FINAL MOVIE

http://www.geocities.com/tartan_jonny/movies/final_movie.avi

sketchyjay
06-03-2003, 08:12 PM
good luck

jay

westmeadow
06-03-2003, 09:36 PM
yeh, enjoyed seeing your last challenge develop. Goodluck!

Assie:bounce:

jonnymac
06-05-2003, 07:04 PM
no stoy yet , just this sketch!

MVP
06-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Weebles wobble but they don't fall down! Good luck, looks like its gonna be a funny one...my favourite kind!:thumbsup:

littlebrother
06-06-2003, 03:20 PM
I like your sketches - very interesting and entertaining. What is the story behind the fight if you have one?

jonnymac
06-16-2003, 04:39 PM
hey guys, been away for a week, so have'nt done anything for a while. Here is one of ma models, basic but should do the job!

jonnymac
06-16-2003, 05:59 PM
yo! update.

jonnymac
06-17-2003, 02:00 PM
HURRY!

See the wonderment :eek: that is the 'OFFICIAL' new Jonny Mac CGTalk Animation Challenge Website!

www.geocities.com/tartan_jonny/challenge.html

view my test movie by right clicking......

www.geocities.com/tartan_jonny/movies/punch.mov

:bounce:

lildragon
06-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Heh quite a nice lil jab there, can't wait to see more.

-lild

Milho
06-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by jonnymac
view my test movie by right clicking......

Haha just noticed again that a Mac (at work) has no right mouse button ;)

jonnymac
06-17-2003, 05:03 PM
should be able to just click and hold on a mac

grury
06-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Hey Jonny, it rocks, literally...:bounce:

Fasty
06-18-2003, 05:18 AM
Haha, this really has potential. I love the model of the boxer, and he moves pretty well so far. Can't wait to see more!

jonnymac
06-18-2003, 03:13 PM
ok guys, here is a crappy animated gif thats kind of an animatic!

http://www.geocities.com/tartan_jonny/boxer.gif

jonnymac
06-19-2003, 07:20 PM
blocked all of it in, just need to polish it off and do all the secondary stuff!

http://www.geocities.com/tartan_jonny/movies/boxer10.mov

jmcalpin
06-20-2003, 01:11 AM
lol wow that's great.

fix the feet and add a chain or something for him to catch on and you got a final piece

J

Monkey Boy Mark
06-21-2003, 05:06 PM
Hey man, nice work!:thumbsup:

Looking at the camera angle used – is this gonna be the final one used? Or are you just using it to show off the anim as a whole?

:lightbulb Maybe you could use the angle as a gimmick - add some overlay graphics to make it look like a side on fighting game.
I dunno, just thinking out loud. I think it suits the animation as any fancy work would interfere with the fantastic simplicity of both style and content.

I do often prefer quirky solid pieces of work compared to over ambitious cinematic attempts. I guess they can be more successful as the artist can concentrate on entertaining the audience. It can be tricky though, as it does rely on the animation more. Looking at the animation itself, I think that there’s a coupla thing that could be enhanced before you move onto tweaking it fully. I’ll just list them as a series of points that you may or may not agree with…

After the initial punch the wibble should never stop moving especially during the lull where the boxer is on his guard. I’d like to see it rotate a bit more around it’s up vector, as it would make its motion a bit more random and natural.

The taunt – I think that the boxer should adjust his stance for the taunt, to accentuate the pose and add some extra variety to his actions.

Here’s the biggy… The final attack might need reworking overall as I think it would be better if the boxer tried a really big jumping punch, which would be more in keeping with his character. The momentum of this attack could project him forward, landing on the wibble that he has just punched to the ground, which rebounds him up to the light fitting.

Lastly, the swings at the end seem to get faster which just seems odd.

Erm, that’s all from me. Sorry if I seem over critical. But it’s just an enthusiastic first post!!!

Look forward to seeing what you finish with!

Good luck!:cool:

jonnymac
06-21-2003, 05:33 PM
yup. i agree with what your saying marky boy. Working on the wibble timing and the swinging at the end. Think i might change the way i'm deforming the wibble. Its just a lattice at the moment.
hard to replicate swinging wibble motion realisticly!!!!

Monkey Boy Mark
06-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Yeah, lattices can be a bitch to tweak. How about shapes for bending extremes in the four main directions and blending them for basic wibble action with more specific shapes for impact deformation and other squash and stretch occasions. Would that work?

IMO You should lock down the main object rotation without secondary animation on it at all as it restricts your willingness to make major changes and can also cloud your judgement about the overall timings. I know as it overpowered an animation of mine in the past where I let the main motion suffer at the expense of similar secondary actions. Boo.:banghead:

:airguitar You are definately on to a good start tho'

jonnymac
06-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Wise words my friend.

Think i'll just give it a wee skeleton, possibly add a couple of blend shapes.

:airguitar

Monkey Boy Mark
06-21-2003, 06:45 PM
I agree - a skeleton would be the best soloution in the long run but definitely get some blend shape squash and stretch action on the go to keep up the cartoony feel.

Have fun! :cool:

jonnymac
06-23-2003, 09:02 PM
little update of the last few seconds, which have been doing ma heed in of late.

getting there.

http://www.geocities.com/tartan_jonny/movies/progresstwo.mov

MVP
06-24-2003, 05:48 PM
I love the idea but I don't really understand what has happened to the boxer! Is he being impaled on that light? Hence if he dies then wouldn't his hands dangle downwards? I don't get it, sorry!:shrug:

jonnymac
06-24-2003, 06:19 PM
um, yeah. I have'nt finished doing the secondary animaion yet.
plus it makes less sense without the wire for the light, have'nt had a chance to do that yet.

:beer:

jonnymac
06-27-2003, 07:39 PM
hey guys,

i've redone the wibble animation. its getting there!

http://www.geocities.com/tartan_jonny/movies/re-wibble.mov

:buttrock:

grury
06-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Lookin good Jonny, defenitlly gettin there.
maybe it needs a bit more time to come to an halt, maybe go back and forward 1 more time, and its arms go a wee further on that second. motion.

Throbberwocky
07-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Did you use any dynamics? If not then this one rocks! If yes it still rocks! ;) Great hob!

jonnymac
07-01-2003, 06:55 PM
nope, everything is hand animated! i wish there was a make this react how it would in real life button!
Thought about mabye using jiggle deformers for the wibble, but would have led to general kakness i think.

glad you enjoy!

:cool:

ROPA
07-02-2003, 04:03 PM
damn... I can't open those files....

jonnymac
07-02-2003, 05:55 PM
yup its the kakness that is geocities.

try right clicking and saving, or copying the url then pasting it into a new browser window!

inspleak
07-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Its really starting to look good man!
Keep it up!
the only thing that I would say, is maybe bounce the wibble
off of the floor after he is hit? you know all the way back... I think that is what happens when you really whack 'em :)

good luck!

jonnymac
07-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Right guys, here is the "finished" animation. Would have liked to spend a while doing some final tweaking and rendered it, but i really dont have the time!!

http://www.geocities.com/tartan_jonny/movies/final_movie.avi

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.