PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Animations

fusedgore
08-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Just a few questions .I am just starting to animate stuff and i was wondering why it takes so long to render animation and is there anything i can do to speed up my renders .I only ask because i created a basic ball rolling up a ramp with fire on it in maya and when i try to render the 200 frames it seems to take forever .Or how do other people who arent working at major companies rendering their animations .

My specs are

3gb ddrram2
3.0 ghz intel pentium 4
gt 8800 nvidia 1gb card.

lo
09-02-2008, 03:38 PM
They usually use either local or external render farms with sometimes hundreds or thousands of machines, each one probably much faster than a pentium4 (the main thing that goes towards render speed is the CPU).

You should be aware though that getting even one modern machine, let's say a Q9550 quadcore, will let you render approximately 10 times faster.

Having said those two things, optimizing your renders to go faster is an art form in itself and you should definitely explore all settings of the render engine you are working with.

fusedgore
09-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Lo what do you use to render personally .

lo
09-02-2008, 04:28 PM
JOr how do other people who arent working at major companies rendering their animations .

I'm sorry, I read that as 'people who are working at major companies'.

I don't do much perosnal work, and it's almost never animations. The trick is getting the rendertimes way way down... faking complex effects... try to understand what's causing it to be slow and see how you could do it a different way.

fusedgore
09-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks allot lo .Some awsome help man i appreciate it allot .I guess my next thing is to upgrade my processor and maybe buy a renderboxx .LOL .I wish .But thanks for all the help though .

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2008, 06:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.