PDA

View Full Version : MEL > Plugin?

Anchuvi
06-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi all,

I have a tool I have been working on for a few years but at the moment it is a series of scripts.

How do I convert them to a plugin file? (.mll)...Thats if its possible...

Thanks !

gmask
06-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Anchuvi
Hi all,

I have a tool I have been working on for a few years but at the moment it is a series of scripts.

How do I convert them to a plugin file? (.mll)...Thats if its possible...

Thanks !

You could compile a pluign and have it execute the MEL code as sort of a protection if that is what you are after.. I do not think there is any conversion..at least not an automatic one..

Anchuvi
06-03-2003, 08:17 PM
How do I compile a plug-in?

:)

gmask
06-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Anchuvi
How do I compile a plug-in?

:)

With a compiler.. I guess you need to consider learning some C++

Hugh
06-04-2003, 01:21 AM
Take a look at Complete Maya Programming - by David Gould - this is the best (and only) book on the Maya API at the moment....

Why do you want to convert the scripts to a plugin? To make the run faster? Or to stop people finding out how you did what you did?

If it's the first, then gmask's original idea won't work, as it would actually run slower. If it's the second, then gmask's idea will work for the general user, but if anyone really wants to find out how your code works, they wouldn't have much of a problem (there are programs that will extract strings from a binary file, and the MEL commands would all be stored as strings)

The only other option here is to completely re-write it using the API's system - this would take a long time, though - especially if the tool has taken you two years so far....

The third option is just to trust people ;)

gmask
06-04-2003, 02:05 AM
>>>Why do you want to convert the scripts to a plugin? To make the run faster? ...If it's the first, then gmask's original idea won't work, as it would actually run slower.

I never said MEL scripts would run faster from a compiled plugin? Theoretically if you rewrote the functions in the API it would.

Hugh
06-04-2003, 02:22 AM
sorry - that question was directed at Anchuvi, not you - I was sure that you understood the differences ;)

gmask
06-04-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Hugh
sorry - that question was directed at Anchuvi, not you - I was sure that you understood the differences ;)

Sorry I didn't mean to be pedantic ;-)

Anchuvi
06-04-2003, 12:02 PM
The reason I am looking to convert to a plugin is because I am hoping to sell these tools via the web...

I suppose I will just have to trust people...:)

Hugh
06-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Well, you could always convert them to a plugin that just calls MEL scripts...

However, this would (probably) run slower than the MEL scripts straight off, and the code would still be accessible.....

steveblake
06-06-2003, 05:31 PM
What do these MEL script tools do?

Just curious..

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.