PDA

View Full Version : The Showdown - character - Kid Mesh

Kid-Mesh
06-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Strapping on the gloves for what will prove to be a challenging but thrilling ride!

Good luck to all :thumbsup:

sketchyjay
06-03-2003, 07:20 PM
good luck to you,

jay

Kid-Mesh
06-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Well here goes,

My attempt is going to be that of a cinematic one (crosses fingers). The objective will be to display a cinematic scene in a would be fighting game where the character you have choosen has reached the final boss and defeated it. Thus the reward for the player is seeing it unfold again after the game is over but in story mode fashion.

Background story for the game:

Viewed as rumor and folklore there exists an account of a tournament that is held for slain warriors known as "Anuk Sha" or in other circles "Gladiators of the Damned". Ages ago the gods of the universe have set into motion a set of rules that govern the outer reaches of spiritual exsistence and those rules state that "If a lifeform takes on the role of a warrior and engages in combat over the course of their lifetime whether spiritually they are good or evil they must then compete in "Anuk Sha" for enternity.

"Anuk Sha" is not for fame nor glory but for the gods to reconigize which lifeforms posses the skill and power to take a seat on the council and continue the watchful eye and reign over the outer worlds.

Every one thousand years "Anuk Sha" is held and the victors race is reconigized. But during the hiatus of the last tournament, Que an evil and sinister elder god who had once won a tournament eons ago planned to gain full and total control of the council and ploted a twisted plan that would shift the balance in the universe so his living decsandants would benefit and rule for all enternitiy. But before Que could put his evil plan into motion he was discoverd and brought before the council of the gods.

During the trial for the termination of his soul he discoverd a loop hole in council law that would allow him to do battle in an upcoming tournament in the event he was to ever be relieved of his seat. If Que were to win "Anuk Sha" then he would return to the land of the living as a seed planted in a unsupecting host and start life anew but the caveat that the gods are counting on is that if he were to lose then his entire living lineage would be wiped out.

Now forced into a situation of uncertainity the gods have no choice but to grant this request and send him back to to the "Isle of Warrior Souls" to await the next tornament.

Within the last 400 years a mighty and skillfull warrior by the name of Krell was killed in a battle for his home planet and has been sitting in limbo awaiting for "Anuk Sha" to begin. Unknown to Krell the gods are counting on him to defeat the evil and sinister Que so order and balance can return to a universe that has an uncertain future.

It is now a full cycle of one thousand years and "Anuk Sha" has begun, the fate of the universe lies in the hands of Krell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tommorow I hope to upload some character sketches :cool:

Cheers,

DarkSkills
06-04-2003, 12:55 AM
:eek: :applause: That story is tight!:thumbsup:

Kid-Mesh
06-04-2003, 01:17 AM
Well unlike most I dont have any characters at my disposal that I can animate that fits the story line, so it looks like its totally from scratch here on out.

With that im mind, time is precious so Im not going to get into full blown long drawn out concept pics because I have a tendancy to want to flesh them out all the way.

What I will do is post bits and piceces along the way though like head shots or half body shots etc when appropriate.

Here is a rough and grimey concept of "Que"...

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/que_headshot.jpg

One thing to note is that Im not sure yet if Im going to go low poly or not. I just dont want to get caught up modeling a lot of details...losing out on time and making it difficult to animate in the end, so it will be intresting to see how my concept characters translate to 3D.

Kid-Mesh
06-04-2003, 03:13 AM
Here is a rough and grimey concept of "KRELL"

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/krell_headshot.jpg

Now at least I got the visuals out of my head and on to paper. Hopefully by the weekend I will be able to post some WIPmodel shots.

Cheers

Kid-Mesh
06-04-2003, 05:06 AM
Well here are some quick and dirty story boards, I will uses this as my foundation when i start the animation process.

Defintely not trying to shock and awe anyone with these sketches :D

[ Boards ]

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/boards.jpg

[ cont ]

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/boards2.jpg

Descriptive story board sequence by the numbers:

1. Scene starts with character flying into camera backwards from obviously being punched by the attacker.

2. Hero starts to lunge forward towards attacker while the attacker takes a defensive position.

3. Attacker counters the lunge with a right cross and knocks the Hero backwards into a backflip.

4. Hero uses the momentum of the backflip to try the lunge again.

5. Heros lunge proves successful and knocks the attacker backwards off balance.

6. Hero breathes heavy while watching the attacker gather himself and begin to rise to his feet.

7. Both combantants are back in a combative pose.

8. Hero starts into a quickly initiated roundhouse kick catching the attacker off guard.

9. Hero completes the roundhouse kick and upon connecting knocks the attacker backwards and off his feet.

10. Hero faces the camera with a grin breathing heavily with a glimpse of the attacker behind him in the distance laid out sprawled eagle and defeated.

DarkSkills
06-04-2003, 01:26 PM
I'm scared of Krell:D Looks like you've got a pretty wicked battle shaping up here:thumbsup:

sketchyjay
06-04-2003, 05:09 PM
are you going to use several camera angles?

might be fun to have side shot of krell fly into shot skid and stop then switch to a long shot from behind krell on ground as Que stomps up...

We can use more than a master shot this time so I'm thinking in camera angle terms today...

Looks like a great fight is on it's way.

jay

Kid-Mesh
06-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Here is the latest WIP of KRELL the hero character

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/3d%20head%20shot%20krell.jpg

When I started modeling the hair I didnt really like how it was coming out so I decided to go straight bald head and define his features beyond that. Not to mention that originally (following the concept pic) I purposely gave him a huge forehead and that looked kinda odd with out hair LOL...

Since were not being judged on modeling Im just seeing what I come up with...but the Villian is defintely gonna have horns.

Im hoping to have the body modeled late sat eve or early sunday morn. Then I can start rigging :bounce:

Kid-Mesh
06-06-2003, 10:05 PM
SketchyJay: Atm Im not sure but Im thinking that I would... currently I havent thought about that too much since Im working on the models.

grury
06-07-2003, 12:26 AM
One word....:buttrock:

DarkSkills
06-07-2003, 12:54 AM
Man, check out that neck...This guy is gonna be a brute!:thumbsup:

Kid-Mesh
06-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Yeah, Im defintely going for a muscular look...

Also modeling has come alot easier for me since I have been able to study some of the models released by cgtalk and those especially by proton :beer: Gotta love that guy!

Gru: Thanks man

Kid-Mesh
06-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Here is the lastest WIP on KRELL....

I was running into some issues with muscle placement and such...(since im not built like this) so I pulled out my Hogarth collection, Cant you tell :scream:

Anyway, its very stylized and over exaggerated...I like it. Plus my roots are heavy in comics, so cats like Joe Mad have heavy influences on my work.

Forgive me because Im just a wee bit excited about the HULK.

note: Krell will not be green.

LOL...

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/Krell_bodyshot.jpg

DarkSkills
06-07-2003, 10:15 PM
*gasp* :eek: I-It can't be...*Vegeta eyes shimmering* Krell is a beast! :applause: I see someones been studying his anatomy;)

Kid-Mesh
06-08-2003, 08:57 AM
For what its worth... the Hero model is done except for textures etc... which if I have time I may add. Im trying to keep it simple for animation sake.

Anyway, I will proably still tweak this model due to porportions being a little off and such but as far as Im concerned its ready to be rigged.

Later,

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/completed_krell.jpg

ROPA
06-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Drawing are like for horror but model is more cartoon , what will be when U finish ? Can't wait to see....

Kid-Mesh
06-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Argail: Yeah, the drawings were defintely designed to inspire. The main character did turn out to look cartoony especially since I didnt model the hair etc.

While working on the hero model it just made more sense to keep him simple, although I did model the interior of his mouth so I could pull off that expression.

Maybe not having a texture for the body and modeling clothes for him is giving him a cartoony look as well...oh well, its not going to be cell shaded though.

Lets see what I can do for the villain...I defintely want to keep his look.

Prubaby
06-08-2003, 08:21 PM
I like how Krell is coming along...I think the green looks good too:thumbsup:

ilasolomon
06-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Hello! :wavey: I sit here waiting for the show'down! :thumbsup:

Kid-Mesh
06-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Hey ILA :wip:

Glad you checked me out...thanks.

DarkSkills
06-09-2003, 03:44 AM
:thumbsup: Looks like you're making some real headway here. Can't wait to see the villian;)

Kid-Mesh
06-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Ok, I have had my modeled Rigged and pointed weighted since Sunday but Im having some IK issues atm...flipping issues to be exact.

I hope to have this resolved soon so I can start making head way.

Heres hoping to post something within the next 48 hrs.

Cheers....

Down but never out!

Kid-Mesh
06-13-2003, 05:42 AM
Five days of pure hell :banghead:

But I refuse to give up...I guess thats why I like this contest because its really pushing me and making me more determined each day.

I can say this much though...I know more about Rigging, Point Weights and IK setups now than I ever have.

Anyway, I finally resolved the flipping issue and was able to do some semi-posing and deformation testing...now I will test out the model with a few animations and then I need to bang out the Villian model like yesterday.

There are a few things with my model I need to resolve and fix but its minor, so based on the schedule I created for myself Im right on track.

Dont count me out yet :cool:

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/Rigged_Krell_bones_show.jpg

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/Rigged_Krell.jpg

DarkSkills
06-13-2003, 01:28 PM
:eek: Whoa! This is really shaping up to be something else! Makes me want to take another look at this thing you call, Lightwave:thumbsup:

MVP
06-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Thats looking great.

I am at exactly the stage you were at 5 days ago and so have a lot of headbanging to do this weekend and LOTS of learning!

You make it sound like you were learning the riging process as you went along...is this so? If it is then I was wondering if you used any tutorials or reading material to help you because I need all the help i can get with weighting and rigging Big Tina! :shrug:

Kid-Mesh
06-13-2003, 02:20 PM
MVP: Yeah I have actually been learning the process as I go. One of my main references for setting up the rig has been the book by Timothy Albee [ LightWave 3D 7.0 Character Animation ].

Its pretty good in some areas especially rounding out some things about IK I didnt know. (I have read the book 3x already). Im not using the skeletal setup from that book though I built one that I personally like better but the book gave me a solid foundation. When its all said and done you will just find what works best for you and your particular model.

My background is mainly 3DSMAX and I have been exposed to doing things (the MAX way) when it comes to rigging, but now that I dont have access to that app any longer and we switched to LW, Im just learning the specifics of the software on the animation side.

Another good resource is #cgtalk on IRC (freenode server) #lightwavers and #lightwave3d (efnet servers) Its all ways nice to kick it in real time to some cats that are in the know.

But Im still a newbie to this side of CG...Im just glad to be where I am right now.

MVP
06-13-2003, 03:28 PM
NO WAY!! I ordered that book off amazon 2 days ago, hoping it will help me get from the modelling which I enjoy to the animation which I enjoy without hating the inbetweeny part! I'll have to check out that IRC thing also. Its difficult when you don't work in the industry and you do't have internet at home! For some reason my work frowns upon me doing non work related stuff during working hours!!

Looking forward to seeing Krell in action.:thumbsup:

Kid-Mesh
06-13-2003, 03:34 PM
:scream: , yeah man good deal.

Once you get the book I know I will see your character rigged and ready to rock!

O.Martin
06-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Looking good so far. Please post some test animations.

Kid-Mesh
06-15-2003, 07:44 AM
No rest for the wicked :twisted:

Worked on testing out my rig and it works great.... just one problem. I spent about 4 hrs getting something i liked after teaching myself the best way around my rig and my pc crashed.:argh:

Needless to say I was pissed but oh well, I know better...I didnt save a thing.

So after taking a break and watching the Animatrix DVD I figured Id better start on the villian character, because I will play with that rig all day for sure.

Anyway, Im going to try and knock out the body tommorow and have him rigged by monday night. Then I can play....

Also this time Im trying to stick as close to the concept art as I can.

Later fellas,

2D Concept

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/que_headshot.jpg

3D Translation (6hrs)
http://www.madmotion.net/renders/que_head_wip.jpg

Kid-Mesh
06-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Well, I finished up 'Que' to the point to where he is riggable so Im going to stop here for now and rig him.

If time permits I would like to add a few small garmets or some type of cloth / skirt to him and some wrist bands...who knows.

Anyway here he his....

http://www.madmotion.net/renders/que_completed.jpg

After I complete his rig then I can start posting some animations :bounce:

DarkSkills
06-16-2003, 07:22 AM
:buttrock: This project is coming along quite nicely. Keep it up:thumbsup:

MVP
06-16-2003, 11:36 AM
A skirt????
Why not give him a bra as well while you're at it!!;)

Looks good though, i reckon a braveheart typpe kilt shoulder draped thingy would suit him, looking forward to animations. :thumbsup:

Kid-Mesh
06-16-2003, 11:54 AM
LMAO, dude I was obviously tired :applause:

My bad, I defintely didnt mean a skirt... a kilt is what I meant.

Thanks man...I cant believe I even said that :eek:

grury
06-16-2003, 12:00 PM
Yeah dude, now you gonna have all the Scotts on your door step, you better hide :wip: :scream:

jonnymac
06-16-2003, 06:16 PM
:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

Kid-Mesh
06-16-2003, 09:02 PM
LOL, Johnny...if its any concellation "BRAVE HEART" is one of my FAVORITE movies. :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.