PDA

View Full Version : The Showdown - Character - Assie

westmeadow
06-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Ok, first challenge for me guys and gals, and first real animation. Maybe I should give up now?!?!?!:rolleyes:

I will greatley appreciate everyone's help in ripping my work apart! I thank you!

Assie :bounce:

OH YEH, the challenge!!! For now, I will tell you, it will contain a big guy, a lil skinny guy and a pig! For now, you can make up your own stories!:surprised

post soon

sketchyjay
06-03-2003, 07:10 PM
good luck, sounds like it will be fun

Jay

westmeadow
06-03-2003, 08:34 PM
cheers Jay,
a lil overview of the story so far:

A rather skinny guy is enjoying a sandwich while sitting on a rock with his pet pig next to him. Behind him sneaks another character (the audience only sees his arms). This character snatches the pig (now sqealing it's lil heart out). Our skinny guy looks around for his piggy, seeing that it isn't there and sensing someone behind him, he spins round, fists up and ready for action. To his suprise, you are introduced to the stranger, who is considerably taller and stronger looking than the skinny guy. *Insert funny fighting actions* Just when you thought the lil guy was in for, the pet pig jumps to his rescue, digging his teeth into the big guys crotch!! i will leave it there i think!! hhhhhhmmmm

I plan to make it quite snappy and all!!

What do you all think??

westmeadow
06-04-2003, 10:48 PM
k, lil update.

Already feeling a bit behind here! I have spent a few hours working on one of the characters, im new at all this, so dont expect too much!!

EDIT: Added a head and hair, need to make eyebrows i think!

Will post soon

http://members.lycos.co.uk/assieuk/sofar01.jpg

datter
06-05-2003, 04:38 AM
Looking good. His arms may be a tad long, but it depends on what you're going for. I tend to work in a similar style sometimes, so I'm digging this. :)

datter

MVP
06-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Excellent idea, good luck.:thumbsup:

westmeadow
06-05-2003, 06:56 PM
cheers people,

Datter: I really want to use the arms as a source of his emotion and to enforce the idea of him being very weak!! Also, when they are by his side, they only just fall above his knee! Thanks for the comment and goodluck with the challenge!

MVP: Thanks mate, should be a fun way to learn for me, good luck with your challenge!

I will post more soon, i am playing with the idea of having no mouth, just eyes and eyebrows!! any comments?? hhhmmm

sketchyjay
06-05-2003, 07:01 PM
with no dialogue you really don't need a mouth. Or maybe use a texture image of a line so you have it to frown and such?

Jay

westmeadow
06-05-2003, 07:36 PM
yeh, had a similar idea where i could maybe use an animated texture for the head to update the facial expressions (like in Zelda, The wind waker) But, i will stick with the eyes for expression!

Sorry if the zelda reference made no sense!

Assie

westmeadow
06-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Ok, i have updated the image above! Basically i have the first character modelled and boned. I am going to use FK for everything apart from the legs, but I am having trouble doing this being a beginner. I have read through so many tutorials on this subject but i cant get along with any of them! any advice? I have posted the bone structure below! At the moment, i am just playing with HI solvers at the ankle joint.

Any rigging tutorials for max apart from those that ship with it, the Kicrea and michael comets?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/assieuk/sofar02.jpg

Thanks,

lildragon
06-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Assie
I am going to use FK for everything apart from the legs

You positive? :) will your characters be holding anything?

-lild

westmeadow
06-06-2003, 07:12 PM
not this exact character, but the big bad guy will! but i was thinking about just using a link constraint for the object to the characters hand bone! Where else will i need IK?

I am about half way through producing a storyboard/animatic, so you'll get a better idea of what is happening! I am still stumped with leg IK btw :D

Assie

westmeadow
06-08-2003, 09:19 PM
k, i almost gave up on this challenge, and i am still pretty close to doing so!! Ok, here is what i have so far, my first character modelled and rigged, although i think i am going to have trouble animating this guy!! we'll see! I know some of the skinning is really poor, but it's all about the motion, right??
http://members.lycos.co.uk/assieuk/sofar03.jpg

Kid-Mesh
06-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Well I wouldnt give up, the true purpose is skill development. No matter what try your best and see it through...completed or not.

Your doing good so far and its only been a week almost since the contest started so just dial it back a bit and research on what you need to learn.

Other than that you can only progress as far as your motivation will take you.

Keep up the good work!

westmeadow
06-13-2003, 09:56 PM
thanks for the reply Kid Mesh. still going :p uuummmm... really busy at the moment so progress is very slow. I have posted a progress animation (my 1st ever animation at that)! By the way, this guy is sniffing a sandwich! hehe

Showdown Progress - 1.23mb (http://members.lycos.co.uk/assieuk/assieshow.mov)

westmeadow
06-14-2003, 12:04 PM
is 1.23 such a big download for a progress shot, or is it really that bad?

Assie

Throbberwocky
06-14-2003, 01:31 PM
I like it! The motion looks natural and expresses the emotions quite well. I would like to see more of those "ambient" motion though.

Well ... nothing more to say. Go on and on and ...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.