19-2003, 04:25 AM
I think it depends on what you want to do with the character's style.

Choice 1 may suit his evil nature more and contrast a 'stately' uniform better.

Choice 2 may contrast his evil nature more but give away his true motives in the game.

It definitely looks like a choice between bat-wings and bird-wings and any ...characteristics that are assumed to go with those species.

I like #1 better... that gives you more polys for a gun and hammer, right? :)

cbadger85
06-19-2003, 07:23 PM
I like #1. #2 just doesn't look right.

Dhin
06-19-2003, 09:39 PM
Just alittle to add to my progress

http://www.angelfire.com/id/Dhin/Textfiles/caleb.txt

current face count is 2575

Dhin
06-24-2003, 03:15 PM
I've been playing around and decided to try a bit more of an anime look for my character. This is a rough sketch but I think I like the look so I'm gonna try to change it to look this way more (since I haven't done the head yet, it souldn't be to hard to atler. . .I hope.) Anyway I haven't really decided yet, so what do you guys think about the change?

http://www.angelfire.com/id/Dhin/Textfiles/anime_Calib.txt

Stygian
06-24-2003, 05:29 PM
the only thing I'm not currently digging it the severe point up on the wings. unless you are actually gonna go for a clawed wing look . Other than that I like how its coming along :applause:

Dhin
07-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Sorry Guys, I'm not gonna be able to make it. The dead line is to close and I have too much to do to find time to CG right now. Number 2 is almost here and that mean the wife is requiring more from me than ever, and number 1 isn't understanding everything that is going on so it up to me the keep him really bussy for the time being. At work thigs have also heated up since I'll be take half a year off once the new baby gets here. So I pushed to finnish my projects there as well. I'll keep working on this model thought and maybe even make it into a UT2K3 character when I'm done. Thanks for all the help and support though.

Stygian
07-05-2003, 08:01 AM
well sorry to hear your not gonna make the deadline Dhin but let us know when you finish him up and we'll still do the angelic group render or somethin' with them .
And Good luck with #2 and keeping #1 busy :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.