PDA

View Full Version : Wich steps do i take first? -- MAYA

Biox
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Hello,

I have modeled a t-rex and i want to be able to animate him fully later on, so what i need help with now is, wich steps do i take first...

1. Modeling than uv mapping
2.Riging
3.Animate
4.Put texture on the already animated model
5.render

Im probebly wrong so please corect me, tell me how a good 3d artist would do. And i use Maya

mousework
08-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Hi Bioux,

Precess usually goes like this (if working with MAYA).

Model
UV mapping then texturing including creating normal maps if you need to.
Once model is done then you need to rig the character. Rigging needs to be thought thouroughfully and planned out depending on the animation you wanna do/type of character. Rigging is really important cause good rigging will make animation easy. Once rig is done do the smooth bind, paint the the skin weight.

Once this is all done then you go into animation.

Animation is a hardest part of all. Anyone can move a model from A to B the animate it, but to make a good animation you need to know the principal of animation which is:

"TIME AND SPACE"

Maya is just a tool, the animation should come from you.

if you want to become an animator please don't spend life on becoming MAYA master, Character rigging is essential for animator, but you have to choose which is more important to you.

Hope this help
Cheers

Biox
09-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi Bioux,

if you want to become an animator please don't spend life on becoming MAYA master, Character rigging is essential for animator, but you have to choose which is more important to you.

Hope this help
Cheers

Thanks for the reply,
but What do you mean with "choose which is more important to you" choose between what?

Biox
09-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply,
But what do you mean with "but you have to choose which is more important to you." choose between what?

mousework
09-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi,

What I meant by "choose which is more important to you" is between learning MAYA and learning animation.

Maya is just tool for your animation. The animator is you and you use Maya to put your animation to CG form.

It is essential to know Maya to be able to animate, but animation itself is it's own field.

Don't spend your time learning modeling, UV mapping, texturing etc if you want to animate.

Just learn how to animate. Download free rigs and play around with that. If you want to apply a job as an animator, you need to show the employer how well you bring a 3d character to life, not your modeling skill or any other 3d skill.

Hope this is clear.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2008, 10:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.