PDA

View Full Version : Particle goal speed

rcronin
08-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi particle gurus@!
I have particles on a plane with the plane as a goal. The particles moves towards their goals very quickly, then slow down as they reach the goal. Is there an attribute to make the
particles reach their goal PP's at a uniform speed? I want a linear move without acceleration.
Cheers, Ryan.

*Another strange thing going on...has anyone tried to have particles travel across a curved surface (say a sphere) -surface as goal, colliding with surface with an instanced cube on the particles...?
As the instanced particles reach their goal, they become unstable and jittery. I've played with friction/resilience/tesselation still nothing.

drGonzo
08-31-2008, 07:16 AM
I have a particle on a plane with the plane as a goal. The particles moves towards the goal very quickly, then slows down as it reaches the goal. Is there an attribute to make the
particle reach the goal at a uniform speed? I want a linear move without acceleration.

Add goalU, V and parentU, V
Then in creation:
particleShape1.goalV= particleShape1.parentV;
particleShape1.goalU= particleShape1.parentU;
particleShape1.goalU = rand (0,1);

In runtime:
particleShape1.goalV +=.005//this is the speed of the parts

*Another strange thing going on...has anyone tried to have particles travel across a curved surface (say a sphere) -surface as goal, colliding with surface with an instanced cube on the particles...?
As the instanced particles reach their goal, they become unstable and jittery. I've played with friction/resilience/tesselation still nothing.

Try lowering the conserve a bit, or write an expression that increases the mass to 1000 when goalU/goalV = 1.

rcronin
08-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Thankyou kindly dr.
I'll try out these tests a.s.a.p. Cheers, rY

rcronin
09-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi There Gonzo,
This parent U/V expression doesn't seem to work for me. The particles move quickly towards the goal, slow down then repel in the other direction. Lowering speed stops the u/v reverse but the particles still have drag on them.
Basically I want to remove the default rushing then slowing (ease out) of the particles towards the goal and have them move at a constant, linear rate from the start until the end of the goal. PS these particles where drawn on the surface, then goaled to the surface.
Any ideas? rY

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2008, 05:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.