PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Faces Another Wii Lawsuit

RobertoOrtiz
08-31-2008, 02:37 PM
A company called Hillcrest has alleged Nintendo violated patent infringement in two separate complaints–one in civil court, one with the US International Trade Commission.e:
Quote"

While the ITC complaint is expected to take fifteen months to process, if it holds, the organization can block the sale and import and Nintendo Wii consoles. Not helping a defense case is a looming decision to block the sale of Wii Classic controllers, pending a Texas court decision stemming from a $21 million judgment against Nintendo. Other suits are pending in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Wilimgton, Delaware, as well as another in Texas."

http://www.tssznews.com/2008/08/20/nintendo-faces-another-wii-lawsuit/

CaptainObvious
08-31-2008, 08:14 PM
So, when are you guys going to sort out your broken patent/IP legislation?

Lexalotacus
09-01-2008, 02:27 AM
I like Nintendo... In fact, I wish I was Mario.

JoshBowman
09-01-2008, 03:03 AM
How fun! I'm about to sell my Wii because the games are generally boring. Maybe I should have held onto it until this lawsuit is either dropped or upheld, then I could sell it for muchas moolah because of the shortage.

JamesArndt
09-01-2008, 04:21 AM
Anyone have any ideas how this would impact developers just starting out to develop on the Wii?

ffear
09-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Anyone have any ideas how this would impact developers just starting out to develop on the Wii?

It won't effect installed user base. They can still purchase games.

richcz3
09-01-2008, 06:10 PM
These things can take years to resolve and yes there needs to be a serious patent legislation overhaul. See Microsoft vs Immersion (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20080827/bs_nf/61558) suit resolved 2002-2008. Most if not all cases end up in a settlement. Unfortunately for Nintendo they've had a raft of suits lately.

lebada
09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
it would be smart of those companies NOT to block sales (or attempt to) in order to establish a more friendly(if u can call it that) relationship with nintendo where they might get some money but nintendo still makes their share and loses less on the settlement (kinda)

its a card that is in the smart lawyer's hand..or so id assume. If you can get a win - semi loss out of it (assuming the trial does have some truthiness to it and stands up in a court) i dont think nintendo would disagree (too much)

but it depends on numbers and such and such...etc

i hate trials and lawyers lol

richcz3
09-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Corporate lawyers aren't paid to play nice. In some cases like this where the lawsuit wins, these companies out of necessity (licensing) work together. Whether or not these suits appear unjustified - more often than not these companies offer industry wide product.

In the case of Microsft vs Immersion - Sony actually caved in and began licensing virtually forcing MS to settle.

I can only think of one case in the past 10 years where a court didn't favor the litigant (Rambus of Pentium 4 fame) tried to force makers of SDRAM for patent infringement (http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-257339.html&tag=mn_hd). Not only did they lose, but where handed huge court fees. Nevertheless Rambus has been to court multiple times since and won. It still continues to work with and license tech to other memory companies.

cheebamonkey
09-02-2008, 06:23 PM
How fun! I'm about to sell my Wii because the games are generally boring. Maybe I should have held onto it until this lawsuit is either dropped or upheld, then I could sell it for muchas moolah because of the shortage.

I'm with you... it's an ugly white paperweight which has the knack for gathering dust. I won't miss Nintendo.

Venkman
09-02-2008, 08:40 PM
In the case of Microsft vs Immersion - Sony actually caved in and began licensing virtually forcing MS to settle.

Microsoft licensed first and settled with Immersion, and stipulated that if Sony caved in that Immersion would pay Microsoft $21 million. Then Sony caved in, settling with Immersion. And then Immersion (the company that sued all the companies to begin with!) didn't pay up fast enough in 2007 to Microsoft, who sued Immersion back to honor their original settlement.

None of it makes sense. I don't even know if people make money on it anymore, or if all this money just goes towards the lawyers.

http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_immersion-pays-microsoft-21-million-ends-legal-dispute_1480.html

CaptainObvious
09-02-2008, 08:48 PM
None of it makes sense. I don't even know if people money on it anymore, or if all this money just goes towards the lawyers.
The word is not "lawyers" -- it's "looters." Anyone who seeks to sue someone else over something like this is a looter. They are no better than robbers or burglars. In fact, they are worse: the criminals at least never claim that they're the one who has been wronged by the victim.

Want to make money? Build a product people want to buy!

Venkman
09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Want to make money? Build a product people want to buy!

Or sue the person who made the product that people want to buy. ;)

StylizedCarfan1
09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I read the whole story, and I found this which makes me says what the ****?

While Hillcrest Labs has a great deal of respect for Nintendo and the Wii, Hillcrest Labs believes that Nintendo is in clear violation of its patents and has taken this action to protect its intellectual property rights

If Hillcrest Labs respect Nintendo so much, why would they sue instead of notifying the Nintendo companies in a sincere and nice way? Hillcrest Labs needs to rethink this.

animateddave
09-03-2008, 03:27 AM
People should sue nintendo for making them stand around flailing their arms like a jackass every time they want to play a game.

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2008, 03:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.